The Student Room Group

Contacts for college

Hi,
Okay without my glasses I look like a new person, I want to go to a college no-one else is going to start afresh.
My eyesight is BAD, I mean BAD! It's like -10 in both eyes and I'm only 16!!
I go specsavers could I get contact lenses for this prescription?
Don't wanna get embarrassed if they say no, any experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Why would you be embarrassed lol just go in and ask...
Reply 2
My eyesight is a bit worse than yours, and specsavers told me that if I wanted contacts I'd have to get the long term rigid ones instead of the daily ones. Just ask them when you get a chance.
Reply 3
Original post by Flauta
My eyesight is a bit worse than yours, and specsavers told me that if I wanted contacts I'd have to get the long term rigid ones instead of the daily ones. Just ask them when you get a chance.

Hi, are they any good?
Reply 4
Original post by foggy-rain
Hi, are they any good?

Nah I decided against getting them, the idea of putting stuff in my eye freaked me out :tongue: Was just trying to say that you should be fine getting them if you want them, and the NHS money off voucher still works for them
Reply 5
Hi,
Okay without my glasses I look like a new person, I want to go to a college no-one else is going to start afresh.
My eyesight is BAD, I mean BAD! It's like -10 in both eyes and I'm only 16!!
I go specsavers could I get contact lenses for this prescription?
Don't wanna get embarrassed if they say no, any experiences?

Yes. Even stock lenses come in -10 prescription.
Reply 6
Original post by Flauta

There are dailies up to -12.50. Monthlies come in any prescription you need (there are customized ones, they are expensive though).
Reply 7
Original post by Kathy89
There are dailies up to -12.50. Monthlies come in any prescription you need (there are customized ones, they are expensive though).

Ooh what a useful post, thanks :smile: I'm -15.00ish (I forget exactly, changes every 12 months lol), I don't remember them saying about monthly ones though? They said I'd have to get 8 month ones.
My prescription averages at -12 and I wear dailies occasionally. Your optician will probably have to order them in especially seeing as it's such a strong prescription, so it might take some time to get them, but you should be able to get some.
Reply 9
Original post by Flauta
Ooh what a useful post, thanks :smile: I'm -15.00ish (I forget exactly, changes every 12 months lol), I don't remember them saying about monthly ones though? They said I'd have to get 8 month ones.

Original post by BlueSheep32
My prescription averages at -12 and I wear dailies occasionally. Your optician will probably have to order them in especially seeing as it's such a strong prescription, so it might take some time to get them, but you should be able to get some.

Original post by Kathy89

You can definitely get them that strong.

You may even be able to see better with contacts as it reduces the distance between the correction and your eyes. For very strong prescriptions they can be a much better option than glasses. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by skd1996
Just got contacts this monday, I'm at college and I hated myself in glasses.
They do them for whatever reason you want! I got mine from Specsavers!
They're quite nice actually, I used to just suffer in silence and walk around with blurry vision because I refused to wear glasses- contacts are so much better.

Original post by judging
I order my contact lenses online for £12.49 for 32 pairs of dailies!
I started out with some Specsavers ones but i hated them so Specsavers put me on a trial for a different company but they were worse and more expensive:/
In the end i just found a website online and thought i'd try them out and they're awesome:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help guys!
For my prescription, do you know how much they would cost?
Original post by Ranibizumab
You can definitely get them that strong.

You may even be able to see better with contacts as it reduces the distance between the correction and your eyes. For very strong prescriptions they can be a much better option than glasses. :smile:

Original post by BlueSheep32

Original post by Flauta

Thanks for your help guys!
For my prescription, do you know how much they would cost?
Reply 12
Original post by skd1996
Dailies cost between £22-£30 depending on the quality of the ones you get. Mine are £25 a month.

2 weeklies are £18

Monthlies are £13

(This is from specsavers)

Hi
Thanks for the info, if you don't mind me asking what's your prescription?
Reply 13
Hi

-0.75 in left eye and -0.50 in right eye. But the cost of the contacts is not relative to the strength :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by skd1996
-0.75 in left eye and -0.50 in right eye. But the cost of the contacts is not relative to the strength :smile:

Oh, thanks because mine is so bad, I feel upset :frown:
Reply 15
Oh, thanks because mine is so bad, I feel upset :frown:

you shouldn't feel upset! :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by skd1996
you shouldn't feel upset! :frown:

it's just that you feel helpless because it can't get any better, I can virtually see nothing without my glasses.
Hi

With specsavers you also get free eye tests, contact lens checks, and probably an NHS voucher to help with glasses. So buying online would be cheaper, but you'd miss out on the savings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Specsavers dailys, £6.50 a month, 30 pairs for three months - no complaints what so ever! I don't wear them everyday. If that's not enough you can obviously get more. I have a contact lens pot and fluid so sometimes wear them twice, you're not supposed to but it won't hurt occasionally tbh! And you get money off glasses and stuff like other people have said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skd1996
You have such a tiny prescription. Most optometrists don't even prescribe contacts for prescription like yours.

Quick Reply

Latest