The Student Room Group

Was accidentally torrenting through universities network.

(edited 9 years ago)
Were you logged on with a personal id?
Universities aren't in the habit of kicking people out for that. You will get a warning, at most, I imagine, but probably nothing.

If they really care about torrenting, they can block it, like my uni do.
Reply 3
downloaded a bunch of **** without anyone batting an eyelid. even installed google chrome on a bunch of computers because internet explorer p*ssed me off so much and no one minded that either
Oh broski, your number is up.
Reply 5
Well firstly kicking someone out of University costs A LOT of money plus they'll lose your patronage next year too, so they conclusively will not kick you out.

Secondly file sharing isn't intrinsically illegal.
Reply 6
Original post by keromedic
Were you logged on with a personal id?

I was using 'eduroam'

Original post by alexmagpie
Universities aren't in the habit of kicking people out for that. You will get a warning, at most, I imagine, but probably nothing.

If they really care about torrenting, they can block it, like my uni do.

Yeh, I hope and think that nothing will come of it... there is just a small amount of doubt in my mind that is annoying me, i want to just ask them, but obviously I can't.
Original post by cl1.
I was using 'eduroam'

Yeh, I hope and think that nothing will come of it... there is just a small amount of doubt in my mind that is annoying me, i want to just ask them, but obviously I can't.

It is unlikely you will get kicked out, although you may have your internet access suspended for a while. I know that some unis take a harder line than others - all you can do is wait and see.
Reply 8
Torrenting isn't illegal. Torrenting illegal files such as copy righted movies is illegal.

However even if the material you downloaded was illegal I doubt your University will do anything. I've never heard of anyone having an complications because of torrenting and even if you did I would imagine it would be a warning or at the very worst some form of internet ban or internet limit.

Don't sweat it. You I doubt you'll be punished at all. If you're that worried, perhaps you should save the stress in the future and just stop torrenting.
Reply 9
Oops. In fairness, at most, you'll get a warning letter, but be more diligent in future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending