The Student Room Group

Driving Test Panic!

Okay, so my driving test is this week and I'm already getting butterflies about it :redface:

I've been told by my instructor countless times (I think he's sick of me...) to just relax, never panic and show the examiner I'm a confident driver.

But knowing me, I will cock something up out of nerves. :colonhash:
I'll end up rolling down a hill or try to set off in 3rd gear or something.

If anybody has any pre-driving test tips/experiences they'd like to share then please go ahead. I think my mind needs putting at ease :unsure:
Reply 1
Before you take the test meditate for a few minutes and while you're driving and doing the test constantly take deep breaths and just focus on doing your best no matter what.
--
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Play some GTA, that will get you some early morning practice. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Acceptable
Okay, so my driving test is this week and I'm already getting butterflies about it :redface:

I've been told by my instructor countless times (I think he's sick of me...) to just relax, never panic and show the examiner I'm a confident driver.

If anybody has any pre-driving test tips/experiences they'd like to share then please go ahead. I think my mind needs putting at ease :unsure:

Treat it like a normal lesson and relax all will be fine.
Reply 5
haha i had my test on thursday was really nervous, it was torrential rain throughout, i missed a turning on the independent drive, thought it had gone so so badly but it was fine and i passed!! jif you make a mistake just move on because it's not the end!!!! :-)
Reply 6
Original post by Toxicated
-

Thanks for this! I'm not too prone to stalling so I'm praying it doesn't happen on the day :tongue:

Original post by Ben_K
Treat it like a normal lesson and relax all will be fine.

That's what I'm aiming for. If anything, the unfamiliarity of the examiner will make me nervous.

Original post by sarjan100
Play some GTA, that will get you some early morning practice. :smile:

Haha not quite a GTA person. The only game I do play is zombies on Black Ops...

Original post by Rheannan
haha i had my test on thursday was really nervous, it was torrential rain throughout, i missed a turning on the independent drive, thought it had gone so so badly but it was fine and i passed!! jif you make a mistake just move on because it's not the end!!!! :-)

Congrats!
Reply 7
Haha I've failed all my mock tests so far yet my instructor seems so sure that I'm going to pass. If I'd at least passed one, it would have partially helped boost my confidence! Now I'm just not so sure. :tongue:
Lol don't play GTA before your test :tongue:

As the car comes to a halt, get into the habit of slipping it into 1st gear straight away so you won't forget.
Reply 9
Original post by This Honest
Lol don't play GTA before your test :tongue:

As the car comes to a halt, get into the habit of slipping it into 1st gear straight away so you won't forget.

Not too sure it's the greatest of ideas. I think I'll have a driving lesson instead :tongue:

Yeah today's mock test was going well, the one thing that cocked it up was me trying to do a right turn but having to stop, and then trying to set off in second gear... :redface:

But thanks :biggrin:

Yeah today's mock test was going well, the one thing that cocked it up was me trying to do a right turn but having to stop, and then trying to set off in second gear... :redface:

I did that on my test and only got a minor for it. When it happens, just calmly fix it and move on. They're not expecting you to be perfect, they only expect you to be safe.

Don't panic, and best of luck!
Reply 11
be confident, don't show your nervous be calm and good luck! :smile:
I had a test where I thought I had passed and I failed and I thought I failed on the test I passed. You can never tell! lol
I took my test today and failed. I got 10 minors which I was not happy with, but I would've passed all the same.

However, upon entering a large roundabout in the left lane, a car on the right changed into the lane and I would've collided with him had the examiner not intervened. At that point I knew I failed, despite the rest of the lesson running smoothly and the examiner being very nice. It all happened so quick - I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Both bad luck and bad observations.

The driving test really isn't that hard - failures come from bad luck and mistakes that should not be made. It's not down to the test being harsh or difficult. You'll do fine if you stay focused and drive safely, understanding the Highway Code and applying common sense. And if you do fail, don't worry too much, you can have another shot and eventually you will pass.
While being overly nervous can obviously adversely affect your driving, being a little bit nervous is good for staying alert and reacting quickly :wink:
Reply 15

I did mine today.

One of the questions was to lift up the bonnet, and I forgot I had to use a latch to release it until he said.
I just thought that when I was in the car it was my driving teacher, and when they were writing down the minors to think they are writing down details.
I had music on in the background in the car.

Just try and keep calm. good luck!

oh I got 2 minors.
Reply 16
I passed guys! :smile:
I passed guys! :smile:

Congratulations :smile: what was it like? Did you get any minors?
Reply 18
Original post by naijagirl92
Congratulations :smile: what was it like? Did you get any minors?

I was surprisingly a lot calmer than I was in the driving lessons in the run-up to the test and the whole experience was fine. My examiner even talked to me a little, about my school and university and stuff!
I did get a minor, for hesitation.
Sounds like you had a nice friendly examiner, I hope I get one like that for my test :smile: So have you thought about what car you're going to get?

Quick Reply

Latest