The Student Room Group

Gcse english, creative writing; help!!

This is my first post so forgive me if I do something which isn't the norm hahaha. Anyways,
Well. :mad:
I'm kind of good at English like on my Of Mice and Men controlled assessment I got an A*!!!! Wow, it was something like "How is the character of Crooks present throughout the novella?" Anyways, that went pretty good. Better than I expected, but I don't want my grades to slip.
I have speaking and listening coming up...
My speech in front of my whole class has to be 3 minutes of me talking about "If I ruled the world." Now, I don't want to do something stereotypical like idk racism or whatever, or world peace. But I don't know what to talk about ugh.
Like idk :frown: has anybody got any tips?? I have 2 days to plan my speech and my teacher is not going to be there to help, she's gunna be there on the day when I am going to be assessed.
Like I have so much pressure on me, gah.
Can anybody give me any tips or something I need help and need to do good. I'd like to focus on racism but I don't know what to say.
I'd like to say something like "It was wrong for Hitler to lock jews in a room yet Israeli's are holding Syrians, Palestinians in hostage with aid of the U.S government"
But, I need to make it sound better hm
Well, I'm just babbling on now, doubt anybody is going to read..
Thanks if you have though.. :smile:)
Reply 1
Don't take the topic so seriously. For mine, I had to talk about a time when I had to show resilience. In my class we had things ranging from exams and sports days to being at funerals. Don't force yourself into something you find hard to talk about, and even if you find it interesting, don't talk about something that you'll find difficult to make cohesive.
If you are determined about talking about racism and world peace, then talk about how racism is opposing world peace and how removing racism from society would better the world. Or, you could talk about how if you ruled the world there would be peace because you think that disunity is the cause of all current and past wars, so you'd unite the world under one flag, with one currency etc..
As for general tips, speak loud and clear, try not to depend on notes (I personally forgot mine on the day, so I improvised and got 14/15) although if you need to look at them, do so.
Reply 2
I thought speaking and listening don't count now? my school have scrapped ours and I got all 15/15's. :frown:
My advice is, write short notes to brief yourself like H0PEL3SS said, don't depend on them! Make sure you sound confident, if you aren't confident then try and act it. voice yourself clearly, I like to think that no one else is in the room and I'm talking to myself. Practice beforehand, whether it be to a friend or the mirror.
Pick something you know some solid information about, if you want to be adventurous throw in a couple of 'big' words but make sure you know what they mean! and use them in the right context, your teacher will know if you don't understand.

Don't fret over it though, you basically get marks thrown at you in those exams- hence why my school scrapped them.
Reply 3
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Don't take the topic so seriously. For mine, I had to talk about a time when I had to show resilience. In my class we had things ranging from exams and sports days to being at funerals. Don't force yourself into something you find hard to talk about, and even if you find it interesting, don't talk about something that you'll find difficult to make cohesive.
If you are determined about talking about racism and world peace, then talk about how racism is opposing world peace and how removing racism from society would better the world. Or, you could talk about how if you ruled the world there would be peace because you think that disunity is the cause of all current and past wars, so you'd unite the world under one flag, with one currency etc..
As for general tips, speak loud and clear, try not to depend on notes (I personally forgot mine on the day, so I improvised and got 14/15) although if you need to look at them, do so.

Aw thankyou this has helped a lot! Yeah I just don't really know what to say and how to structure it😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Levingne
I thought speaking and listening don't count now? my school have scrapped ours and I got all 15/15's. :frown:
My advice is, write short notes to brief yourself like H0PEL3SS said, don't depend on them! Make sure you sound confident, if you aren't confident then try and act it. voice yourself clearly, I like to think that no one else is in the room and I'm talking to myself. Practice beforehand, whether it be to a friend or the mirror.
Pick something you know some solid information about, if you want to be adventurous throw in a couple of 'big' words but make sure you know what they mean! and use them in the right context, your teacher will know if you don't understand.

Don't fret over it though, you basically get marks thrown at you in those exams- hence why my school scrapped them.

Ah lucky you!!!
But aw thank you for the advice, it's really useful! And aw yeah I know what you mean.. Do you have any tips on like how you got such good marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by salmagaf
Ah lucky you!!!
But aw thank you for the advice, it's really useful! And aw yeah I know what you mean.. Do you have any tips on like how you got such good marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine :smile: If you feel like you might really struggle (I doubt you will) it might be a good idea to write out what you're going to say and try to remember it- however if you do this, make sure it doesn't sound too planned out and not natural. It's best to go with writing points out and saying something from each point! Keep eye contact with the audience, especially your teacher so they know you're acknowledging them, just general things like posture etc. My teacher told me students lose marks for body language as many look like they aren't bothered, deliver the presentation like you're talking to business associates basically!
Reply 6
Original post by Levingne
It's fine :smile: If you feel like you might really struggle (I doubt you will) it might be a good idea to write out what you're going to say and try to remember it- however if you do this, make sure it doesn't sound too planned out and not natural. It's best to go with writing points out and saying something from each point! Keep eye contact with the audience, especially your teacher so they know you're acknowledging them, just general things like posture etc. My teacher told me students lose marks for body language as many look like they aren't bothered, deliver the presentation like you're talking to business associates basically!

Ohh right yeah! Idk I'm good at talking on the spot like i don't really have problems with confidence but it's just what to say really. What about like how to structure? I apologize for all the questions but thank you so so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ohh right yeah! Idk I'm good at talking on the spot like i don't really have problems with confidence but it's just what to say really. What about like how to structure? I apologize for all the questions but thank you so so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Structure didn't really matter when I did mine in Year 10, just go with the flow- If it makes sense in your mind and links with the other points then say it. It's cool. :tongue:
Reply 8
Dw! Eng C.A's are a breeze! And this is coming from someone who was terrible at English! I've only one c.a left and up to now got full marks in every single one.
I advise you to do something simple, but try and incorporate all the techniques like rhetorical questions, anecdotes, alliteration, repetition, hyperbole etc the list goes on..
I had to do a room 101 and it was 6 mins all together, just make sure you memorise it so so well, that it easily roles of your tongue because then you can focus on how you actually say it (pauses etc)
Also many people in my class got marked down a mark or so for even holding notes which was quite unfair , hopefully it won't be the same for you
Also if you do screw up I'm pretty sure you are allowed to re-do it - normally after school
In regards to an actual topic, you could either be serious and go down the Syria route or you could just come up with a 3 points and speak for a minute on each. For example 1) if I ruled the world I would try and help to feed the hungry ... Then ramble on about how it's unfair for them a few stats, play the sympathy card and then say again 2) if I ruled the world ... And so on and so forth, of you have any questions/ need any more suggestions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 9
LOL I'm telling you don't be worried, some of my mates done topics like this but done what happened if marshmallows took over the world, unicorns fact or fake - and they got A*'s to be honest don't make the topic serious unless you want to, just talk about something close to your heart or hip hop music (yay :wink: LOOL ) and remember this is speaking and listening so stay focused on use of language (complex words), clear voice, show calmness and confidence and above all don't make it feel like an exam, take it in your stride, but don't leave it to the last minute like me (despite the fact I got an A) LOL dw its easy tbh
Reply 10
Original post by Randomer98
Dw! Eng C.A's are a breeze! And this is coming from someone who was terrible at English! I've only one c.a left and up to now got full marks in every single one.
I advise you to do something simple, but try and incorporate all the techniques like rhetorical questions, anecdotes, alliteration, repetition, hyperbole etc the list goes on..
I had to do a room 101 and it was 6 mins all together, just make sure you memorise it so so well, that it easily roles of your tongue because then you can focus on how you actually say it (pauses etc)
Also many people in my class got marked down a mark or so for even holding notes which was quite unfair , hopefully it won't be the same for you
Also if you do screw up I'm pretty sure you are allowed to re-do it - normally after school
In regards to an actual topic, you could either be serious and go down the Syria route or you could just come up with a 3 points and speak for a minute on each. For example 1) if I ruled the world I would try and help to feed the hungry ... Then ramble on about how it's unfair for them a few stats, play the sympathy card and then say again 2) if I ruled the world ... And so on and so forth, of you have any questions/ need any more suggestions feel free to ask :smile:

Awwww thanks for the advice haha!
Yeah i totally get you got A* so far, so u don't really want my grades to slip and awww!! Thank you so so much, yeah I've planned my speech now and it lat perfect, have a lesson tomorrow to practice! Practice makes perfect hahaha x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Akh_Moh
LOL I'm telling you don't be worried, some of my mates done topics like this but done what happened if marshmallows took over the world, unicorns fact or fake - and they got A*'s to be honest don't make the topic serious unless you want to, just talk about something close to your heart or hip hop music (yay :wink: LOOL ) and remember this is speaking and listening so stay focused on use of language (complex words), clear voice, show calmness and confidence and above all don't make it feel like an exam, take it in your stride, but don't leave it to the last minute like me (despite the fact I got an A) LOL dw its easy tbh

Hahahah! I know my mate is doing about how we live in a parallel univerae and cats are going to take over the world one day! Idk i have to use real facts and talk about realistic stuff; not really that imaginative which is a worry because i have a creative writing assessment coming up hahahha! And ahh yeah thankyouu!!! I've been prctocing in front of my mirror, i'm not that shy but i just don't wanna mess up D: and hahah, i'm always last minute, i have tomorrow to complete it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awwww thanks for the advice haha!
Yeah i totally get you got A* so far, so u don't really want my grades to slip and awww!! Thank you so so much, yeah I've planned my speech now and it lat perfect, have a lesson tomorrow to practice! Practice makes perfect hahaha x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha welcome, glad it's worked out for you! Do tell what you get in the end! X
Reply 13
Aw I'd just like to say thank you to everyone, I got "no lower than an A" yaaaay!!!! Thanks to everyone for their tips and stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw I'd just like to say thank you to everyone, I got "no lower than an A" yaaaay!!!! Thanks to everyone for their tips and stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!
Reply 15
hi i am doing fast track english gcse an i am polish. I have to get grade c or i cant go to university in september. i am having a bit of trouble with creative righting task we must do preperation before the 24th of the month now. I am wrighting about short fiction if anyone had any advise for me on this? i would like ideas of what can improve my level to grade c so if there is anyone who has done this recently i would be so grateful :smile:
hahaha don't worry your doing fine and don't overthink it I'm sure you'll do fine I mean take it from someone who is so shy that doesn't even want to get up in front of the class and end up getting a b at the end of it. just don't babble on about one thing or repeat yourself the teacher and the class will pick up on that. I think that you will be able to take in a few cue cards as long as you don't keep relying on them to get you the grade use direct address at the beginning of your speech and you will engage your class into wanting to hear more. I talked about how I would change the world through technology world peace and racism I know this isn't what you wanted but as long as you have the facts and make it interesting it won't be the usual just be yourself talk about things that matter to you and add a few statistics in and you will ace it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps :-)D
Reply 17
Original post by Holllythisgirl
hahaha don't worry your doing fine and don't overthink it I'm sure you'll do fine I mean take it from someone who is so shy that doesn't even want to get up in front of the class and end up getting a b at the end of it. just don't babble on about one thing or repeat yourself the teacher and the class will pick up on that. I think that you will be able to take in a few cue cards as long as you don't keep relying on them to get you the grade use direct address at the beginning of your speech and you will engage your class into wanting to hear more. I talked about how I would change the world through technology world peace and racism I know this isn't what you wanted but as long as you have the facts and make it interesting it won't be the usual just be yourself talk about things that matter to you and add a few statistics in and you will ace it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps :-)D

awww thank you so much for this advice! I really appreciate it haha, I did this ages ago though and this has just reminded me :') Thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest