The Student Room Group

Any snooker players out there?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james1211
I'll be honest i've never got that far into a break but usually they would aim to pot the black then plant the cue ball in the pyramid off the black, opening them up and hopefully lining something up. (...)

As you was not able so far to open the spot to get a continuation, I suppose that it is very difficult for amateurs at least.
Reply 41
Original post by Kallisto
As you was not able so far to open the spot to get a continuation, I suppose that it is very difficult for amateurs at least.

See 3:26 of this video. He opens the remaining red balls up by spinning off the black into the rest of them which pushes them open enough to continue off them. It's very difficult (to say the least!).

[video="youtube;V1s9oC5ebFs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage& v=V1s9oC5ebFs#t=206[/video]
See 3:26 of this video. He opens the remaining red balls up by spinning off the black into the rest of them which pushes them open enough to continue off them. It's very difficult (to say the least!).

Yeah, that is one of the solution to manage the problem.

By the way it was a pure enjoyment to watch this maximum break. Do I have mentioned that Ronnie O'Sullivan is my favorite player?
Reply 43
Original post by Kallisto
Yeah, that is one of the solution to manage the problem.

By the way it was a pure enjoyment to watch this maximum break. Do I have mentioned that Ronnie O'Sullivan is my favorite player?

I don't think you did mention. He is nothing but exciting to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to be well into it. Made 6 centuries between the ages of 18-20 (highest break 132) and was on the B team for pool for Rileys for a bit. Those centuries were all made in solo practice on the line-up routine.
Don't play much anymore as I don't have as much disposable income now that I'm running a car, not nearly as talented as I was a few years ago! Still enjoy the game now when I do play, in fact maybe more so now since I don't get pissed off when I'm playing badly.
Reply 45
Original post by WoodyMKC
Still enjoy the game now when I do play, in fact maybe more so now since I don't get pissed off when I'm playing badly.

I know that feeling, some days it can feel like it's just not going your way. I think i need to chill out sometimes. It's when you feel like a ball didn't go into the pocket when it should have done.
I know that feeling, some days it can feel like it's just not going your way. I think i need to chill out sometimes. It's when you feel like a ball didn't go into the pocket when it should have done.

Yeah it used to get pretty bloody annoying haha. I'd much rather have a bad luck day than to just not be cueing well though. Worse still to go through a spell of bad cueing for like a month, I've had that and it was so frustrating.
Reply 47
Original post by WoodyMKC
Yeah it used to get pretty bloody annoying haha. I'd much rather have a bad luck day than to just not be cueing well though. Worse still to go through a spell of bad cueing for like a month, I've had that and it was so frustrating.

Yeah I hear you. I went through a phase where all my shots would be off to the left of where I aimed, and I always ended up overcorrecting it. Turned out after 3 weeks of trying to figure it out it was just my stance that I'd changed without realising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I hear you. I went through a phase where all my shots would be off to the left of where I aimed, and I always ended up overcorrecting it. Turned out after 3 weeks of trying to figure it out it was just my stance that I'd changed without realising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its often something small but it makes a massive difference. I played badly for a couple of weeks once before realising that I had started holding the cue too tightly lol. I often found that if I was ever having a bad session though it was because I kept moving my head on the shot.
Let me know if you need any snooker trophies for a competition. I may have some old ones for free.
Reply 50
Been months since I updated this! Well since then I have purchased my own snooker cue instead of using the ones at the club and have certainly improved my pot percentage. I can do long distance pots more consistently too but overall progress has slowed down a fair bit!

Quick Reply

Latest