The Student Room Group

how to break in dr martens?

I just got a pair and before getting them I read on the internet about having to break them in before they get comfy. Anyway I went for a 40minute walk on saturday in mine and afterwards my socks had big bloody patches on them. My feet hurt so ****ing much, I can't wear any shoes, not even converse because my heels are so ****ed up from the dr martens.

So what I want to know is is there an easier way to break them in? I read on the internet about hitting the heel with a hammer but I have no idea if that actually works (and I don't want to ruin $130 boots). Also stuff like fill them with newspaper and put them in a warm oven, again, don't want to ruin them. Anyone know a way that actually works or do I just have to man up and wear them for increasing amounts of time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I first wore mine, for the first few weeks I'd wear thick boot socks and plasters on my heels - and only if I was just going out to the supermarket or something! Don't go out in them for long walks etc until they're comfy. After like a month of wearing them occasionally they were my comfiest shoes though :yes:
Aw, soak your feet in warm bubble bath. I think you're supposed to wear two pairs of thick socks the first couple of times you wear them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
I just got a pair and before getting them I read on the internet about having to break them in before they get comfy. Anyway I went for a 40minute walk on saturday in mine and afterwards my socks had big bloody patches on them. My feet hurt so ****ing much, I can't wear any shoes, not even converse because my heels are so ****ed up from the dr martens.

So what I want to know is is there an easier way to break them in? I read on the internet about hitting the heel with a hammer but I have no idea if that actually works (and I don't want to ruin $130 boots). Also stuff like fill them with newspaper and put them in a warm oven, again, don't want to ruin them. Anyone know a way that actually works or do I just have to man up and wear them for increasing amounts of time?

Wear the thickest socks you own and carry around a packet of blister plasters, and just wear them in. It hurts like hell for a couple of weeks and then they feel like heaven. It'll be worth it!
Small voice: my mum was in the RAF and they used to pee on their new regulation issue shoes to make them wearable. Urea is a main ingredient in shoe stretching sprays and the like. I'm sorry for mentioning it. I'll go away now...:ashamed:
Reply 5

I found giving the heels a good bashing with a mallet to be pretty effective tbh. I wrapped them in a bath towel and then just spent about 15-20 minutes at a time just hitting them with a rubber mallet in that heel area. You do have to "earn" a pair of DM's tbh... there's a requisite amount of pain that you'll inevitably go through as your feet get used to them. You'll invariably develop callouses on your heels as you get used to them, but it'll get better :smile: Stick at it!
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies, as I thought, I have to man up. I'll try wearing thick socks once I can wear shoes again. My poor feet.... :no:

I have to go out on friday so really hoping the damage is healed by then, I'd look idiotic wearing flipflops in mid-October. :colondollar:

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Small voice: my mum was in the RAF and they used to pee on their new regulation issue shoes to make them wearable. Urea is a main ingredient in shoe stretching sprays and the like. I'm sorry for mentioning it. I'll go away now...:ashamed:

Erm...yeah, I don't think I'll be doing that :tongue:

Original post by Mad Vlad
I found giving the heels a good bashing with a mallet to be pretty effective tbh. I wrapped them in a bath towel and then just spent about 15-20 minutes at a time just hitting them with a rubber mallet in that heel area. You do have to "earn" a pair of DM's tbh... there's a requisite amount of pain that you'll inevitably go through as your feet get used to them. You'll invariably develop callouses on your heels as you get used to them, but it'll get better :smile: Stick at it!

I don't have a mallet, only a hammer, do you think that would damage them? (I'd wrap them in a towel)
Reply 7
Firstly get some special blister plasters. You can find them at most supermarkets or Boots (I use a brand called 'compeed'). They are pretty decent and will stop the pain and make your heel heal faster.

As said above wear thick socks as well.

Finally, the best way is to simply let them wear in. This may take 1-2 weeks or so. With blister plasters you shouldn't have a problem.
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies, as I thought, I have to man up. I'll try wearing thick socks once I can wear shoes again. My poor feet.... :no:

I have to go out on friday so really hoping the damage is healed by then, I'd look idiotic wearing flipflops in mid-October. :colondollar:

Erm...yeah, I don't think I'll be doing that :tongue:

I don't have a mallet, only a hammer, do you think that would damage them? (I'd wrap them in a towel)

Best way to do it is to wear them around the house and do some light walking in them, up to the point your heels start hurting too much, let them recover for a day or so and then repeat the process. That'll toughen up your heels.

As for the boots themselves, whatever tool you use, try and make it as large-headed as possible. What you're doing is loosening up the leather. I found heel-stomping the backs of the boots quite therapeutic after they ruined the backs of my heels! It's quite a good alternative. :smile:
Original post by Mad Vlad
Best way to do it is to wear them around the house and do some light walking in them, up to the point your heels start hurting too much, let them recover for a day or so and then repeat the process. That'll toughen up your heels.

As for the boots themselves, whatever tool you use, try and make it as large-headed as possible. What you're doing is loosening up the leather. I found heel-stomping the backs of the boots quite therapeutic after they ruined the backs of my heels! It's quite a good alternative. :smile:
And then pee on them. Seriously.
Reply 10
i just bled for mine. nearly a decade later they look the business. proper martens are always worth it.
Reply 11
Easy. Walk around in them in the house with thick hiking socks or football/rugby sports socks to initially start breaking them in and then pee in them :yep:
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Easy. Walk around in them in the house with thick hiking socks or football/rugby sports socks to initially start breaking them in and then pee in them :yep:

See, it's not just me... (Or rather, my mum...)
Reply 13
I'd just like to correct what I said, OP. Pee ON them and not IN them :rofl: woops!

See, it's not just me... (Or rather, my mum...)

I'll pee on your boots any day :pierre:
I'd just like to correct what I said, OP. Pee ON them and not IN them :rofl: woops!

I'll pee on your boots any day :pierre:

Since I'm probably older than your mum, you might want to reconsider that. Also, peeing in then is not the wrong thing to do as it soaks them from the inside, where the leather is untreated, and therefore easier to stretch. Just wash them carefully afterwards...

I know too much about this, don't I?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Since I'm probably older than your mum, you might want to reconsider that.

I was just saying that if you feel it would be unladylike to pee on your boots then I'd be willing to do it.

What did you think I meant? :curious:

:wink: :lol:
I was just saying that if you feel it would be unladylike to pee on your boots then I'd be willing to do it.

What did you think I meant? :curious:

:wink: :lol:

I have no knowledge of what young people these days regard as recreational activity...

I appreciate you are likely to have a better aim than me and thank you for your offer.
Reply 17
I have no knowledge of what young people these days regard as recreational activity...

I appreciate you are likely to have a better aim than me and thank you for your offer.

Besides, who's to say I don't find older women attractive? :pierre:
Besides, who's to say I don't find older women attractive? :pierre:

Trust me, not THIS old. You'd need a therapist.
Reply 19
Trust me, not THIS old. You'd need a therapist.

[video="youtube;CmZrVwH172M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmZrVwH172M[/video]

Latest