The Student Room Group

Further Maths + Additional Further Maths Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DJMayes
Here is the list of modules I self taught and my UMS scores in them:

Spoiler

In terms of pacing, I spent ranging between a fortnight and a month learning the modules depending on how large they were (M4/M5 for example are half the size of FP3), with another month or two of papers after that. What you did is not similar to my method; I completed every single exercise in the book and then every single past paper on syllabus.

Oh I see, I just don't feel the need to do every single question from the exercises as alot of them tend to get VERY repetitive. And I tend to the harder questions out of the exercises (the ones most similar to the exam questions).

We have similar scores in M1-2 :biggrin:

Did you find any overlap with M4/5 with FP2/3?
Original post by Coral Reafs
Maybe cos your studying a few of the modules yourself, so your deffo very keen on maths :smile:

Btw I know its very to ask this, but have you got ideas as to where you wanna apply?

Well probably Warwick, Oxford or Cambridge, probably imperial... other than that not sure :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Robbie242
I did M+FM AS last year and this year I'm doing M+FM A2 and AFM AS self-teaching

gonna be sitting, S3, M3,M2, M4, C3, C4, D1, FP2, FP3

workload is reasonable at the moment, nearing the end of S3

How does S3 differ with S2? any significant overlap?
Oh I see, I just don't feel the need to do every single question from the exercises as alot of them tend to get VERY repetitive. And I tend to the harder questions out of the exercises (the ones most similar to the exam questions).

We have similar scores in M1-2 :biggrin:

Did you find any overlap with M4/5 with FP2/3?

A decent amount of overlap; differential equations in M4/M5 specifically have a large overlap with FP2. FP3 there is a bit of vectors work but otherwise not a massive amount.
Reply 24
How does S3 differ with S2? any significant overlap?

Quite a bit. Although there is significant overlap with Sampling and Hypothesis testing. A larger emphasis on different types of sampling and the Normal distribution is abused like crazy. There is little calculus in S3 and you get some new stuff such as the regression/correlation chapter and degrees of freedom
Original post by DJMayes
I did all three Maths A Levels last year. I had done 6 at AS and then did 12 at A2 (8 of which were self-taught) alongside STEP and Physics exams. It is certainly doable. What kind of information are you after?

Regarding costs, ask your examination centre. As I was still in sixth form my sixth form paid for it all so I don't honestly know.

how many modules did you sit in january and how many in june

and did you have to pay for step or did your school. and when you say you did every exercise. did you do literally every question. when had you learnt and done every textbook question for your modules by?
FP2 and FP3 require FP1 and C1-4 knowledge. You can do FP2 and FP3 at the same time since you don't need Fp2 to for FP3. M3-M5 needs C1-4. M4 needs you to be able to solve second order differential equations, which is a chapter in FP2 and M5 requires knowledge of the cross product from FP3. As far as I know, S3/4 just needs knowledge of previous stats modules. I don't know anything about D1/2.

How I know this - I'm doing an AS in FM along my A2s and I sit next to a guy in reg who's doing most of these modules.
Original post by abra-cad-abra
how many modules did you sit in january and how many in june

and did you have to pay for step or did your school. and when you say you did every exercise. did you do literally every question. when had you learnt and done every textbook question for your modules by?

Sat C3, M1-3, S2 in Jan, C4, FP1-3, M4-5, and S3-4 in June. Did every single question in the textbooks plus all exam papers. School paid for STEP for me.
I'm a post A-level applicant with A*AAabc, A* in maths, and A in AS Further maths.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with self-teaching 9 maths modules?

I am currently on gap-year, although not applying for maths, and wanted to finish all 3 maths A-levels for fun.

Modules already done C1-C4, M1-2, S1-2, FP1.

I wanna do S3-4, M3-5, FP2-3, and D1-2.

I have alot of time on my hands and want to achieve A*A* in FM and AFM.

Btw, how much is it to order S3,S4,M4,M5,D1 and D2? as these are the modules my school doesn't teach. I will be entering privately for the above mentioned modules.

I've heard rumors that it's approx ~ £18-£20 per paper?

Hi, I'm doing maths and further maths and I just found out that such thing as additional further maths exists :O
I'd really want to do it, at least 3 modules as an AS.
How did it all work out for you in the end? What modules would you recommend to do for additional further? is FP3 a must? and would S3/4 be a good thing to go along it if so?

Original post by DJMayes
I did all three Maths A Levels last year. I had done 6 at AS and then did 12 at A2 (8 of which were self-taught) alongside STEP and Physics exams. It is certainly doable. What kind of information are you after?

Regarding costs, ask your examination centre. As I was still in sixth form my sixth form paid for it all so I don't honestly know.

Same question :biggrin:
How was additional further mathematics? I know my six form doesn't offer it, what was your experience of it?

Quick Reply

Latest