The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Phew I was right then. BTW natsy I put down ninhydrin test as well and im pretty sure its the right answer
Reply 21
im not sure on this but i wrote that add ethanoyl chloride which forms Cl- ions giving a white precipitate with AgNO3.
isnt ninhydrin test for amino acids?
Reply 22
The question was about amino acids
Reply 23
LuckyMan
The question was about amino acids

im not sure that it was tbh.
everyone iv spoken to said it was amine
anyone else like to clarify??
which atomisation value was the correct 1 to use in the 1st question for Q1?
Reply 25
w00tt

Hmm. Maybe it was about amino acids then. 2 more marks lost.
Reply 26
mmm, I just put down do a chromatography test and it will havr rf=x but thats a load of crap.

For the bond angles I got 107 and 104.5
Reply 27
Yeaaa it was amine group!!!
It really was 'amino group' definately. My friend + I asked our chemistry teacher afterwards, he said he'd talked to the other teachers + reckoned they'd accept test to see if it forms a blue complex-ion with copper or test pH.
For advantage of paracetamol over aspirin I just put that paracetamol doesn't reduce blood clotting like aspirin does- not sure if I'll get that mark. Did NOT bother trying to draw a diagram for one mark! Had no idea what to draw anyway- my friend thought of drawing a bong- would work as your forcing air through the liquid!
As for saying Nuffield is harder than Edexcel- I've quite liked Nuffield over the 2 years but I know I've had pretty good teachers (except for the last module where we didn't seem to learn anything, luckily it was all in the book!). Glad I didn't have to do AQA, they have to write an essay for every exam! Doing AQA Advanced Extension though, I know I won't pass it- optimistically offered to take it a while ago until I realised how rock solid its going to be!

I think synoptic grade boundaries are usually pretty low- one year it was 40 for an A! Think it was 2003, I did that paper and it was really hard. Think it will be about 45 maybe (75%)- hopefully I'll get an A but as long as I get above 30% think I'm good to go for an A overall.
Reply 29
yeah i thought that it was an amine too! im sure it was a -NH2 at the bottom of the thing...
Reply 30
I thought it was better than expected, but at the same time i have made loads of silly errors, hope the gade boundaries are low, but i doubt it!!!!!!!!1
w00tt

I agree with you, and the hydrated Copper -> Deep Blue Complex test. When the paracetamol was reacted with NaOH, it would dissolve as the phenol group reacts and ionises.
All-in-all, it was a fine paper - let's just hope that the mark scheme is not really, really specific. And will give you a mark if you are right, even if you did not give the answer in the exact sequence of words on their mark-schemes.
Reply 32
It was definitely amino acid.

Strange, you think there are two different copies or sumthing?
Any chance of getting a paper scanned in and then we can maybe decide on some answers?

I agree with the lattice energy, I used copper as the test for amino acids but said it could go blue/green :s-smilie:.
Ecell i got +0.81V, goes to completion but tells you nothing about rate.
Polymer question i didn't have a clue on.
Reply 34
I didnt really know what happens to paracetamol when it reacts with NaOH, what effect does it have on the functional groups? do you get a o-na+?
Reply 35
For the diagram, i drew the solution in a conical flask with glass tubing going down into the solution but not filling the hole in the top of the conical flask (if ya see what i mean) and at the other end of tubing wrote air pumped in with an arrow, and then drew it bubbling out the other end, dunno if thats rite or not??
Reply 36
I got +0.01 for the Ecell question.

Oh bugger I got it wrong didn't I? and I was so determined to get it right as well...

Do u think they'd accept transferred error cos I put that the reaction would not go to completion...which it wouldn't if Ecell was +0.01....
I got that the OH reacted to form O-Na+ for the reaction with NaOH, wasn't sure if any of the other functional group at the bottome was supposed to react?!
The Ecell was +0.81V, they'd probably accept the transferred error if you'd put +0.01 for the 1st bit.
For the polymer question there was an almost identical one in the book (e.g. of addition polymerisation) so I just copied that, adjusting the number of CH2 groups.
Reply 38
I thort it was condensation polymerisation cz ther was 2 functional groups and HCl came out?!
Reply 39
Spoon you got it wrong, wasnt I a very good teacher??

You would have got error carried forward marks anyway so no big deal

BTW remember that rep you owe me, aSian_cUtY can I have a bit of rep as well pretty please, Im so close to my second gem

Dan

Latest