The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rembrandt343
Hey, I know that every student gets equal consideration before Jan 15 but could sending off your application early be an advantage at all or does it matter?

The pros and cons of applying early are discussed in our UCAS Apply 2014 FAQ sticky.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
The pros and cons of applying are discussed in our UCAS Apply 2014 FAQ sticky.

Thanks, sorry for not looking, I assumed it wasn't covered.
It doesnt make any difference.

One of the great urban myths about applying to Unis is that if you apply early you are more likely to get an offer. Its rubbish. If you apply before the January deadline your application will get 'equal consideration' with everyone else's. Itis that simple.
Original post by Rembrandt343
Hey, I know that every student gets equal consideration before Jan 15 but could sending off your application early be an advantage at all or does it matter?

One of the admissions tutors from our local university said, and I quote, "when students send their applications early, an admission tutor is trying to find the good in their application because at that time, say we have 50 spaces on the course and 200 offers to give out, there are lots of spaces that the university wants to fill up to make sure the course is nearly full by the time people pick their firm an insurance choices. But applicants that sen theirs end of December/ start of January before the deadline, each admissions tutor is nit-picking, trying to find a reason not to give you a place, because the course cannot be too full."

So yes, the earlier you apply the more likely you are to get in. It's statistics too, if you do maths you'll understand what I mean because the majority of applicants apply November+.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FlyHigh_er
One of the admissions tutors from our local university said, and I quote, .

Please will you email UCAS and tell them this. Full details, name of tutor and Uni.

Implying that a Uni doesnt give equal consideration is a very serious denial of one of the most fundamental aspect of the admissions procedure.
Original post by returnmigrant
Please will you email UCAS and tell them this. Full details, name of tutor and Uni.

Implying that a Uni doesnt give equal consideration is a very serious denial of one of the most fundamental aspect of the admissions procedure.

He explained that he is not not giving equal consideration, but don't all unis give out offers before Jan 15? Is it not so. And it's statistics, if 40 applicants are applying in October, each student has a better chance of getting an offer than in November when 100 students apply for the same course. He wasn't saying they didn't follow the normal admissions process, just that they more likely to notice things when recommending the application because there are less places as they closer to the deadline so they have to pick the best, no? That is the same at all unis, it's not just this uni. Really simple stats. You wouldn't understand how he explained it, because you weren't there, I put it in layman's terms.

Btw, I don't know exactly who he is and co.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are not 'less places' in November. They are giving out offers - and an offer is NOT 'a place'.
Every Uni has a formula : 'number of Offers = approx number of Firm & Insurance = approx number walking through the door in October'.
This is based on numerous years of experience and not spurious guesswork. We do not 'run out of Offers' by November.

You started off with 'but he said' and now, when challenged, you are saying 'well actually he didn't really say that, I just think that ...'

I think you need to actually listen more carefully to what people tell you and report them accurately - without putting your own personal spin on it.
You made a very serious accusation with enormous implications for both that academic and the University. Please be very careful in the future before you start making wild statements that you aren't then prepared to back up.

Your 'story' reeks of 'I made this up on the spur of the moment because I dont actually understand the first thing about the admissions process'.
Not clever.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
There are not 'less places' in November. They are giving out offers - and an offer is NOT 'a place'.
Every Uni has a formula : 'number of Offers = approx number of Firm & Insurance = approx number walking through the door in October'.
This is based on numerous years of experience and not spurious guesswork. We do not 'run out of Offers' by November.

You started off with 'but he said' and now, when challenged, you are saying 'well actually he didn't really say that, I just think that ...'

I think you need to actually listen more carefully to what people tell you and report them accurately - without putting your own personal spin on it.
You made a very serious accusation with enormous implications for both that academic and the University. Please be very careful in the future before you start making wild statements that you aren't then prepared to back up.

Your 'story' reeks of 'I made this up on the spur of the moment because I dont actually understand the first thing about the admissions process'.
Not clever.

So, If , say X send off his application at 15th Oct 2013 and I send mine off 12th Jan 2014. We get equal treatment?! And do they all process the applications together or...? If so ,what's the point of asking for an early deadline? Especially for Medicine? Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not clever.

Offer not places then, misuse of the word. That is how he said it, obviously I dont have memory that means I remember every word for word. I didn't say well he didn't really say that, it's what he said, I just can't remember every syllable for syllable. And I know you don't run out of offers, is that what I said? NO. I was using the example of the movement through time. And yes I do understand admissions processes, I understand it very well thank you, which is why I made my point but it is difficult to explain in writing as it is to say and explain by mouth. I wasn't answering your question, fair enough if you want to correct a mistake in thy way I convey my answer but don't treat me like I'm stupid, I wouldn't make up an answer, it wouldn't do any good for me, would it? I was trying to answer someone else's query. If you think my answer is invalid, then say so, but not as you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Offer not places then, misuse of the word. That is how he said it, obviously I dont have memory that means I remember every word for word. I didn't say well he didn't really say that, it's what he said, I just can't remember every syllable for syllable. And I know you don't run out of offers, is that what I said? NO. I was using the example of the movement through time. And yes I do understand admissions processes, I understand it very well thank you, which is why I made my point but it is difficult to explain in writing as it is to say and explain by mouth. I wasn't answering your question, fair enough if you want to correct a mistake in thy way I convey my answer but don't treat me like I'm stupid, I wouldn't make up an answer, it wouldn't do any good for me, would it? I was trying to answer someone else's query. If you think my answer is invalid, then say so, but not as you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But probably not as well as the person you are arguing with, who works in admissions I believe...
Reply 11
It doesnt make any difference.

One of the great urban myths about applying to Unis is that if you apply early you are more likely to get an offer. Its rubbish. If you apply before the January deadline your application will get 'equal consideration' with everyone else's. Itis that simple.

Alright, thank you returnmigrant.
Original post by ageshallnot
But probably not as well as the person you are arguing with, who works in admissions I believe...

I know that she does, but so does my cousin who I phoned up to ask about this also as soon as we had the talk, and the point is, I'm not arguing with her, I'm saying this is what I know and this is what you don't understand, I telling her shes wrong, she's trying to tell me I'm wrong but she cannot understand fully what I know. An that's alright. There's noting wrong with that since I wasn't even answering her question. But I just don't believe in people telling people they're wrong by assuming things, some of her statements that she said I said were pulled out of the air.

But anyway OP, send your form when you're ready.

Honestly, I think the discussion should be closed.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not clever.

He does seem to have a point though. As earlier offers are made, does the number of remaining offers not decrease, and therefore they will be nit picking?
I would think that if there was any nit picking, it would be from the very beginning and not after a certain calendar date. I think plenty of people can go ages without hearing back, regardless of how early they apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You clearly know exactly which Uni it was ('my local Uni') and you know which Dept it was.

Unless you are prepared to inform UCAS about this (and I would encourage anyone who encounters any claim that a Uni is ignoring 'equal consideration' to do exactly that - it wont harm your application) then please do not use TSR to spin stories that simply misinform.
Original post by scientific222
does the number of remaining offers not decrease

No. Because offers does not equal places.

We have no way of knowing exactly how many offers will be picked up as Firm or Insurance, so any attempt to 'ration' offers at any point between Oct/Jan doesnt actually have an immediate finite impact on 'students through the door'.

Many smaller Depts now use the 'gathered field' technique - they look at all applications together in February and make their decision on them as a group. Courses that attract 100s of applications cant realistically do this, and make offers as they are received.

The system works. Some applicants may not like the outcome and blame 'conspiracy' as a reason they didnt get an offer, when more likely a University simply didnt like their application.
You clearly know exactly which Uni it was ('my local Uni') and you know which Dept it was.

Unless you are prepared to inform UCAS about this (and I would encourage anyone who encounters any claim that a Uni is ignoring 'equal consideration' to do exactly that - it wont harm your application) then please do not use TSR to spin stories that simply misinform.

1) I didn't spin the story, like I said, it's hard to explain by writing. I understand the admissions process because I have family who is an admissions tutor.

2) I do know what uni it is, but he came as a speaker, not for a particular course, so no, I don't know who he is.

So honestly I think this conversation is over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
It depends on the uni to be honest. Some unis look at all the applications as they receive them and make offers or rejections as and when they get applications. But on the other hand, some unis don't look at any until the deadline and then weigh them all up against each other so you wouldn't have any advantage in applying early. I would aim to have sent them off before middle of November and then you know they'll be there. Good luck! :smile:
One of the admissions tutors from our local university said, and I quote, "when students send their applications early, an admission tutor is trying to find the good in their application because at that time, say we have 50 spaces on the course and 200 offers to give out, there are lots of spaces that the university wants to fill up to make sure the course is nearly full by the time people pick their firm an insurance choices. But applicants that sen theirs end of December/ start of January before the deadline, each admissions tutor is nit-picking, trying to find a reason not to give you a place, because the course cannot be too full."

So yes, the earlier you apply the more likely you are to get in. It's statistics too, if you do maths you'll understand what I mean because the majority of applicants apply November+.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh one of my local unis said more or less the same thing last year

Latest