The Student Room Group

The Earnings vs. Cost of Living Crisis: A Perfect Storm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bill_Gates
Although Gold underpins our economy, its a risky investment in my view. As the supply is so volatile a government sell off or deposits found can dis taught the market. Let alone the cost of holding gold. True capitalism is brilliant and obviously more profitable than hoarding gold but Britain's lost its way in the new world. With government ideologies of Labour interpreting the economy moving into a golden age of knowledge have taken us away from the basics of production. Now Tory give us a dangerous dose of austerity against the basics of the economic cycle.

The UK and the US will have been keeping the price of gold down on purpose. Emerging economies should be learning from our mistakes and backing their currency with gold, which would drive the price up.

With the mystery that surrounds the US Federal Reserve, nobody really know what it is. There seems to be evidence it has been selling gold it doesn't have.
Other. Scrap NI. It's a tax on the lowest earners and actively discourages employment. Oh, and while they're at it they could scrap the CAP as well and open our markets to imports from Africa. That way we can stop paying for the same food 3 times (once at the point of sale, once through the CAP and once through aid payments to the African countries whose farmers go bust because the CAP is cutting them off from the best available market)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pane123
I am so glad there is someone else with a realistic view of the state we are in on here.

I always tend to advocate gold as a safe investment. While it may not make money, it should keep its value. A lot of people cannot grasp the idea that the £20 notes in their wallet might not be able to buy anything quite soon.

Gold is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. The gold standard had significant flaws to it.
Original post by Rakas21
Economic inequality - This starts at birth and requires measures taken to increase equal opportunities. What we need is an outright expansion of grammar schools, an education voucher system and for free schools (as great an idea as they are) to require a mandatory English bac and qualified teachers. Lets allow the poor but bright kids to have as good a start in life as anybody else. We also need to abolish the current housing allocation models for social housing which result in mass areas of deprivation.

House prices - Big problem but the answer here is simply to give tax breaks for developers who build within 3 years of buying land and in addition we should build more social housing.

Food prices cannot really be helped, personally i'd rather scrap CAP and focus on supporting fruit and vegetables

Transport costs - Remove all moderation of competition clauses from rail franchises and encourage open access operators to compete. Stop subsidizing unprofitable rural lines. Nothing we can do about cars really however the cost of electric cars are falling rapidly and the EU is rolling out charging stations en mass from 2020.

Energy and Water - Very tough, especially since we do have profiteering but at the same time actually about 80% of profit is reinvested. Statoil treatment is one option (partial nationalization - 45% stake but private management) however if VAT was abolished and the green levies payed for by spending cuts elsewhere and general taxation we'd lower prices by at least 10% and could cap rises.

Bar the minimum wage i pretty much oppose all you measures in their pure form.

The IEA reckon that the CAP is most of the reason why our food prices are 117% of the global market price, while our farms are less productive than countries with lower rates of subsidy.

If their numbers are even close we could cut food prices back to pre-recession levels at a cost of -£3bn or so. Not too shabby.
Reply 24
Original post by MatureStudent36
Gold is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. The gold standard had significant flaws to it.

I do appreciate that is a problem.
Original post by natninja

Savings controls - someone who has an unreasonably large amount of saving doesn't really need it, and it would be much better off in circulation... admittedly the banks do help a bit with this issue... but not as much as if the money had been spent and therefore redistributed into the pockets of many.

This is just mad. Saving is investment; investment leads to growth
Original post by chrisawhitmore
The IEA reckon that the CAP is most of the reason why our food prices are 117% of the global market price, while our farms are less productive than countries with lower rates of subsidy.

If their numbers are even close we could cut food prices back to pre-recession levels at a cost of -£3bn or so. Not too shabby.

CAP was set up to ensure that Europe could feed itself. Remember the horrors of food shortages during WW2 was still a recent memory to most. The French benefit the most from CAP as France is still surprisingly agriculture based. It's also a hot political potato in France so the French will never go for it.

I don't claim to be an expert on CAP but I'm sure I watched something about it many months ago. I'm sure a representative of the garners union pointed out that the result of the removal of CAP would result in increasing food prices as it would shut down a lot of farms.
CAP was set up to ensure that Europe could feed itself. Remember the horrors of food shortages during WW2 was still a recent memory to most. The French benefit the most from CAP as France is still surprisingly agriculture based. It's also a hot political potato in France so the French will never go for it.

I don't claim to be an expert on CAP but I'm sure I watched something about it many months ago. I'm sure a representative of the garners union pointed out that the result of the removal of CAP would result in increasing food prices as it would shut down a lot of farms.

The idea that it would increase food prices is based on a number of false assumptions.

Firstly, it assumes that the method of food production the CAP subsidises is the most efficient available. This is not true, as many EU farms have altered their practices with the aim of qualifying for subsidy (eg. splitting large fields into smaller ones, leaving unnecessary fallow land to get money aimed at encouraging crop rotation etc.).

Secondly, it assumes that the cost of the subsidies is not passed on to the customers (a hidden food cost as it were of roughly 77 euro per person per year),

Thirdly it assumes that there are no farms outside europe which would be able to export to the uk.

Finally it assumes that the more efficient farms which don't shut down (essentially, those that aren't currently government subsidy projects to support wealthy landowners) wouldn't expand to fill the gaps the closures leave in the market.

But this is all theory. Let's look at a case study. Australia, a country running subsidies at 4% of farm income (as opposed to the EU's 28%). Their food prices are at 86% of the EU level and their farms are 164% as productive (not sure how much of that is climate based, but I doubt it's a huge amount).
Original post by chrisawhitmore
The idea that it would increase food prices is based on a number of false assumptions.

Firstly, it assumes that the method of food production the CAP subsidises is the most efficient available. This is not true, as many EU farms have altered their practices with the aim of qualifying for subsidy (eg. splitting large fields into smaller ones, leaving unnecessary fallow land to get money aimed at encouraging crop rotation etc.).

Secondly, it assumes that the cost of the subsidies is not passed on to the customers (a hidden food cost as it were of roughly 77 euro per person per year),

Thirdly it assumes that there are no farms outside europe which would be able to export to the uk.

Finally it assumes that the more efficient farms which don't shut down (essentially, those that aren't currently government subsidy projects to support wealthy landowners) wouldn't expand to fill the gaps the closures leave in the market.

But this is all theory. Let's look at a case study. Australia, a country running subsidies at 4% of farm income (as opposed to the EU's 28%). Their food prices are at 86% of the EU level and their farms are 164% as productive (not sure how much of that is climate based, but I doubt it's a huge amount).

Thanks for that. Can I just raise a few points though.( not in a confrontational manner either.)

Could it be said that Australian farms are more efficient as they're larger and benefit from economies of scales. European farms tend to be smaller and less industrial.

If you opened up imports more do you not run the risk of raising food prices in poorer parts of the world?

From a strategic point of view, should Europe not be taking the hit on slightly higher food prices to ensure that it maintains the capability to feed itself. Nobody knows what's around the corner on the global front and certain areas, a country, region, continent should attempt to be self sufficient. For example, we'd be cheaper buying outlet warships from abroad but a strategic decision. Has been made to maintain a degree of shipbuilding capability for the what if scenario.
Reply 29
Original post by pane123
I am so glad there is someone else with a realistic view of the state we are in on here.

I always tend to advocate gold as a safe investment. While it may not make money, it should keep its value. A lot of people cannot grasp the idea that the £20 notes in their wallet might not be able to buy anything quite soon.

Gold didn't retain its value between 1980 and 2007...
www.news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/image_maps/08/1205000000/1205149190/img/gold_price416x310.gif

Adjusting for inflation it still hasn't recovered...

Why do you think it holds its value? Its more than 20% down on its price two years ago (again, more after inflation considered)
Reply 30
Original post by Quady
Gold didn't retain its value between 1980 and 2007...
www.news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/image_maps/08/1205000000/1205149190/img/gold_price416x310.gif

Adjusting for inflation it still hasn't recovered...

Why do you think it holds its value? Its more than 20% down on its price two years ago (again, more after inflation considered)

It should hold its value because countries like China have been buying it in abundance. The value of our currency is based on nothing but words and is a major contributing factor to our economic woes.

Other countries will learn from our mistakes and will want to back their currency with something: probably gold.
Reply 31
Original post by pane123
It should hold its value because countries like China have been buying it in abundance. The value of our currency is based on nothing but words and is a major contributing factor to our economic woes.

Other countries will learn from our mistakes and will want to back their currency with something: probably gold.

That's speculation though isn't it.

Is whisky is a safe investment because the Chinese have been buying it in abundance?

No, so whats the difference?

If gold is so great then why did we (and everyone else) come off it?

Its just shiney heavy stuff with a negative yeild.
Reply 32
Original post by Quady
That's speculation though isn't it.

Is whisky is a safe investment because the Chinese have been buying it in abundance?

No, so whats the difference?

If gold is so great then why did we (and everyone else) come off it?

Its just shiney heavy stuff with a negative yeild.

It's speculation because nobody can be sure how much gold China holds.

Whisky may well be a good investment, but I don't know. Given that whisky can spoil and bottles can smash, I don't think it's a good comparison.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by pane123
It's speculation because nobody can be sure how much gold China holds.

Whisky may well be a good investment, but I don't know. Given that whisky can spoil and bottles can smash, I don't think it's a good comparison.

Whisky can't spoil, not at 40%+ ABV
It can evaporate which I guess is the same thing, but only over a 30 year+ timeframe.

Whisky can smash and gold can get stolen, which is why security is needed and hence a negative yield.
Thanks for that. Can I just raise a few points though.( not in a confrontational manner either.)

Could it be said that Australian farms are more efficient as they're larger and benefit from economies of scales. European farms tend to be smaller and less industrial.

If you opened up imports more do you not run the risk of raising food prices in poorer parts of the world?

From a strategic point of view, should Europe not be taking the hit on slightly higher food prices to ensure that it maintains the capability to feed itself. Nobody knows what's around the corner on the global front and certain areas, a country, region, continent should attempt to be self sufficient. For example, we'd be cheaper buying outlet warships from abroad but a strategic decision. Has been made to maintain a degree of shipbuilding capability for the what if scenario.

Well the first one is likely true, but I'd say that the smaller EU farms are a bad thing (as can be demonstrated by their lower efficiency) I'd imagine that if the CAP were scrapped there would be a move towards larger, industrialised farms which would likely compensate for the decrease in total farm numbers by increasing efficiency and average size of EU farms.

As to the second part, we could potentially raise food prices at point of access in other markets (realistically, I'm mostly talking about Africa when I discuss food imports) but this assumes those farms are at maximum efficiency and couldn't expand if they had dependable income from the EU. One of the great tragedies of the CAP is that it not only cuts African farmers off from a lucrative export market, but also dumps its surpluses on the African market as well (this was the alternative found to the unpopular destruction of food surpluses. Farmers were given a minimum price by the EU and the produce was sold on the African market at a loss, undercutting local farmers and driving them out of business). This is a massive potential secondary saving, not only on aid as the farms no longer need to be replaced by aid programmes every time we pay to put them out of business, as well as increased regional stability which could allow lower long term defence budgets (though this is really long range stuff).

As to your final point, the idea of europe being able to provide food for itself in event of a war, this is sadly old fashioned thinking. If the EU were to be cut off suddenly from the rest of the world, we would struggle for most natural resources, most notably oil, without which our farms would be crippled anyway. Any sudden cut off of our food supply would be impossible for a small nation and if we get into that level of hostilities with a large nation, the war would inevitably go nuclear (which means that no large nation would ever attempt it). The advent of nuclear weapons makes this sort of war an impossibility, so preparing for it is irrelevant.
Reply 35
Original post by pane123

The value of ours and many other currencies remains stable, there is no current crisis regarding the confidence of a FIAT currency system.

As for holding its value, gold like many other commodities has a value based upon supply and demand. For the 25 years between 1981-2006 it stayed within the $200-$600 price bracket, rising afterward as people wanted to hedge (and it's not the only commodity used) against the financial crisis and then the European debt crisis. Now that both events have passed we are seeing a simple reversion back to the ordinary $200-$600 range as people now feel more confident in using cash.

Original post by pane123

Gold is just as good as words. If people mine more of it you devalue the price if gold. If demand for gold goes up so does the price.

You could say use diamonds, but diamonds only hold their value because De Beers control the flow of diamonds into the market. If they flooded the market with diamonds it would be worthless.

Other countries are taking on board our monetary system. It's been around since 1694 and has proved one of the more resilient and reliable than other monetary systems.

PEople have been predicting the end of civilisation for centuries. Hasn't happened yet and its unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Foo.mp3
There's eating, and then there's eating well. There's eating, and then there's heating. There's heating and then there's drinking/washing etc etc

This is part of the problem yes, but the squeeze is coming from both sides

It seems you do not fully comprehend how inflation is calculated, or factoring in the fact that wages aren't spent evenly in a manner reflective of a balanced CPI basket of goods at the bottom end of the earnings spectrum - necessities, subject to price rises as per the graphs, dominate their consumption patterns

And subject to massive reductions between '96 and '06 (apart from energy)
Reply 38
Original post by Foo.mp3
Problem is the SMEs are the only ones really paying any corporation tax :mmm:

I agree though, also business rates should be reduced as they're just contributing to the death/homogenisation of the high street

Unfortunately saving is needed as a pool for investment, and the long term sustainance of steady state rates of capital investment

Also, we still have excessive rates of debt e.g. 5:1 GDP in the UK (a lot higher than most other nations and both unsustainable and a source of instability)

Aye, the 'trickle down' effect from QE/nationalisation of select banks has been at best laughable, at worst, scandalous :mad:

It was a simplisation of my view but yes there are some serious underlying issues... especially large companies wriggling out of corporation tax...
Original post by pane123

You're a fool, look at a graph of the value of gold over the last few decades, and then compare this to the value of the pound or the dollar. It is pretty obvious that major currencies have much steadier values than gold. Major currencies hold their value over time very consistently, while gold does not.

And before you say, but what about inflation? Under normal circumstances keeping money in a savings account will cancel out the effect of inflation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending