The Student Room Group

Alopecia

I intend to apply this september to read medicine . I have alopecia and am concerned that this may hinder my application, despite the fact that I feel I have a greater empathy for conditions suffered by other people and an increased understanding because of this. Please Help!?!?! Any advice ?
LouiseF
I intend to apply this september to read medicine . I have alopecia and am concerned that this may hinder my application, despite the fact that I feel I have a greater empathy for conditions suffered by other people and an increased understanding because of this. Please Help!?!?! Any advice ?

Forgive me, but why would having alopecia hinder your application? I really don't think it'll be a problem! :smile:
Reply 2
Agree with friendlyneutron - why would it?
Reply 3
Thanks Guys! I just thought that admissions tutors may think that I would not make a desirable doctor, after all, how many bald, female doctors have you seen? Also, do you think that I should mention it on my ucas application form, or, should I be fortunate enough to get an interview, take the opportunity to discuss it then???
LouiseF
Thanks Guys! I just thought that admissions tutors may think that I would not make a desirable doctor, after all, how many bald, female doctors have you seen? Also, do you think that I should mention it on my ucas application form, or, should I be fortunate enough to get an interview, take the opportunity to discuss it then???

Having hair or not will not impede on your ability as a doctor (after all, there are quite a few bald, male doctors out there, a couple of whom may interview you :wink:). Only mention it on your UCAS if you feel you want to (i.e. perhaps in your PS re: empathy, as you previously mentioned) but I certainly doubt you'd be obliged to. Good luck, and please don't let having alopecia stop you from applying for Medicine if it's what you really want to do!
Reply 5
It really will not hinder your application: and don't let it stop you from applying. After all, why would it make you a less desirable doctor?
Reply 6
i think it might only hinder your application if for some reason, unis thought it was brought on as a result of inability to deal with/general excess life stess.

But if you discuss it well at interview or in your PS, its more likely to aid your application
Reply 7
One of my friends has really chronic exzema she was totally upfront about her condition, even though our head of year thought she shouln't have in case it prejudiced her app, I would be upfront as well if I were you, in any case the admin peeps are human. BTW she has 3 offers for med so good luck to you I bet you will be fine as well:smile:
Reply 8
I know a medic with alopecia.
Reply 9
if it does affect you getting a place wouldnt that be discrimination?? correct me if im wrong!

Latest

Trending

Trending