The Student Room Group

Can Universities change the conditional offer?

I'm an Irish student and I received my first offer today from one of the universities I applied for - Psychology in City University London.

It was a conditional offer and said that if I get grades AAAABB at higher level in my leaving certificate that I will get a place.

Would there ever be a possibility that I could get in with lower grades? What generally are the chances? I'm hoping for around ABBB.
It is possible that the requirement might be relaxed if you fail to meet it, but don't bank on it; it will depend on what the other candidates achieve, whether the university is short of successful candidates and whether it feels you can succeed in the course.
Original post by Good bloke
It is possible that the requirement might be relaxed if you fail to meet it, but don't bank on it; it will depend on what the other candidates achieve, whether the university is short of successful candidates and whether it feels you can succeed in the course.

Thanks! So does this regularly happen or would it be rare?
Original post by _kevinmccormack
Thanks! So does this regularly happen or would it be rare?

Quite often. But the degree of tolerance given is usually only a grade or two.
Reply 4
Your "offer" won't be changed as that is a legally binding contract that they have given saying that if you meet those grades they have to give you a place. However due to that they make sure (mainly educated guess's on offer grades and numbers of offers given) that they won't therefore have to except more people then they have places. Therefore most of the time they have a few places spare after results and thus if you missed out on your offer you can beg them to give you one of those remaining places, however that's not a definite and is a huge risk if you are going to rely on it.

For example Bath gives A*AA offers for Mech eng however their admissions tutor came to our college and said that they have always let everyone who missed out on their offers with AAA in and a few with AAB. However the A*AA offer is there because if it was any lower they would end up with too many people applying to the uni and thus getting offers which they would meet and the uni wouldn't have enough spaces.

Hope that makes sense :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending