The Student Room Group

Is UCAS a fundamentally flawed system?

Don't get me wrong, I like UCAS and what they're trying to do, but when I see how stressed applicants get about applications, and a lot of your chances ride on predicted grades which, according to this here article in the Guardian, are only accurate half the time (!?), it all looks a bit shaky and unpredictable.

So are you happy with the current applications system, or would you prefer a big UCAS overhaul?

Scroll to see replies

Applying to uni in general is just stressful, whether or not we have a UCAS system in place . Just ask people who apply to uni's outside the UK.
I think the system could be better tbh. Don't like it too much.
Reply 3
I think that UCAS isn't perfect, but the alternatives are worse. Realistically, if unis don't go on predicted grades then everything would have to be put back a year :s-smilie:
Lol UCAS is what you make of it. It's absolutely fine. Does the job. What do you want, a ****ing email with a massage voucher when you submit?
Original post by Milostar
Don't get me wrong, I like UCAS and what they're trying to do, but when I see how stressed applicants get about applications, and a lot of your chances ride on predicted grades which, according to this here article in the Guardian, are only accurate half the time (!?), it all looks a bit shaky and unpredictable.

So are you happy with the current applications system, or would you prefer a big UCAS overhaul?

It is very hard to reform UCAS because much of the system of post-16 education and university life has grown up around it. UCAS looked at proposals for major reform (to a post-A level system) a couple of years ago. Most participants in the process wanted it but no-one wanted to change what they did. It was all the other groups that had to change the way they operated.

So, schools were not prepared to bring exams forward. Examination boards couldn't mark exams any more quickly. University start dates could not be put back. Students were unhappy about having fewer choices. Oxbridge said they couldn't cope with the loss of vacation conference income. Academics said that they would lose research time.

Whilst the front (student focussed) end of UCAS has been online for some years, the back (university focussed) has only gone electronic this year. Until this year UCAS printed out most applications and sent them in hard copy to universities. Noticeably decisions from many universities have been coming through more quickly this year.

One major weakness at present is that it has become virtually impossible to apply for different courses because of the need for a coherent personal statement. Now that UCAS isn't having to push pieces of paper around, it should be possible for there to be targeted personal statements; or, given that most personal statements are never read, for universities to have the option of "if we want one, we'll ask for one".

It is said that one third of applications do not satisfy minimum requirements. It ought to possible for universities to programme in "red lines". If they ask for GCSE maths grade B, they mean GCSE maths grade B. If you can't submit an application that is doomed to failure, the percentage of offers made will increase. Applicants delude themselves that universities consider applications in the round. A university may ask for AAA. They may be willing to accept AAB if you come from a poor school or had extenuating circumstances or just because AAA was a marketing ploy. Alternatively they not. However, whether AAB would be acceptable, and in what circumstances, was decided long before any application was submitted. Universities don't make it up as they go along. Either a candidate ticks the AAA box or he ticks the box that entitles him to consideration for an AAB offer. There is far more scope for auto-filtering than is used today.

At the end of the day 5 choices are not to allow applicants to postpone decision-making but to ensure that the vast majority of applicants get at least two offers. If one can increase the chances of securing offers, then UCAS can cut down the need for 5 choices.
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
It is very hard to reform UCAS because much of the system of post-16 education and university life has grown up around it. UCAS looked at proposals for major reform (to a post-A level system) a couple of years ago. Most participants in the process wanted it but no-one wanted to change what they did. It was all the other groups that had to change the way they operated.....

Great post, very enlightening :smile:

In other countries, the university entrance system is completely different. In Japan for example, you take an entrance exam for the universities you want to apply to, and if you pass, you're in. It doesn't take into account your academic record so far or any kind of personal statement. The range of subjects available to you depends on your grade in the entrance exam, so only those who really ace the exam can do medicine,for example. In China, everyone takes exams at the end of high school, basically the same exam but if I recall correctly, there's a humanities stream and a science stream. The scores in this standardised exam determine which universities will accept you. again, if you make the grade, no questions asked.

I'm not sure if UCAS is more fair, as it's more individulised, or less fair because so much depends on your PS writing skills.
Reply 7
If English students sat the decisive exams in their second last year, as the Scottish do, instead of their last year of school then the predicted grades problem would be solved. They seem to be so inaccurate half the time that it makes the system rather unfair.
Reply 8
Original post by becko37
If English students sat the decisive exams in their second last year, as the Scottish do, instead of their last year of school then the predicted grades problem would be solved. They seem to be so inaccurate half the time that it makes the system rather unfair.

Interesting, would do away with the possibility of compulsory gap years if they were to stop using predicted grades. That said, how do you ensure that students keep working in the last year of they've already got their place?
Reply 9
I think it should all be sorted out after you know your results. But this would either mean having a really rushed summer to sort everything out, or starting uni later.
I think it is seriously flawed from many sides, not just predicted grades wise, and should be abandoned. The whole admissions system is very messy.
Bullet points:
- It's stressful during a very crucial point in time. Many unis interview people in January, which is when many people do their module exams.
- And then unis take their time to reply (as is only fair on them because they do get many applications, after all) and we've got to wait for them and the wait is none too easy. We're constantly hounded by the thought of whether or not we're going to get in and what to do if not, when actually we should be STUDYING.
I don't think most unis give predicted grades much credibility.
Tbh the only fair thing about the admissions process is the entrance test system that some courses/unis have employed.
If they do reform UCAS it'll be too late for us oldies anyway. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
I think something like the system in the USA would be better. You get unconditional offers rather than conditional so you know where your going before the summer so there's a lot less riding on final exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2smart4oxfart
I think it is seriously flawed from many sides, not just predicted grades wise, and should be abandoned. The whole admissions system is very messy.
Bullet points:
- It's stressful during a very crucial point in time. Many unis interview people in January, which is when many people do their module exams.
- And then unis take their time to reply (as is only fair on them because they do get many applications, after all) and we've got to wait for them and the wait is none too easy. We're constantly hounded by the thought of whether or not we're going to get in and what to do if not, when actually we should be STUDYING.
I don't think most unis give predicted grades much credibility.
Tbh the only fair thing about the admissions process is the entrance test system that some courses/unis have employed.
If they do reform UCAS it'll be too late for us oldies anyway. :rolleyes:

They've abolished January exams now, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Milostar
Great post, very enlightening :smile:

In other countries, the university entrance system is completely different. In Japan for example, you take an entrance exam for the universities you want to apply to, and if you pass, you're in. It doesn't take into account your academic record so far or any kind of personal statement. The range of subjects available to you depends on your grade in the entrance exam, so only those who really ace the exam can do medicine,for example. In China, everyone takes exams at the end of high school, basically the same exam but if I recall correctly, there's a humanities stream and a science stream. The scores in this standardised exam determine which universities will accept you. again, if you make the grade, no questions asked.

I'm not sure if UCAS is more fair, as it's more individulised, or less fair because so much depends on your PS writing skills.

The Japanese system sounds like a good one. I hated filling in my UCAS because of having to put in every last little detail. If someone took a GCSE and they don't want to declare it for whatever reason, UCAS doesn't make that possible.

Also the way the university's decision has to be based on your academic history almost entirely (slightly different in the case of Oxford entrance exams etc and the BMAT for doctors etc.) and this discriminates against people who've had a **** time of it at school. If you've gone to a good school, you've had extra help for your exams, help writing your PS and help for just about every other aspect. Whereas, if you've been to a terrible school, you get no help at all. That's my main issue with the UK application - the focus on academic history.

Applying to uni should be a level playing field. We should have the same exam board and the same exam content for secondary education. Then everybody sits a test based on the content of the exams which determines where you go to uni.

Ta. da.
Original post by Sheldor
They've abolished January exams now, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know. :smile: Old point I couldn't resist making though, heh.
Original post by Little Boots
Lol UCAS is what you make of it. It's absolutely fine. Does the job. What do you want, a ****ing email with a massage voucher when you submit?

+1

Best post on this thread.
Original post by BeautifulPotato
The Japanese system sounds like a good one. I hated filling in my UCAS because of having to put in every last little detail. If someone took a GCSE and they don't want to declare it for whatever reason, UCAS doesn't make that possible.

Also the way the university's decision has to be based on your academic history almost entirely (slightly different in the case of Oxford entrance exams etc and the BMAT for doctors etc.) and this discriminates against people who've had a **** time of it at school. If you've gone to a good school, you've had extra help for your exams, help writing your PS and help for just about every other aspect. Whereas, if you've been to a terrible school, you get no help at all. That's my main issue with the UK application - the focus on academic history.

Applying to uni should be a level playing field. We should have the same exam board and the same exam content for secondary education. Then everybody sits a test based on the content of the exams which determines where you go to uni.

Ta. da.

But with entrance exams you'd still have parents and schools paying for tutoring to help kids do better in those exams. Look at what happened to the Grammar School/11+ system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by alex193
Interesting, would do away with the possibility of compulsory gap years if they were to stop using predicted grades. That said, how do you ensure that students keep working in the last year of they've already got their place?

Well, that's the question. It's problematic that a lot of people stop working and/or drop out when they get an unconditional. The studying of Advanced Highers should be encouraged, however there is also an argument that the sixth year isn't strictly necessary. I have a good friend who went to university straight from fifth year and he didn't find himself intellectually disadvantaged in any way compared to either those who had stayed on for the last year or students from England/Wales/Ireland.
Original post by James A
+1

Best post on this thread.

I'm glad you agree.
People are moaning and I think they are silly.
Reply 19
yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending