The Student Room Group

Flag desecration

Hi guys, I have a rather weird question...

Do you know if flag desecration is considered a criminal offense under the international or at least EU law? I'd look it up, but it's for a school project and I'm kinds running out of time...
Original post by dreamer959
Hi guys, I have a rather weird question...

Do you know if flag desecration is considered a criminal offense under the international or at least EU law? I'd look it up, but it's for a school project and I'm kinds running out of time...

Depends on which country? The EU Court of Human Rights would probably overturn any conviction on it anyway.

It's just a bit of fabric and most of the developed world doesn't see flag burning in and of itself as illegal and covered by free speech. Though it can be socially taboo?
Reply 2
I agree with the social taboo thing, but I also saw on Wikipedia that certain countries have laws which prohibit it. Free speech may be important in the developed world, but I know that in some Eastern European countries you could get sued for walking around with a swastika. Obviously this is because for historical reasons people can feel upset at seeing it displayed in public and I wondered if the same maybe applies to destroying national emblems...
It's not against the law, it is just an act of deep disrespect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending