The Student Room Group

Don't exercise

......If you don't like exercising. More specifically, don't force yourself to do an exercise that you don't enjoy. What's the point? You will just give up after a short while, get de-motivated and stay fat. Even if you do successfully lose weight you will stop and put the weight back on.

I see many fatties sign up to the gym, slave on the treadmill, they hate it, they keep going because someone is pressuring them, they eventually break, quit the gym, think they blew everything, go back to eating crap and sitting on the sofa and stay fat.

The fact is that they didn't need to exercise at all because all exercise does is raise your metabolism. Burning raw calories on the treadmill is a myth, well it's not a myth because you will burn everything you eat if you spend hours on the treadmill but spending hours on the treadmill is overkill.

By all means if you don't like it do keep trying but only up to a point where you should be certain if it's not for you. Do aim to try another activity because exercise is important to general health but if you can't be asked and you just want to lose weight not be healthy in general then don't bother with exercise and don't feel bad about it. It's 70% about your diet at the end of the day.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I love going to the gym and lifting heavy.
Reply 2
Don't put limitations on my future, only I can do that.

I absolutely despise running more than 3 miles but it is done to accomplish my goals.
Reply 3
Although exercise isn't the be all and end of all when it comes to losing and maintaining a healthy weight I still think it is important. The benefits are great including improving cardiovascular health, lowering risk of certain cancers, helping to prevent type II diabetes and it can even help battle depression. If one is serious about improving their health then exercising is pretty important. If you don't like jogging try swimming or cycling, even walking is good for you.
Reply 4
Nobody said that it's supposed to be fun (unless someone is trying to sell you something), it's tough, hard work and takes dedication.. if you don't like to work hard then forget it.. Daviant is giving great advice, initially it's hard as hell, that's the stage where most give up.. if you can't handle step 1 then you won't be able to handle step 2.
Reply 5
Original post by Swanbow
Although exercise isn't the be all and end of all when it comes to losing and maintaining a healthy weight I still think it is important. The benefits are great including improving cardiovascular health, lowering risk of certain cancers, helping to prevent type II diabetes and it can even help battle depression. If one is serious about improving their health then exercising is pretty important. If you don't like jogging try swimming or cycling, even walking is good for you.

Some people (not me) just want to lose weight and don't really care about health. I am appealing to them. I'm spreading the message that even if you can't bring yourself to exercise you can still lose weight.
Reply 6
Original post by WGR
Some people (not me) just want to lose weight and don't really care about health. I am appealing to them. I'm spreading the message that even if you can't bring yourself to exercise you can still lose weight.

And I'm trying to appeal to the people who only want to lose weight to think more about their overall health rather than being entirely concerned about their weight and body image. I get your message, and don't refute it, just trying to put out an alternative.
There are so many exercises out there, there MUST be something that everyone will enjoy as part of a healthy routine. Don't assume that the gym is the be all and end all.. there are literally hundreds of different exercises/sports/activities that you could do.

Most people will find that making small changes (ie walking short journeys instead of driving, getting off the bus a stop or two early, stairs instead of lift) will improve their lifestyle enough.. and in many cases there is no need to do regular, specifically structured exercise sessions.

For example when I was at uni I walked for 2 hours a day, plus walked up 3 flights of stairs 6 times on an average day. That is active enough, plus any other activity I choose to do, for example shopping on the way home, walking round to a friend's house, etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Swanbow
And I'm trying to appeal to the people who only want to lose weight to think more about their overall health rather than being entirely concerned about their weight and body image. I get your message, and don't refute it, just trying to put out an alternative.

That's fine but I'm a pragmatic person; Better to encourage people to lose weight even only for cosmetic reasons than to tell them to do it the healthy way because at the end of the day you will get more people losing weight with the former message.
You are plain wrong on so many points..
Original post by Daviant
Exercising regularly isn't fun at all, it takes time to get going.
Nobody has fun at the gym benching 20kg and feeling sore as ****, it get's fun once you're pushing big weights and have gotten into the habit of it.
This is pretty much true of everything, the first few months you hate it because you suck at it, and then it gets fun later.

Disagree mate, the early days were the best - I would give ANYTHING to have DOMS like that again...
Reply 11
I hate hate hate hate how people look for alternatives to exercise as a way of losing weight. If you want to be thinner then eat less, move more and keep doing that forever. It's the simplest equation, but lazy people over complicate it. I run over 40 miles a week, and even though I'm 6ft and reasonably strong I weigh 60kg. This is not a coincidence.
Original post by HFerguson
Disagree mate, the early days were the best - I would give ANYTHING to have DOMS like that again...

Stick a needle in your quad and relive the leg DOMS of yesteryear.
Original post by WGR
Some people (not me) just want to lose weight and don't really care about health. I am appealing to them.

a) If you don't care about your health, why want to lose weight?

b) Why are you appealing to these people - if they exist? Much less with poor advice.
Reply 14
I would give anything to have those noob gains and huge sex drive when I first started lifting.
Reply 15
Love lifting, when I first started, I loved it, still do, but have never liked cardio at all
This is stupid. There are ways to make it fun. I hate cardio on it's own, but with this awesome app on iphone it's really fun. Everyone should have Zombies, Run
Original post by F.R.A.W.A
I hate hate hate hate how people look for alternatives to exercise as a way of losing weight. If you want to be thinner then eat less, move more and keep doing that forever. It's the simplest equation, but lazy people over complicate it. I run over 40 miles a week, and even though I'm 6ft and reasonably strong I weigh 60kg. This is not a coincidence.

I don't think most people would want to weight 60kg at 6ft though- that is a very scrawny build.

I would say a lean 80kg at 6ft is a universally attractive build on guys (reasonably built and good muscle tone without being overly muscular). Adjust upwards or downwards based on preferance but 60kg is ridiculously light for 6ft...70kg looks much more "normal".

I agree with you. I've only been lifting about 4 months but I do miss the feeling of barely being able to lift my arms above my head in the shower post workout. It made you feel like you'd really been working hard. I still push myself as much as is possible, but never get the same feeling.

It's also why I like leg day so much, I love the feeling after the workout that you're completely shagged and can barely walk down the stairs out the gym.

Original post by In One Ear
I don't think most people would want to weight 60kg at 6ft though- that is a very scrawny build.

I would say a lean 80kg at 6ft is a universally attractive build on guys (reasonably built and good muscle tone without being overly muscular). Adjust upwards or downwards based on preferance but 60kg is ridiculously light for 6ft...70kg looks much more "normal".

Roughly true I think, though depends on body composition. I'm a fairly lean 85kg, 5'11" and my arms are still tiny. It's all in my legs :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by illusionz

Roughly true I think, though depends on body composition. I'm a fairly lean 85kg, 5'11" and my arms are still tiny. It's all in my legs :frown:

"Fairly lean"? If you are truly fairly lean then I doubt your arms are "tiny" you probably have a degree of body dysmorphia. Thats a very solid properly lean weight at 5'11 and you will definitely look muscular and fit.

Quick Reply

Latest