The Student Room Group

How long do you spend on an Essay?

So, I have an essay due for a weeks time, and I'm having a really hard time getting motivated. I'm determined to get it done though, so I'm starting now, I just wanted to know how long on average do you spend on an essay? Do you still get good marks? It's actually my first essay for uni and it was sorta sprung on me.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Days, Weeks, Months, Years....
Thats why I didn't pick any essay writing subjects for A level.
Reply 2
5, maybe 6.
It varies. Unless I'm under timed conditions i.e. exam, I do it alongside browsing the internet. I'll do, say, the introduction, on the day it's set and write bullet points so I know what to write about but I end up cramming it in a day or 2 before the deadline. I still always get it done though.
Reply 4
Ages
Reply 5
It's such a relief to know that other people don't start weeks in advance, I was freaking out a bit and feeling unmotivated, but I'm feeling better about it now.
I plan first so I know exactly what I'm writing about in each section. I tend to do this on the day I get the essay, but then I *accidentally* leave it til a few days before the deadline. However I find it a lot easier and less stressful to write if I have my plan out in front of me. I usually spend about 2 hours writing it.

I do 3 subjects which require essays (French, German and English Literature)

I hope this helped a little bit!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tend to set a day aside within good time of the deadline, usually a week or two before. I go off to the library armed with snacks around midday, find a quiet spot and just sit there until it's done. Usually I'll be in there until 8-9pm. I never intended to do this but this is just how I did most of my essays. It was rare that I ever did it bit by bit over different days.
I get too distracted if I stay in my room to do it, found myself cleaning the sink, tidying up, reorganising things etc instead haha.
So in answer to your question, probably 8-9 hours.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
5, maybe 6.

Where's the units? -_-
Reply 9
I always plan in advance, so that I have time to make a plan what's going to be in that essay, then put piece by piece each day until I get the final result :smile: I know what happens if you do a day before and what happens when you do a week before :mmm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Well this evening I spent 10 minutes on mine, was only 500 words though.
Reply 11
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Where's the units? -_-

Maybe 7.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Maybe 7.

My maths ocd is kicking in, this overwhelming feeling inside!

I've sussed it down to hours or days, but can't decide!!
Depends how long I have to do it- I can write it in 1 and a bit days if needs be.
I do a lot of research/pondering for the first few days after getting the assignment, then leave it 'til around 12 hours before the deadline and settle in for a hellish allnighter sustained by litres of over-sugared coffee and entire boxes of cereal.
1 day researching/planning, 1 day writing. Then i'll come back to it and make sure it's good.
Depends how many words... to be honest if it's a 500 word essay I can do it in less than an hour quite comfortably.
It depends on how long it is and how much you're going to need to read around so for around 1000-3000 words and to do it in good time my general plan was to start the research a few weeks before the deadline and leave about 5 days to write (that's around lectures). However, I did once write a 3000 word essay from scratch including the research in 1 day so it can be done (and I still got around 65 so not too bad!).
Reply 18
Original post by hothedgehog
It depends on how long it is and how much you're going to need to read around so for around 1000-3000 words and to do it in good time my general plan was to start the research a few weeks before the deadline and leave about 5 days to write (that's around lectures). However, I did once write a 3000 word essay from scratch including the research in 1 day so it can be done (and I still got around 65 so not too bad!).

Ah you've put some pressure on me! Currently doing a 3000 word essay and it's my fourth day ( like 4/5 hours thurs/frid then weekend) working on it. I've got around 500 words left, nearly there! hope i get a good grade, would be really happy with 65 though!
Original post by Maths94
Ah you've put some pressure on me! Currently doing a 3000 word essay and it's my fourth day ( like 4/5 hours thurs/frid then weekend) working on it. I've got around 500 words left, nearly there! hope i get a good grade, would be really happy with 65 though!

Ha ha, I wouldn't worry about it - I spewed out that essay I was talking about in my masters year for a course which was designed to put the pressure on to make you learn to read a lot and assimilate it quickly. It was actually a really handy course but did leave you scrabbling around a bit! I always found the trick was (if you have time) to finish your essay, leave it until the next morning and then proof-read and edit it. Surprising how much just taking yourself away from it and having a break can do! Good luck with your essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending