The Student Room Group

Design Technology Research

As part of my research for my GCSE project would any one just comment about what sort of Multi-functional features you would like to have in a coffee table. As creative as you like :biggrin:
Thanks in Advance :smile:
Here are some ideas

A built in clock
A place to hold your TV remote or other commonly used items
A shelf underneath to hold more things
A built in AC adapter port and USB port for charging things
Maybe you can take bits off and use it for other things, such as a TV dinner tray
(edited 10 years ago)
A robot :biggrin:
Reply 3
The whole top surface needs to be on rails so I can slide it forward/back, when I use my laptop on the sofa I have to move the entire coffee table :/

USB slots, cable -less phone connection to laptop (view/transfer files without cable)
storage underneath main unit
draws without front face
extendable sides for more surface space
Reply 4
Original post by My_Name_Is_Tom
Here are some ideas

A built in clock
A place to hold your TV remote or other commonly used items
A shelf underneath to hold more things
A built in AC adapter port and USB port for charging things
Maybe you can take bits off and use it for other things, such as a TV dinner tray

Good ideas. Definitely something to consider. Thanks a lot. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Glitch96
The whole top surface needs to be on rails so I can slide it forward/back, when I use my laptop on the sofa I have to move the entire coffee table :/

USB slots, cable -less phone connection to laptop (view/transfer files without cable)
storage underneath main unit
draws without front face
extendable sides for more surface space

Thank you also. Ill be considering those suggestions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CreatorGal14
A robot :biggrin:

Ayeeees!
I personally think my suggestion was the most helpful :P
Reply 8
I personally think my suggestion was the most helpful :P

I dissagree
Original post by Bobthehero48
I dissagree

You would :tongue:
Reply 10
You would :tongue:

Exactly
Reply 11
As someone who got a high A* in the same spec, (we had the choice between a storage unit and a coffee table)
I would advise you to make an overall design that is as creative looking as possible. I used a curved back for which I bent some 3mm ply to shape, which apparantely would have been enough for an A* even if I didn't attempt curved doors and a 26 slotted DVD rack :smile:
So yeah, just focus on folder work and that overall design. What'll also get you marks, is if you make a public poll on TSR which you can screenshot into your market research pages. I bet the examiners will love that - you'll probably get a couple of marks just for that variety of opinions. Obv. Make sure your target market is similar to that on a TSRian, which it probably will be if you're not making this for toddlers. G'luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Tuya
As someone who got a high A* in the same spec, (we had the choice between a storage unit and a coffee table)
I would advise you to make an overall design that is as creative looking as possible. I used a curved back for which I bent some 3mm ply to shape, which apparantely would have been enough for an A* even if I didn't attempt curved doors and a 26 slotted DVD rack :smile:
So yeah, just focus on folder work and that overall design. What'll also get you marks, is if you make a public poll on TSR which you can screenshot into your market research pages. I bet the examiners will love that - you'll probably get a couple of marks just for that variety of opinions. Obv. Make sure your target market is similar to that on a TSRian, which it probably will be if you're not making this for toddlers. G'luck :smile:

Awesome. Thank you very much. Thats one of the reasons i put up a thread so i could gather opinions act and put it into research. Have you got any pictures of your product? sounds really good How did you manage to bend the play to shape and keep it there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending