The Student Room Group

Suddenly swollen lymph nodes (I've got hamster-face!)

Last night, I was feeling a little odd, but not really unwell, and when I went to bed my ears were starting to feel strange like they were blocked up.

Anyway, woke up at 5am with the lymph nodes in my neck swollen to about 3 times the size-they're massive! It's swollen all the way from by my ears right round my neck. However, other than my ears and face being very uncomfortable from the swelling (so uncomfortable I can't lie on the side of my face), I don't otherwise feel ill.

Anyone got any ideas or experienced anything similar? Although I'm a big fan of just leaving things to see if they clear up on their own, I'm kind of concerned that it's come up so severely and so suddenly; worth a trip to the doctor maybe? :confused:
Original post by heidigirl
Last night, I was feeling a little odd, but not really unwell, and when I went to bed my ears were starting to feel strange like they were blocked up.

Anyway, woke up at 5am with the lymph nodes in my neck swollen to about 3 times the size-they're massive! It's swollen all the way from by my ears right round my neck. However, other than my ears and face being very uncomfortable from the swelling (so uncomfortable I can't lie on the side of my face), I don't otherwise feel ill.

Anyone got any ideas or experienced anything similar? Although I'm a big fan of just leaving things to see if they clear up on their own, I'm kind of concerned that it's come up so severely and so suddenly; worth a trip to the doctor maybe? :confused:

Whenever severe swelling is involved, especially around the face/neck area, I'd say get to a doctor. It might be a small infection or something, but I wouldn't give it a chance to get worse.
Reply 2
Doctor reckons ear infection (and I've gone from feeling fine to feeling REALLY ill-yay! :rolleyes:).

Have antibiotics; anyone got any idea how long it'll take me to feel better? I hadn't imagined you could feel this bad with an ear infection-I actually sat down on my bathroom floor and cried for my mummy earlier!

I really need to get back to uni ASAP, I already feel bad for not going today because I'm supposed to be doing my project work and it was really the couple of days when it really needed doing (and worried they think I'm malingering, but I'm finding it hard to make my way from the sofa down the hall to the bathroom-hence the crying on the bathroom floor, let alone going all the way into uni). Gonna phone ill into work at the weekend so I get proper rest-so should I be feeling significantly better by Monday?
Reply 3
antibiotics work pretty fast, get some rest, drink plenty of fluids, sleep. You should be feeling much better by the weekend.

(you have my sympathies....ear infections are horrid :frown: )
Original post by heidigirl
Doctor reckons ear infection (and I've gone from feeling fine to feeling REALLY ill-yay! :rolleyes:).

Have antibiotics; anyone got any idea how long it'll take me to feel better? I hadn't imagined you could feel this bad with an ear infection-I actually sat down on my bathroom floor and cried for my mummy earlier!

I really need to get back to uni ASAP, I already feel bad for not going today because I'm supposed to be doing my project work and it was really the couple of days when it really needed doing (and worried they think I'm malingering, but I'm finding it hard to make my way from the sofa down the hall to the bathroom-hence the crying on the bathroom floor, let alone going all the way into uni). Gonna phone ill into work at the weekend so I get proper rest-so should I be feeling significantly better by Monday?

Some of the worst times of my life were due to ear infections. Once you have antibiotics going through you though they usually respond well. I'd say because you caught it early, you should be feeling much more normal by Monday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest