The Student Room Group

Essay structure question.

The method my teacher prefers is that we do the essay in three sections. For example, take the question "How effective at scrutinizing the executive is parliament?". He would tell us to first write a brief intro, then write all of the points suggesting that parliament is effective in the first section, then to write all of the arguments to say it isn't effective in the next section. Then write a conclusion.

But personally, after making a point i prefer to immediately pose the counter point, and come to brief conclusions on how valid each point is. My grades jumped from CCC in my first set of exams to ABB in the summer exams when i started writing this way. Which way is correct?
Reply 1
Just realized i posted a politics orientated question, but i'm asking for both subjects really.
Original post by lsherry
The method my teacher prefers is that we do the essay in three sections. For example, take the question "How effective at scrutinizing the executive is parliament?". He would tell us to first write a brief intro, then write all of the points suggesting that parliament is effective in the first section, then to write all of the arguments to say it isn't effective in the next section. Then write a conclusion.

But personally, after making a point i prefer to immediately pose the counter point, and come to brief conclusions on how valid each point is. My grades jumped from CCC in my first set of exams to ABB in the summer exams when i started writing this way. Which way is correct?

I would tend to think that the approach you prefer, the latter one, is the more advanced, assuming it is done well. There may be some questions you encounter for which the former is more appropriate, so I would not forget it entirely, but I see no harm in sticking to the point-by-point, especially if it is bringing you good marks already. If you'd like to post actual essays as examples, I'd be happy to take a look at them for structure or anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending