The Student Room Group

Best university to study Illustration?

Hello everyone! I have chosen to take an illustration course, but I am not sure which is the best place to do it. I would really love to study in London, or Edinburgh, but I have also heard that it is very hard to get in the Edinburgh University.. I am not from England and I have only heard a few things about 'this' and 'that' university

If there is someone with experience in illustration courses or just being informed of the topic, could you give me some advice? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by stpiddogish
Hello everyone! I have chosen to take an illustration course, but I am not sure which is the best place to do it. I would really love to study in London, or Edinburgh, but I have also heard that it is very hard to get in the Edinburgh University.. I am not from England and I have only heard a few things about 'this' and 'that' university

If there is someone with experience in illustration courses or just being informed of the topic, could you give me some advice? Thank you! :smile:

My son did painting at Edinburgh and has had no complaints at all. The illustration course seems really good, certainly from the experience of his friends and from what I saw at the degree show. He has AAB at A level from the days before A* came in, and an art foundation, but I think some of his peers got in with lower qualifications than that. Because he had already done his A levels, his offer was only conditional on getting a merit in his foundation course. As an international student, your qualifications will obviously be different and I suggest you call them up and speak to lovely Cameron in the ECA office, if he's still there.

Edinburgh is a great place to be a student and it has a lot of opportunities for artists because it's a capital city, it is a tourist destination and it has the Edinburgh Festival, which is the biggest arts festival in the world, I believe. I don't know anything about the universities in London from first hand experience, but there will be many on here who do and they will no doubt come along and give their point of view.
Reply 2
This probably won't be much help, but I'd advise you to stay away from the 'big names' in London (UAL).
Reply 3
Thank you! :smile:
I recently went to check out Edinburgh for Illustration, only problem I found was that it only took max. 20 people, so less chance of getting in. Also it's four years instead of three and as I'd have to pay (I'm from England) I decided not to apply. Don't know if that helps you or not :smile:
Original post by EliseChocolate
I recently went to check out Edinburgh for Illustration, only problem I found was that it only took max. 20 people, so less chance of getting in. Also it's four years instead of three and as I'd have to pay (I'm from England) I decided not to apply. Don't know if that helps you or not :smile:

If you do an art foundation course, which is free if you are under 19, you go straight into the second year, so it costs you no more than anywhere else. Just in case you were still interested.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If you do an art foundation course, which is free if you are under 19, you go straight into the second year, so it costs you no more than anywhere else. Just in case you were still interested.

Already sent off my application :smile: I'm hoping to avoid a foundation year, don't know how realistic I'm being though :/ Also, Edinburgh is very far from home for me. I did love the city though :smile:
Original post by EliseChocolate
Already sent off my application :smile: I'm hoping to avoid a foundation year, don't know how realistic I'm being though :/ Also, Edinburgh is very far from home for me. I did love the city though :smile:

Well, good luck with all that. :smile:
Reply 8
But the course fee in Edinburgh is 1820 pounds per year. Isn't thant cheaper than all the universities in England?
Original post by stpiddogish
But the course fee in Edinburgh is 1820 pounds per year. Isn't thant cheaper than all the universities in England?

I'm afraid that's the old system which ended in 2012. The fees for English and Welsh students are £9000, just as at most other universities.
Why do you say that? (I'm thinking about applying to ual)
Original post by Felix-Vivo
This probably won't be much help, but I'd advise you to stay away from the 'big names' in London (UAL).

Why do you say that?
I am studying Illustration at ECA, dude. YOU WILL LOVE IT! reputation for exellence and nice place and tutors!
Original post by ECA student
I am studying Illustration at ECA, dude. YOU WILL LOVE IT! reputation for exellence and nice place and tutors!

I was going to plug ECA as well, as my son is a former student, but as that's all I ever do on here, I thought I'd better back off! It is, indeed, a wonderful place.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I was going to plug ECA as well, as my son is a former student, but as that's all I ever do on here, I thought I'd better back off! It is, indeed, a wonderful place.

Hello,

I was just wondering if you have any inclination on what to include in my portfolio, anything specific that they'd like to see, for example? Also, how did your son find the interview?

Thank you.
Original post by RyanDeanHobson
Hello,

I was just wondering if you have any inclination on what to include in my portfolio, anything specific that they'd like to see, for example? Also, how did your son find the interview?

Thank you.

Portfolio advice here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132

ECA don't interview. It's just a portfolio review while you get taken round the premises by tour guides. (This is six years ago, so I don't know if things have changed.) That said, he reckoned that he got the offer because he was the last one to pick up his stuff and it all fell on the floor, so the lecturer/s helped him pick it up and got talking to him because he's chatty.

Quick Reply

Latest