The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:p: Twas alright. Better than Unit 4 anyway.
Reply 2
Very nice.
Terrible-I just hope ive done enough to get a B overall
Reply 4
Better than unit 4 thank GOD!!!
Yeah a few rong but should get a B inshallah!!
Reply 5
Nice paper - better than some of the past ones
Reply 6
Not a bad paper, better than I expected as I hadn't revised v much was v glad most could be copied almost directly out of the book. Made a few boobs- didn't learn the 'amino test'.
What did people get from the born-haber cycle? i got -3554 but could have been -3555 if I'd used the other value for atomisation of sulphur from the data book (I used the one ending in 5 not 8!).
Also- for the final vanadium question did people get 2 x 10^-3 moles of electrons, 1 x 10-3 moles of vanadium, so 2 electrons lost per vanadium, goes from V2+ to V4+? Everyone I talked to got 3+ but I don't know how!
Forgot how to describe 'permenant dipole:tongue:ermenant dipole' bonds, can't remember the rest! Optimistically reckon I got 45-50.
Reply 7
i think im about to make people feel worse about the exam when they start remembering things but...

i think i made a few mistakes:

reaction with HCL and NH2ch2ch2nh2 --> the ion with 2+ charge [As it was excess HCL and there were two amine groups]..and i said Cl2 instead of 2CL- ..wasnt sure which one

For showing Fe2+ ions in solution, i said oxidise to fe3+ using potassium manga blah blah + sodium hydroxide = brown precipitate..instead of just adding the naoh straight away

Also show that there is an amino group...i read it as amine group and talked about a blue complex formed instead of ninhydrin test

Guessed oxidation state of that one that was oxidised..as i couldnt do the last step

Diagram was crap

Reason Paracetamol only partially dissolved in water, mine was a bit weak

i thought shape was octahedral, but saw 3 molecules and 2 bonds each..figured the 4 in the book were only examples and called it hexahedral :smile:

i messed up the 43 fragment as well

just those iffy ones wasnt 100% about..probbly wrong

any comments or ideas what is wrong and right...the rest of the test was pretty bog standard

i think i got between 45-50 (also optimistically) :smile: ~God willing

---think ive killed the thread and ruined a few peoples days...sorry guys, tbh i think the most common mistakes were those above (if they are mistakes)
Reply 8
do you not think its a little unfair how edexcel normal is apparently piss but nuffield is comparatively harder...yet all the schools taking nuffield...are...you know, so it doesnt help us anyway!..dont you just hate your school for picking nuffield :smile:

..although i heard AQA was very hard...maybe we were lucky :P
Reply 9
Lucyvet2006
Not a bad paper, better than I expected as I hadn't revised v much was v glad most could be copied almost directly out of the book. Made a few boobs- didn't learn the 'amino test'.
What did people get from the born-haber cycle? i got -3554 but could have been -3555 if I'd used the other value for atomisation of sulphur from the data book (I used the one ending in 5 not 8!).
Also- for the final vanadium question did people get 2 x 10^-3 moles of electrons, 1 x 10-3 moles of vanadium, so 2 electrons lost per vanadium, goes from V2+ to V4+? Everyone I talked to got 3+ but I don't know how!
Forgot how to describe 'permenant dipole:tongue:ermenant dipole' bonds, can't remember the rest! Optimistically reckon I got 45-50.

For the amino acid bit, flicked through the book and it said as a ligand it turns dark blue so i think so basically said if it gets used as a ligand it turns dark blue but not sure on that one??
got -3555 for the born-haber cycle - just used teh top value in BOD, Vanadium lost 2 electrons, ended up as 5+, so 5-2 = 3, V was oxidised to V3+ in the air i think, Reckon 45-50, was better than i expected
Reply 10
i said the same about the amino part
Reply 11
Amino acid test was by spraying it with ninhydrin

Any ideas wot the grade boundaries will be
Reply 12
thought it was ok ! thank god for the book though...literally had most of the answers in it!!! and plenty of time!
all over!!! no more exams!!! yessss!!
well done everyone
Reply 13
Any ideas about wot an A will be
Reply 14
There was nothing about amino acids. It was an amine group. Test for by adding to CuSO4 and a "deep blue" complex forms.

For the born haber cycle I randomly chose a value from the data book. I assume that they will be accepting both of them. Or if one of them is "more correct" then it will be a one mark deduction.

The advantage of Paracetamol is in the textbook -- Aspirin can cause internal bleeding. That is what I put anyway.

I had no idea about the diagram. I drew a load of rubbish in the end. It was a single mark.

Last question was funny. They asked about rate as well as extent, I guess they were trying to trick people into saying it would be fast. When it states all over the textbook that you have no idea about the rate of reaction.

I thought the shape was trigonal planar, but that is wrong. Bond angles: 109.5 and 107 in Q2.
Reply 15
Im pretty sure there was a question asking to test for amino acids. Can anyone confirm this
Reply 16
samd
There was nothing about amino acids. It was an amine group. Test for by adding to CuSO4 and a "deep blue" complex forms.

For the born haber cycle I randomly chose a value from the data book. I assume that they will be accepting both of them. Or if one of them is "more correct" then it will be a one mark deduction.

The advantage of Paracetamol is in the textbook -- Aspirin can cause internal bleeding. That is what I put anyway.

I had no idea about the diagram. I drew a load of rubbish in the end. It was a single mark.

Last question was funny. They asked about rate as well as extent, I guess they were trying to trick people into saying it would be fast. When it states all over the textbook that you have no idea about the rate of reaction.

I thought the shape was trigonal planar, but that is wrong. Bond angles: 109.5 and 107 in Q2.

ahh excellant thats what i thought, people were going on about amino acids
Reply 17
No. It was in the paracetamol question. And it was about the amine group at the bottom.

OH
l
/ \
l l
\ /
l
NHCOCH3

{from memory may be a bit wrong}
In fact i *think* you're both right (or wrong).

They asked for an 'amino group'. :rolleyes:

(i put down ninhydrin but am doubtful as to whether that's correct)
Reply 19
yeh it definitely was the amino group, I said that pH would drop with the addition of ethanoyl chloride.
I had no idea what they wanted from my life with the oxidation diagram. I also said trigonal planar. oops.
Besides that it was Okish

Latest