The Student Room Group

Why is bullfighting not outlawed?

It seems a ridiculously cruel and vile activity. Perhaps we should take the swords away from the matadors and see how brave they are then?
Anyone want to comment on this vile activity?
Reply 2
Why is circumcision not outlawed?
Original post by Kiss
Why is circumcision not outlawed?

I personally believe that it should be outlawed for children and only later if the person consents should it be performed. Anyway bullfighting is a sadistic unpleasant activity.
Reply 4
Original post by Rational Thinker
It seems a ridiculously cruel and vile activity. Perhaps we should take the swords away from the matadors and see how brave they are then?

Imimagine some kind of animal cruelty legislation would catch it if it were to take place here or in many other countries.

It's presumably not outlawed in Spain because they view it as a part of their heritage and as a sovereign state can make their laws however they wish, outside of matters covered by the ECHR, which for obvious reasons of the H element doesn't apply to anything bovine.
Original post by Le Nombre
Imimagine some kind of animal cruelty legislation would catch it if it were to take place here or in many other countries.

It's presumably not outlawed in Spain because they view it as a part of their heritage and as a sovereign state can make their laws however they wish, outside of matters covered by the ECHR, which for obvious reasons of the H element doesn't apply to anything bovine.

That seems a rather fallacious argument bull baiting in Britain was regarded as "tradition" until people realised its depravity. Its sad because I have a lot of respect for the Spanish culture and hope one day it will get rid of this hateful anomaly. Spain has so many other things it could embrace.
Reply 6
I think bullfighting should be forced to adapt in a way that prevents serious harm to the bull. If we look at less harmful forms of bullfighting such as "pegas" and the ones in which the bull is simply toyed with with body feigns (don't recall the name right now) then I don't see why they should be considered more cruel than horse riding.
Reply 7
That seems a rather fallacious argument bull baiting in Britain was regarded as "tradition" until people realised its depravity. Its sad because I have a lot of respect for the Spanish culture and hope one day it will get rid of this hateful anomaly. Spain has so many other things it could embrace.

What part of that is fallacious? I didn't say I agreed with it, just that the people of Spain view it as a positive aspect of their heritage, rightly or wrongly, and that none of the international treaties to which they are a party prevents them from doing it.

Do I personally think it's cruel and barbaric? Yes, but you didn't ask my opinion, youasked why it is not outlawed and I gave a fairly logical answer.
Original post by Le Nombre
What part of that is fallacious? I didn't say I agreed with it, just that the people of Spain view it as a positive aspect of their heritage, rightly or wrongly, and that none of the international treaties to which they are a party prevents them from doing it.

Do I personally think it's cruel and barbaric? Yes, but you didn't ask my opinion, youasked why it is not outlawed and I gave a fairly logical answer.

I was not calling you fallacious and I apologise if you were offended. I was merely saying that I don't see why "tradition" constitutes a good argument for the unnecessary suffering of any animal. Other countries have managed to move away from such cruelty and it is quite disturbing that such an advanced country in many ways such as Spain still endorses this depraved activity.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's scandalous and to be frank I feel no sympathy for when the bulls gore matadors.
I was not calling you fallacious and I apologise if you were offended. I was merely saying that I don't see why "tradition" constitutes a good argument for the unnecessary suffering of any animal. Other countries have managed to move away from such cruelty and it is quite disturbing that such an advanced country in many ways such as Spain still endorses this depraved activity.

No worries, I gathered you were calling the argument that!

I'm not sure it's any different to Japanese whaling or similar, some countries for whatever reason decide one particular kind of animal cruelty is deeply embedded in their culture and thus take a long time to come round to the idea of not doing it (hunting with hounds...).
Original post by viriol
I think bullfighting should be forced to adapt in a way that prevents serious harm to the bull. If we look at less harmful forms of bullfighting such as "pegas" and the ones in which the bull is simply toyed with with body feigns (don't recall the name right now) then I don't see why they should be considered more cruel than horse riding.

The difference I suppose is that horses can often benefit from horse riding so long as crops and other punitive instruments are not utilised. Whereas even if "pegas" was used it would still be harassing and thus tormenting an animal for no reason at all.
Reply 12
The difference I suppose is that horses can often benefit from horse riding so long as crops and other punitive instruments are not utilised. Whereas even if "pegas" was used it would still be harassing and thus tormenting an animal for no reason at all.

Have you ever seen a horse bleed from rigorous riding? It doesn't take long in the right conditions... I'd call that tormenting.
Original post by viriol
Have you ever seen a horse bleed from rigorous riding? It doesn't take long in the right conditions... I'd call that tormenting.

I know it can happen I meant light riding without a use of punitive instruments. When I say riding I mean just enough to keep it exercised.
Reply 14
I know it can happen I meant light riding without a use of punitive instruments. When I say riding I mean just enough to keep it exercised.

Well I'm yet to hear of demands to outlaw harsh horse riding. Animal training in general involves many aspects which can be considered harrassment. I see nothing in a "pega" that I can honestly say is more so than any of those (and the same goes for body feigns).
why aren't battery hens and the intensive pig farms banned?
Reply 16
Why aren't abortions banned?
Reply 17
Animal rights are not as universally protected as I think most of us in this thread would like them to be. Some things that go on in the world break my heart.
Reply 18
Original post by viriol
Well I'm yet to hear of demands to outlaw harsh horse riding. Animal training in general involves many aspects which can be considered harrassment.

There are plenty of these demands. The BHA has limited then number of times a jockey can use a whip and the Grand National has made its jumps a lot safer, for example. These changes came as a result of external pressure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending