The Student Room Group

Forensic science

Hi im currently in year 11 and need to start making my sixth form applications but before I do this I was wondering if anyone has any experience in a forensic science uni course as it is what I'm looking to do after a level. I am looking at taking chemistry maths geography and one other subject. If anyone could tell me what the course is like it would be muchly appreciated so I know which a levels I should apply to do.
Reply 1
Original post by lexicon238
Hi im currently in year 11 and need to start making my sixth form applications but before I do this I was wondering if anyone has any experience in a forensic science uni course as it is what I'm looking to do after a level. I am looking at taking chemistry maths geography and one other subject. If anyone could tell me what the course is like it would be muchly appreciated so I know which a levels I should apply to do.

Hi, Lexi
I am applying for my unis in forensic science. My courses often required one of the 3 sciences. Biology, Chemistry or Physic,
It also require Maths. But the fourth one is up to you.
Reply 2
I've got 4 offers at the moment for Forensic Science to start in 2014. I don't do Chemistry but I do Biology and Geography. Most want a pass in Biology and a pass in another Science (not necessarily Chemistry, some accept Geography as a "natural science"). You don't necessarily need chemistry and biology but it would probably work in your favour if you did them both! The courses look like they mainly focus on analysis so skills you'll get in Chemistry and Geography will be perfect
Reply 3
Thank you :smile: that should make my decision easier
Reply 4
Original post by zoedx
I've got 4 offers at the moment for Forensic Science to start in 2014. I don't do Chemistry but I do Biology and Geography. Most want a pass in Biology and a pass in another Science (not necessarily Chemistry, some accept Geography as a "natural science"). You don't necessarily need chemistry and biology but it would probably work in your favour if you did them both! The courses look like they mainly focus on analysis so skills you'll get in Chemistry and Geography will be perfect

Were are your offers for? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by megzo

wow sorry for the slow reply, only just seen this haha!
I got 5 offers, UWE Bristol, Nottingham Trent, Worcester, De Monfort and Staffordshire!
Original post by megzo

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been checking this thread for a while.
I gotten offers from UEA, Kent, University of South Wales, Derby and Huddersfield.

I have chosen Huddersfield as my first choice, and Derby as my second choice. I didn't think I did very well for my A2 exams.
Original post by zoedx

Hey, have you chosen your first choice and second choice yet?
Reply 8
Original post by npnguyen94
Hey, have you chosen your first choice and second choice yet?

hey, yeah I have chosen UWE as top choice and Worcester as insurance, purely because of location
Was going to choose Nottingham Trent as insurance because it was so good but too far away and location is so important to me!
Have you chosen?
Original post by zoedx
hey, yeah I have chosen UWE as top choice and Worcester as insurance, purely because of location
Was going to choose Nottingham Trent as insurance because it was so good but too far away and location is so important to me!
Have you chosen?

Yeah, I have. I picked University of Huddersfield as my first choice because of the course content, and the fact I don't think I did very well for my A2. I picked Derby as insurance because the grades requirement will be lower.
Reply 10
Yeah, I have. I picked University of Huddersfield as my first choice because of the course content, and the fact I don't think I did very well for my A2. I picked Derby as insurance because the grades requirement will be lower.

yeah luckily UWE is close to home and has amazing facilities and things :smile: oh really, what A2s did you do? I thought my first biology exam was horrible, got to do the second tomorrow!
Original post by zoedx
wow sorry for the slow reply, only just seen this haha!
I got 5 offers, UWE Bristol, Nottingham Trent, Worcester, De Monfort and Staffordshire!

hi I'm in year 12 and I'm not if my grades are going to be enough. I do Bio, chem, Maths and psychology. If you don't mind me asking hat were your AS grades and predictions?
Reply 12
Original post by mathusa97
hi I'm in year 12 and I'm not if my grades are going to be enough. I do Bio, chem, Maths and psychology. If you don't mind me asking hat were your AS grades and predictions?

At AS I got a B in biology, A in psychology, 2 more As and a B in general studies, predicted AABB this year, but don't take that to mean anything... I got an offer for 300 UCAS points with a C in biology or chemistry, so if you were to drop an AS you get to use the UCAS points for that (I have about 60 from the AS I dropped, making it 240 I need) and 240 ucas points is 3 Cs, so you can do that :smile:
Original post by zoedx
At AS I got a B in biology, A in psychology, 2 more As and a B in general studies, predicted AABB this year, but don't take that to mean anything... I got an offer for 300 UCAS points with a C in biology or chemistry, so if you were to drop an AS you get to use the UCAS points for that (I have about 60 from the AS I dropped, making it 240 I need) and 240 ucas points is 3 Cs, so you can do that :smile:

wow your grades are amazing! Thank you! What is your first choice uni? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by mathusa97
wow your grades are amazing! Thank you! What is your first choice uni? :smile:

yeah they're only my predicted grades though i wouldn't hold my breath haha! it's the university of west england, it was the nicest i saw and it's close to home as well, and that was the highest offer i got (300 UCAS points) - the others i got an offer of 260 points which is BCC or less than that if you include your AS!
Original post by zoedx
yeah luckily UWE is close to home and has amazing facilities and things :smile: oh really, what A2s did you do? I thought my first biology exam was horrible, got to do the second tomorrow!

I did Biology, Chemistry and maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
I did Biology, Chemistry and maths.

woah that's hard
Original post by zoedx
woah that's hard

Yeah they were that is why I am not so keen on the results. At least I know I did my best, so I am just hoping it will turn out OK in August. I wish you all the best too. I will give you a shout when I know where I will be attending.
Original post by zoedx
yeah they're only my predicted grades though i wouldn't hold my breath haha! it's the university of west england, it was the nicest i saw and it's close to home as well, and that was the highest offer i got (300 UCAS points) - the others i got an offer of 260 points which is BCC or less than that if you include your AS!

I'm sending off my UCAS apllication in about a month but I'm finding it difficult to choose my top 5 unis. My predicted grades are BBC so not too good. Which uni did you choose at the end? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending