The Student Room Group

Is Warwick a target for all subjects?

Hi

I am planning on applying for engineering courses but I want to work in investment banking (trading). Ill apply to imperial, UCL(x2), Warwick, Bristol.

Is Warwick only a target for its business school and its math/econ departments? Would I struggle to break in from engineering at Warwick compared to WBS/Econ at Warwick?

Im assuming less people are interested in banking in engineering compared to econ, but does anyone know any Warwick engineers in FO BB?

I dont know if I should put down Southampton as they are one of the best for engineering, but they are not even a semi-target for IB...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Why is it you want to do Investment banking? A quantitate subject from Warwick is a definite positive to an application, despite it being in engineering. If I were you, you'd definitely be a stronger applicant if you were to study Physics/Mathematics/Econ etc. but not by a considerable margin.
Reply 2
Original post by Mathsz0r
Why is it you want to do Investment banking? A quantitate subject from Warwick is a definite positive to an application, despite it being in engineering. If I were you, you'd definitely be a stronger applicant if you were to study Physics/Mathematics/Econ etc. but not by a considerable margin.

Thanks for the reply,

Tbh I dont really enjoy econ, I think maths at warwick would be too hard, and I dont meet the entry requirements for physics, so I am choosing engineering.

As to why IB, I trade in the stock market already, and make a return, I enjoy it and I would like to do it for a living

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ShadowFax895
Hi

I am planning on applying for engineering courses but I want to work in investment banking (trading). Ill apply to imperial, UCL(x2), Warwick, Bristol.

Is Warwick only a target for its business school and its math/econ departments? Would I struggle to break in from engineering at Warwick compared to WBS/Econ at Warwick?

Im assuming less people are interested in banking in engineering compared to econ, but does anyone know any Warwick engineers in FO BB?

I dont know if I should put down Southampton as they are one of the best for engineering, but they are not even a semi-target for IB...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick Engineering is fine. Definitely do not pick Southampton over Warwick, if getting into FO banking is your aim.

I went to a target uni and tbh I would say the only real advantage the econ/maths/finance students had over engineering students, was the fact that they were more exposed to banking/finance events + had more friends interested in those fields, than people from other departments.

Uni rep is what matters most, not degree. As long as you aren't doing something mickey mouse (eg. media studies, art history, etc), generally speaking you should be ok with any degree from the 6 target unis.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MAINE.
Warwick Engineering is fine. Definitely do not pick Southampton over Warwick, if getting into FO banking is your aim.

I went to a target uni and tbh I would say the only real advantage the econ/maths/finance students had over engineering students, was the fact that they were more exposed to banking/finance events + had more friends interested in those fields, than people from other departments.

Uni rep is what matters most, not degree. As long as you aren't doing something mickey mouse (eg. media studies, art history, etc), generally speaking you should be ok with any degree from the 6 target unis.

Thanks dude, just to clarify...when you say that econ etc... grads are more exposed, what do you mean by that? Would I still be able to attend the same events as they can?
Reply 5
Thanks dude, just to clarify...when you say that econ etc... grads are more exposed, what do you mean by that? Would I still be able to attend the same events as they can?

I would assume what is meant is that since your subject is aimed at a career in this field, notices about it are given on the subject facebook group, and by staff or other students in lectures.
I do law at Warwick and we have LOADS of shout-outs about law careers events, but nothing about finance. BUT there is a society (or group of societies) for finance, which is open to all subjects, so you just miss out on a few reminders about events, or subject-specific events.
Reply 6
Original post by Katie_p
I would assume what is meant is that since your subject is aimed at a career in this field, notices about it are given on the subject facebook group, and by staff or other students in lectures.
I do law at Warwick and we have LOADS of shout-outs about law careers events, but nothing about finance. BUT there is a society (or group of societies) for finance, which is open to all subjects, so you just miss out on a few reminders about events, or subject-specific events.

Thanks, generally warwick is not known for engineering, and its not that competitive to get into either, does this make a difference? Will I be seen as inferior to imperial engineers?

Also are you looking to get into IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks, generally warwick is not known for engineering, and its not that competitive to get into either, does this make a difference? Will I be seen as inferior to imperial engineers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure where Warwick ranks in comparison to Imperial, but I expect if they're both in the top 15-20 it wouldn't make a huge difference, esepcially if you do other activites relevant to IB to boost any applications you make and have strong A-levels. If Imperial is a target Uni, it might be a better choice for you, obviously dependent on the course fit and everything as well, but otherwise Warwick would be a good choice.

I'm considering IB but more interested in insurance.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the purposes of banking recruitment, no one is going to care about how your engineering department ranks relative to other engineering departments.

For banking recruitment all that really matters is what university you went to. As long as you check the target box, doesnt really matter what degree you're doing or how it ranks in subject-specific league tables. For exmaple, I think Warwick Law is typically ranked below KCL Law in the law league tables, but you'd have better chances of getting into banking from Warwick law than KCL law.
Reply 9
What would say is better, even marginally, Electronic engineering at UCL or at Warwick?
EE seems like the best engineering course for me, as i like it and around ~45% get a first, at UCL/Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not S&T since you have experience in trading? I'm sure that a degree in engineering from Warwick won't slow you down if you come out with a first or second upper.
Reply 11
lol haven't heard a lot about warwick. imperial is the best for engineering. Heard ICL was working with formula 1.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Ben Kenobi
lol haven't heard a lot about warwick. imperial is the best for engineering. Heard ICL was working with formula 1.

I dont have physics A level, so only Warwick and UCL from the targets will accept me. I know they are not the best for engineering.
Reply 13
I dont have physics A level, so only Warwick and UCL from the targets will accept me. I know they are not the best for engineering.

Both of them are not the best universities for engineering. However, I would choose UCL solely for the better reputation.
Reply 14
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Both of them are not the best universities for engineering. However, I would choose UCL solely for the better reputation.

Yes

if I get offers from both, which I should as they are pretty poor for engineering, I will choose UCL. This is mainly because I would prefer to be in London.

UCL probably has a better rep internationally but in the UK I always saw them as equals

Where would you say are the best places for engineering outside Oxbridge/ imperial?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Yes

if I get offers from both, which I should as they are pretty poor for engineering, I will choose UCL. This is mainly because I would prefer to be in London.

UCL probably has a better rep internationally but in the UK I always saw them as equals

Where would you say are the best places for engineering outside Oxbridge/ imperial?

I heard that Manchester, Edinburgh, Southampton, Birmingham and Sheffield were decent for engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending