The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull City? confused>>opinions please (prospective Adult Nursing student)

hi there i live in london and have been thinking of studying at hull city uni since i visited a nearby village called barton upon humber. the main reason is the quiet and peaceful life. which is why i think i might go to hull city uni.but now am so unsure as i never really got to see the city plus i got a little girl and a partner although the don't mind moving but i want to know what am moving into trying to avoid regrets and wished i stayed in london. and also could someone please tell me about the multicultural life as am from a "ethnic minority" and if everyone is accepted for who they are although i never had a problem with that but moving to a different place is daunting for me as well as i have never moved this big before. people also say that hull is like a run down city is this true? please advise.
Reply 1
My opinion probably isn't as good as existing students but I'm applying to Hull and have had a good look around the city while there. Well seeing as it's just won city of culture I imagine you would definitely be accepted. When I had a drive and walk around the city some parts did look run down, but then that's normal for all cities. I've also heard it's pretty cheap to live there and especially as a student. Hope this helps.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks very much that's helpful at least I kind of know what to expect. Am hoping by if I get called for interview I'll be starting by September. Are you going there to? What course are you going for ?
Reply 3
i'm also from london and i'm a student at hull/. if you have any questions just message me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by smd4std
i'm also from london and i'm a student at hull/. if you have any questions just message me :smile:

How was transition for london for you. I have a little baby and a partner which makes the move harder as it means I have to rent a place etc and am not sure how affordable the place is and how it's all going to plan out.
Reply 5
Original post by tobisky247
How was transition for london for you. I have a little baby and a partner which makes the move harder as it means I have to rent a place etc and am not sure how affordable the place is and how it's all going to plan out.

it is a lot cheaper up here! i pay like 3.6k a year for accommodation where as my friends in london pay over double!

not only that but the shops are really cheap too!
Reply 6
Original post by tobisky247
Thanks very much that's helpful at least I kind of know what to expect. Am hoping by if I get called for interview I'll be starting by September. Are you going there to? What course are you going for ?

I've applied for Computer Science 2014 entry.
Reply 7
Original post by JC 042
I've applied for Computer Science 2014 entry.

I applied for nursing so am hoping to be invited for assements and interviews. I will be looking around the campus over Christmas as am visiting family in Barton upon Humber just to see the place as I have never been to hull
Reply 8
It's a really good campus, out of the universities I've been to (Leicester, DeMontfort, Loughborough, Manchester Metropolitan, Staffordshire) Hull has the best campus. Except University of Birmingham. That has the best campus in England.

When I went for an open day they were still constructing their new library, apparently it's going to be the best university library in England, but don't quote me on that.

I've heard the Uni wifi (across campus, halls, and student houses) is nothing but amazing, but apparently you have to split the speed between devices (10Mbps free, can upgrade to 25 or 100Mbps at a cost). Now don't quote me on this either but all student houses are given a free router to access the Uni wifi on, so if you buy a house in Hull you and your family could get free 10Mbps wifi and router.

Student Union building is awesome, they also won best student union of the year a number of times (Leicester won it this year (which surprised me because I saw nothing about their Student Union at their open day))
Reply 9
Original post by JC 042
It's a really good campus, out of the universities I've been to (Leicester, DeMontfort, Loughborough, Manchester Metropolitan, Staffordshire) Hull has the best campus. Except University of Birmingham. That has the best campus in England.

When I went for an open day they were still constructing their new library, apparently it's going to be the best university library in England, but don't quote me on that.

I've heard the Uni wifi (across campus, halls, and student houses) is nothing but amazing, but apparently you have to split the speed between devices (10Mbps free, can upgrade to 25 or 100Mbps at a cost). Now don't quote me on this either but all student houses are given a free router to access the Uni wifi on, so if you buy a house in Hull you and your family could get free 10Mbps wifi and router.

Student Union building is awesome, they also won best student union of the year a number of times (Leicester won it this year (which surprised me because I saw nothing about their Student Union at their open day))

You can access a faster WiFi network on campus on speedtests I've gotten speeds of over 100MBps up & down. I'm not sure about university owned housing but at the lawns every room has WiFi and Wired internet access.
Also KC communications are rolling out lightstream which is going to be one of the fastest available fibre connections in the UK for residential use when it's made available & Most network providers are upgrading Hull to 4G in the new year.

The Library redevelopment should be finished in June of this year before the exam period starts, some parts have been completed already and really are very nicely finished and nice places to work. At the moment computer access is a little limited as 5 or 6 floors are closed for redevelopment works.

The Lawns centre is going to be redeveloped in the new year ready for the new students in September, as it stands it's OK but a little dated. The plans look very good so it should be very nice when it's done.

Quick Reply