Visit website
Reply 1

Hello :smile:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
hey man what was ur conditional, man very few people on TSR goin for business and management it seems
Reply 3
Yeh aston and TSR dont seem too popular with one another at the moment......Probably cause peeps are just finnishing exams or are beggining summer.......try the aston guild forum....

http://www.astonguild.org.uk/cms/forum.php

You will be required to make a username and sign up...which is benificial since you will need to have done that during freshers week to sign up for stuff....

Im doing Marketing, all business courses do the same first year....so Ill prob be seeing you....Im unconditional tho....:-p

Have a nice summer and see you on the guild website
Reply 4
harshtodi
hey man what was ur conditional, man very few people on TSR goin for business and management it seems

I got the standard 320 points through 3 A levels offer, What about you? Yeahhh I have checked out the guild site but it also didn’t have many BAM applicants on there…. from what I’ve seen
Reply 5
yeh man i got the standard offer too, seems like aston is really pikin and choosing for BAM this year, the liaison officer i had for aston, the one visitin my country kinda gave me the same impression
Reply 6
BAM here too!
Well its a really popular course and most ppl are generally given conditional offers.Yep its same for most first years in the business skl, unless you are
a.)doing International Business (ull have a different module or 2)
b.)if you are an international student (instead of a paticular module called foundations of managment we do something like keyskills IT) fun :/

I think TSR wuld fill up with more ppl towards the end of the summer
Reply 7
I got an unconditional offer cause i got my 320 in january....
I do agree when it gets closer to results day it will liven up...and after results day...its going to be bursting with posts to say...yay i got in!! or the like...
Reply 8
haha well lets hope so, TSR is kinda gettin borin ive been goin on the student guild forums more nowadays, but i do hope it livens up a bit, the advantage of doing BAM is that we get to change to any other subject in the business school in the second year(atleast thats what the brochure said).
Reply 9
well to be fair TSR is a great place to get a feel of the place, i spent a fair amount of time reading up on forums but its not really a reflection of how itd be.Loads of ppl dont actually know abt TSR.Once u get here,attend all the events,meet flatmates& frnds and all tht, the real stuff happens =]

Well i chose BAM cuz it just seemed to give me a broad range of subjects seing that i dint know what i wanted to get into.lol alchemy if u read this thread how was ur first year?
Reply 10
My first year was, alright. You get out of it what you put in.

The course in the first year is, as you all know, fairly similar to all those other courses. on BAM you are likely to encounter:

Organisational Behavior,
Financial Accounting,
Marketing,
Foundations of Management,
Quantitative Methods,
Microeconomics,
Macroeconomics,
English Legal Method & Contract Law,
Business Decision Analysis,
Management Accounting,
Principles of Operations Management,
Information Technology for Business.

THose 12 subjects are split into to (1-6 and 7-12 respectively) over two terms, although the subjects held in each is subject to timetabling changes naturally.

Lots of the lectures are really good and it reinforces knowledge you may already posses and in other subjects, teaches you stuff you didn't previously know. Either way, the aim of the first year is to bring everybody up to the same standard and to allow further studies in years 2 and 4 to be of quicker progress.

The course lectures are good fun and generally well mannered and presented, you wont have much to complain about. The course bundles along and although at times it may seem like some courses are not really neccesary because you think you know everything there is to know about that particular lecture, it pays to be half attentive and listen.

The exams are not the hardest you will ever sit, but they are not to be taken lightly. Do it once and do it right is a good word of advice.

Year 1 is really just the stepping stone to your degree, giving you the choice between varied aspects of business and helping you to understand the mechanics and diversity of business operations. Law and Finance, Marketing and ICT are all things you need to understand and have capable knowledge of.

The first year has been good in all honesty, ive not put the greatest amount of effort in and thats reflected by my current average grade of only 55% ish. However, if you do enough to pass and get to your second year, you can choose the entities of busienss you like best and you can capitalise on your knowledge to make yourself an expert in two chosen subject streams.

The goal of year 1 is really to make it through and to take evertyhing in to give you a broad range of understanding. Do this, and you'll be in a great position for your second year.

As for further points of interest, you'll do about 16-18 hours a week of lectures for BAM (and I assume all the other business department courses) - including tutorial work (starting week 2) and lectures (starting week 1, after freshers). There will be detailed introductions during freshers telling you all the stuff that you might want to listen to if you want to make it around the main building and find the right rooms etc.

Working out your timetable is probably the hardest task you'll face in the first few weeks, apart from perhaps overcoming hangovers. The work comes thinly for BAM students in the first year, or it certainly felt that way in my case. This may or not be an advantage when you come to your second year (ill tell you when I get there :tongue:)

All told, I have thoroughly enjoyed BAM in my first year, but look forward to handling Law and Organisational Psychology in my second year.

Hope that sheds some light and hope I haven't made it sound like a drag, it really isn't. Some of lectures are a good laugh too (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not) as im sure you'll find out.
Reply 11
:O
Thanx for that!! wow *throws some goodwill +ve rep ur way*
:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 12
Id gladly swap +ve rep for drinks in freshers. Ill be the lanky auntie passed out trying to get everyone to play Basketball. :tongue:
Reply 13
hey come on no more BAM applicants out there, i cannot beleive this.
Reply 14
You wont be alone, there will be roughly 300 of you id guess :tongue:
Reply 15
Alchemy
You wont be alone, there will be roughly 300 of you id guess :tongue:

wo thats a huge number.
Reply 16
well, theres what, 5-6 first year business courses. and some first year business subjects have 1000 or so scripts to mark.

Its an estimate, I actually have no idea. But, a fair few tbh.
Reply 17
im doing managerial and administrative studies but i think the first year is the same for everyone isnt it?

after the first year i might decide to change to BAS if i want to concentrate on just two aspects of the business course
Reply 18
I'm doing business and management! So no, you're not alone...

Latest