The Student Room Group

Should I do Further Maths?

I'm now in year 11 and I only got an A in GCSE Maths. Do you think Further Maths is too difficult for me. Can a good grade (let's say A/A*) be achieved in the subject through a few hours of revision a week/day?

Do you know anyone who got lower than an A* in GCSE Maths and found Further Maths managble?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by oneabdi
I'm now in year 11 and I only got an A in GCSE Maths. Do you think Further Maths is too difficult for me. Can a good grade (let's say A/A*) be achieved in the subject through a few hours of revision a week/day?

Do you know anyone who got lower than an A* in GCSE Maths and found Further Maths managble?

Thanks.

It depends. Most of the time, you do all of your maths a level in the first year then all of further maths in the second year.
This can be challenging even for the best for mathematicians. Because of this, i would say maybe a several hours to keep up.

For example, Our year 12 FM class has 'finished' AS maths within the first term. Its difficult, especially if your only doing GCSE.
It depends. If that A at GCSE was a result of hard work and lots of effort, then it might be best to just stick to plain maths in year twelve, then pick up AS Further Maths in year thirteen.
It might be a good idea to do both FM and maths for a week or two, then drop FM if you find it too tricky. You should realise almost immediately if it is too hard for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Did you do it?
Original post by oneabdi

Thanks.

Guy in my class got an A and he's applying to top unis for maths, I don't know how but his learning curve has been by far the most impressive in the class. I'm not sure how much work he does outside class though
Reply 5
Wow. What about you because you said your in his class?

Thanks fo the reply.
Original post by oneabdi
Wow. What about you because you said your in his class?

Thanks fo the reply.

I got an A* at GCSE and I guess I'm probably on the same level as that guy, exams results wise I probably edge him though I would say he is a better rounded mathematician.
Reply 7
Any grade at GCSE maths won't gurantee you a good grade in FM. I got a B in GCSE and I got an A in Maths (2years) and im currently doing the whole A-Level FM this year. It depends on the person, there was someone in my class with an A* in GCSE maths who failed the A-Level. AS FM is okay, but A2 is really tough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ChildishHambino
I got an A* at GCSE and I guess I'm probably on the same level as that guy, exams results wise I probably edge him though I would say he is a better rounded mathematician.

How many hours of work did you put in to achieve a good grade?
Original post by oneabdi
How many hours of work did you put in to achieve a good grade?

Haven't done it yet :tongue:. Got my A* in normal maths a level last year and revised when it came to exam time and just did homework and that was pretty much it. But this year for further maths sometimes I have to go over stuff twice to make sure I understand whats going on.
Reply 10
Original post by Nitrogen
Any grade at GCSE maths won't gurantee you a good grade in FM. I got a B in GCSE and I got an A in Maths (2years) and im currently doing the whole A-Level FM this year. It depends on the person, there was someone in my class with an A* in GCSE maths who failed the A-Level. AS FM is okay, but A2 is really tough.

How are you finding it so far as well as the workload?
How many hours of revision/work do you put in a day or week?

Sorry for asking so many questions I just wanna be sure before I pick an AS subject. :colondollar:
Reply 11
Haven't done it yet :tongue:. Got my A* in normal maths a level last year and revised when it came to exam time and just did homework and that was pretty much it. But this year for further maths sometimes I have to go over stuff twice to make sure I understand whats going on.

So would you say if the right amount of effort/hard work is put in it's possible to get a good grade? Do practicing questions help a lot? Sorry for asking so much :biggrin:
Original post by oneabdi
So would you say if the right amount of effort/hard work is put in it's possible to get a good grade? Do practicing questions help a lot? Sorry for asking so much :biggrin:

Definitely, if you enjoy maths and have at least some natural ability you will do well with a bit of work.
Reply 13
Definitely, if you enjoy maths and have at least some natural ability you will do well with a bit of work.

Thanks for the help :biggrin:
Reply 14
Definatly do it! It's great fun, you could probably manage and if not, just drop it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Ben6597
Definatly do it! It's great fun, you could probably manage and if not, just drop it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is it different to normal A level Maths?
Reply 16
Original post by oneabdi
How are you finding it so far as well as the workload?
How many hours of revision/work do you put in a day or week?

Sorry for asking so many questions I just wanna be sure before I pick an AS subject. :colondollar:

Its okay. I've already finished S2 and FP1 and my class has just covered a topic in FP2. Im starting S3 after the half term. As you can tell if you're doing FM you're going to have to work at a fast pace and I can only just manage that. I takes quite a bit of time to fully understand a topic compared to my class mates, like I only click on half way through the lesson. TBH apart from homework I have done zero revision. I plan to do some FP1 past papers over half term and recap a bit of S2 and thats it. There is no point in rushing your revision, because you'll just forget by the time it gets to summer. Thats how I worked for Maths anyway, I find people revising everyday a bit too hardcore.
Reply 17
Are you going to be teaching yourself it or learning it in school? I've found it much more interesting than core maths and therefore found it really easy to put lots of time into learning it. Take a look at the specification for it, does it look like stuff you might enjoy?
Reply 18
Original post by Nitrogen
Its okay. I've already finished S2 and FP1 and my class has just covered a topic in FP2. Im starting S3 after the half term. As you can tell if you're doing FM you're going to have to work at a fast pace and I can only just manage that. I takes quite a bit of time to fully understand a topic compared to my class mates, like I only click on half way through the lesson. TBH apart from homework I have done zero revision. I plan to do some FP1 past papers over half term and recap a bit of S2 and thats it. There is no point in rushing your revision, because you'll just forget by the time it gets to summer. Thats how I worked for Maths anyway, I find people revising everyday a bit too hardcore.

My fear is that there will be topics I don't understand or just can't get my head wrapped around. Have you ever come across this and if so do you just revise off a book and do practice question or get a student/teacher to help you out? (This goes for Maths as well as Further Maths)
Reply 19
Original post by Flauta
Are you going to be teaching yourself it or learning it in school? I've found it much more interesting than core maths and therefore found it really easy to put lots of time into learning it. Take a look at the specification for it, does it look like stuff you might enjoy?

I'm going to be learning it at school. Does the teaching have to be great for you to understand topics or can you do topics at home? How many hours a day did you put into revision, was the revsion from the beginning of the year or as it edged closer to exam time?

Quick Reply

Latest