The Student Room Group

Why do students do this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I love my medical school (Plymouth), and am not bothered by my university's prestige. My medical degree puts me in exactly the same position as a medical degree from Oxford or Imperial, and I'm going to be a doctor on the same level as anyone else by the end of my degree.

All medical curricula have to teach the same sort of things, as all are regulated by the GMC. I actually love the style of learning (PBL) of my medical school- I couldn't face having sleep inducing lectures all day for two years, and only get to meet patients in my third year. It bored the heck out of me, and isn't what medicine is about.
Reply 21
Original post by asif007
(Coming from the view of a 3rd Year medical student at Leeds):

I met a girl recently who is applying for Medicine this year, and I started discussing the whole UCAS process with her. She said to me: "I'm applying for UCL - not somewhere rubbish like Leeds" and then I got into a big argument with her in order to defend my medical school, at which I am very proud to be studying. My cousin is applying for Cambridge and Imperial despite not even looking into other universities which IMO are better suited to her strengths, because she thinks those are "beneath" her.

It's all rooted in competition and perception of success.
Reply 22
Original post by raveen789
Although I have not met any people like that yet, I do agree. Most of my friends who applied to medicine knew the difficulties at every medical school. I my self agree with the humble part, being a re-applicant at the moment I have taken my application more seriously and have learnt a lot, I know for a fact that there is many ignorant applicants and even medical students about many things, so I agree with the humble part the most :smile: However I doubt people will change as long as there is league tables around!

Having got into Medicine second time round myself, I know that re-applying makes you wiser and more strategic about which medical schools to choose. But what I don't understand is why people ignore the fact that Medicine is prestigious anywhere in the UK and immediately go for the top universities without really putting much thought into their chances. I've seen several friends from college apply for Medicine at Oxbridge and London, get a full house of rejections and then drastically change their choices second time round, or abandon Medicine altogether and go into something else. Fair enough, there will be applicants who look down on certain medical schools and still get into their first choice university, but for those who don't - the ones who delude themselves into thinking that only the more famous universities are worth going to, even for something as competitive as Medicine - that just shows a lack of dedication. :s-smilie:

Original post by RainieXD
I understand where you come from... These people need to understand how competitive medicine is to begin with, and that every university is teaching the same course thus you end up with the same degree no matter where you go =_= I personally, would not apply to med schools outside UK (though I'd get rejected anyway lol) but that's only because a family matter and my mum just refuses to let me move away =_= If I was able to though, let alone get an offer, I would take the chance like heeell! I'm surprised people can look down on others even though you are studying the most competitive course out there... no matter which uni you're going to...

....Snobs these days. Lol

That's exactly what I'm getting at - there are so many students all over the world who are committed to achieving a place in Medicine in the UK, that they can hardly afford to be choosy and turn their noses up at medical schools which may not have overall university reputation attached. I'm sure there are thousands of students in your position who would give anything to get a place, so I don't see why that gives ignorant students the right to trash some of the best universities in the UK just because they're not Oxbridge or London. Understandably you can't apply for every medical school in the country, but why do people come out with those terrible comments like I mentioned in my OP? If you don't like a medical school, don't apply for it - but if you ask me, it's highly disrespectful to all the hard-working staff and students at those medical schools if you speak badly of their achievements. As I mentioned in the OP, my cousin is applying for Cambridge and Imperial despite (IMHO) not standing a great chance at the BMAT. She also commented that she thinks she can go to somewhere "better than Leeds" - but overall, why are those ignorant students so obsessed with league tables that they would rather risk being rejected from some of their choices?

Original post by Mr_Vain
It is just a human tendency, we don't always think rationally, we think upon our emotions. I am more than willing to bet that these are the sort of people who see the course as an ego-boost (family and societal pressures), not because they actually want to help people.

Also with the UK people in general are desperate to be seen as going somewhere, people are always on the make; in a constant state of dissatisfaction and bitterness. The problem I think, is society itself. When even doctors (i.e. people who are meant to be good people in society) act like Hampstead snobs then you know something is wrong. But then again the country in general is a large sinking ship. I applaud those doctors who are actually emotionally mature, like you seem to be, but there seem to be some right wretches shouting their merits around.

You make a good point. There is a big obsession with league tables and going to universities that are as close to the top of the tables as possible. But what I've found is that it's much harder to persuade medical applicants (if they don't know already) that league tables don't matter for Medicine. Especially people who are the first in their families to apply for Medicine or even (like me) the first in their generation to go to university. As you say, in many cases people are being pushed into applying for Medicine for the status and reputation rather than the desire to help people. I guess it's just about identifying who is really dedicated and who has ulterior motives because I truly believe that those traits will become quite obvious at interview. This girl I mentioned in my OP has apparently had an offer for Medicine already but turned it down to do another degree first, which is outright stupid - so I immediately know that something is not quite right about her decision-making. I guess this is why it's just so important to get all the right advice from the right people before you apply for Medicine from school.

Original post by TattyBoJangles
I think part of why some turn their nose up at medical schools outside of London / Oxbridge is due to pressure from misinformed teachers etc.

More often than not, those applying to medicine will have stellar grades and would probably meet the entry requirements for most universities.
A term I heard a lot when applying the first time was, "Oh, the University of X? Are they good for Medicine?"
If someone doesn't do their own research and relies on their teachers and / or parents to give then information, often the information they receive will be unreliable.
Their own fault for not doing the research, perhaps, but maybe that's where it comes from. "I have great grades and could get in anywhere and so-and-so says UCL's the best". Or something.

As for thinking my own medical school is better than the rest, if course I do :tongue:

In many cases it probably is due to a lack of research and a lot of misinformation that could make any student trash a medical school when the course is so difficult and competitive to get into. As I mentioned in my OP, if someone has an excellent application overall then they are free to choose any medical school they want, but if you ask me they ought to be more humble about the process and think of other students in worse positions academically who would do anything to achieve a place. I just hope that medical school admissions tutors make the right choices and select people with more passion, humility and intelligence rather than the ones who are academically excellent but could come across really arrogant. I know someone currently in 3rd Year Medicine at another university who is extremely intelligent and has achieved some awesome grades, but he's incredibly arrogant, attention-seeking and has awful people skills. What I don't understand is why he would make a better doctor than someone who has chosen their medical school wisely, done lots of research and put a lot of effort into developing relationships with patients on work experience, etc etc?

Original post by PG593
Well as a medical applicant myself and having a big family who study medicine at 5 different universities (St. Andrews, Cambridge, Sheffield, Kings and Leeds) respectively I do see this snobbery a lot but at the end of the day mate...medicine is medicine. There are so many talented students out there and in my opinion they are all capable and whether they go to Oxbridge or Cardiff etc. the standards are very high. If you want to get really pedantic, then yes I would say medics are Oxbridge may be perhaps slightly more academic hardy than another institution but then again I know many medics who have a perfect application but choose to go to medical schools for many reasons other than prestige, to choose a university purely on prestige is silly imo and makes one seem very egotistical just to say 'My medical school is better than yours'...the real question they should be asking if they are a serious medic: How can I become the best doctor I can be? Medicine should be about individuals, not about stupid labels to a university. What's the point in being in medicine at Oxbridge if you are social reclusive or have difficulty talking/handling people despite being academically gifted. You should be so proud to get into medicine, no one can take that away from you. Drop all of this competitive bull****, it makes no difference to you as a person, when it comes to the real world, who's going to care where you came from as much as compared to whether you can you do your job and if you can survive being a doctor. The government would not allow the university to teach medicine if they did not have a certain level of excellence so for that reason, all the medical schools share a common standard in that respect. Just to prove this point, I myself got an offer to study at Oxford (Human Sciences) last year but I turned it down because medicine is what I really want and the essence of the course is what matters, not the bragging rights in saying I go to this university. From my point of view, a medic = a medic and this goes beyond measuring someone's academic strength, medics should try to be all rounded and just because you are at a popular university does not justify that you are better etc. than another medic at a smaller less favoured university. :smile:

Couldn't have put it better myself. Luckily (apart from the people I mentioned in the OP) I haven't met any fellow medical students who are snobs and believe they are better than everyone else. But even before I applied for Medicine I already knew that this is a relatively elitist profession where you are bound to get snobs, who possibly come from wealthy families themselves. "My medical school is better than yours" is just immature for anyone to say, and justifiably they should be the ones who don't get into Medicine. They could go for any other course that depends more on university reputation, but IMO those people will not be the ones who are sincere and genuinely want to go into Medicine to make a difference to people's lives.

Original post by Pessimisterious
Because a fair few applicants don't reeeeeally want to study medicine. They just want prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. Tbh I'm starting to think that maybe my cousin and the girl I met are both applying for the prestige and not the actual course. :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Original post by jacoblee
It's all rooted in competition and perception of success.

That's what I don't understand. Do these ignorant applicants genuinely believe that someone studying anything at Oxbridge/London is more successful than someone studying Medicine at another UK university? :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by asif007
That's what I don't understand. Do these ignorant applicants genuinely believe that someone studying anything at Oxbridge/London is more successful than someone studying Medicine at another UK university? :frown:

I read that as him trying to point out, which I entirely agree with, that people assume doing well at A-Level is some indication of being academically superior. Someone thinks "Well, I've got/predicted A*A*A - I'm a borderline genius" when the reality is getting those grades doesn't imply someone's really that intelligent. It also promotes thinking along the lines of "I've got top grades, surely I need to be applying to the top universities in the UK?" - when in reality all medical schools ask for top grades and there's very little difference between them given the external moderation.
Reply 25
Original post by asif007

I think in some cases yeah because employers have that same perception. I think that perception is rooted in peoples experiences.

If someone's studying medicine at oxbridge chances are they're gonna be pretty successful lol.
People always give my uni (St George's) slack because we're regarded as one of the "lesser" London unis for medicine, but you know what, I'm kinda happy the way things have turned out because it means all the people who are full of themselves end up applying for Kings and UCL and stuff and all the humble ones come to SGUL. And I love it :biggrin:
Reply 27
I think in some cases yeah because employers have that same perception. I think that perception is rooted in peoples experiences.

If someone's studying medicine at oxbridge chances are they're gonna be pretty successful lol.

True, the chance of anyone getting a job straight off any degree other than Medicine depends a lot on the reputation of your university. Maybe that's also what convinces some medical applicants that they must only apply for the top universities, because they believe they will have better employment prospects. But as someone mentioned above, Medicine has virtually 100% employment prospects so there really is no difference between each medical school if you come out with the same job at the end of it. Tbh anyone who hasn't taken the time to find out that prestige and league tables don't matter for Medicine, shouldn't be applying for it in the first place. Any ulterior motives these people will have will show through on paper or at interview, so I just hope the admissions tutors do a good job of filtering them out.

Original post by Noble.
I read that as him trying to point out, which I entirely agree with, that people assume doing well at A-Level is some indication of being academically superior. Someone thinks "Well, I've got/predicted A*A*A - I'm a borderline genius" when the reality is getting those grades doesn't imply someone's really that intelligent. It also promotes thinking along the lines of "I've got top grades, surely I need to be applying to the top universities in the UK?" - when in reality all medical schools ask for top grades and there's very little difference between them given the external moderation.

Most students who are applying to Medicine because of the status and not a passion for helping people, will expect that because they have the top grades, they can get into any course at any university. But as I'm sure every medical applicant quickly discovers, there are so many more requirements for achieving a place. Personal statement, work experience, entrance exam, interview etc - so many more hurdles than most other courses. It's just ridiculous for anyone to say that they don't want to study at a particular medical school because it's "rubbish" - these applicants should quite justifiably find themselves without a place in Medicine and be forced to reconsider their choices of medical schools. The first thing I emphasise to anyone thinking of applying to Medicine is to apply to your strengths and don't choose any university because of prestige - it's a waste of a place.

I suppose it's a relief that the employers who choose students from other degrees based on their university's reputation, are not the same employers who recruit junior doctors out of medical school. People might say that Oxbridge is better than Leeds, but I would rather be studying Medicine (a course that I'm highly privileged to be part of) at Leeds than something else at Oxbridge. The perception from employers is that only the people going to the very top universities are "successful", but it's about convincing them that the same does not apply to Medicine. If we don't convince the employers, the arrogant applicants will keep coming. :s-smilie:

Original post by tania<3
People always give my uni (St George's) slack because we're regarded as one of the "lesser" London unis for medicine, but you know what, I'm kinda happy the way things have turned out because it means all the people who are full of themselves end up applying for Kings and UCL and stuff and all the humble ones come to SGUL. And I love it :biggrin:

That's the most ridiculous thing anyone could say about SGUL. Any medical school in London is a huge honour to be part of, if you ask me. That view probably comes from the elitist students who study at/applying for places like Imperial, UCL, King's etc. I suppose you will get stubborn and arrogant people at any medical school in the country because they let success get to their heads, but I'm glad you've found most people to be more humble. That's the whole point of us joining the medical profession - to develop good relationships with patients, we must be humble of the responsibility they've entrusted us with to look after their health, families, personal problems etc. Medicine is a privilege to be part of, so anyone who speaks badly of a medical school (especially in the UK, where the training has such a good reputation) doesn't deserve to get in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by asif007

That's the most ridiculous thing anyone could say about SGUL. Any medical school in London is a huge honour to be part of, if you ask me. That view probably comes from the elitist students who study at/applying for places like Imperial, UCL, King's etc. I suppose you will get stubborn and arrogant people at any medical school in the country because they let success get to their heads, but I'm glad you've found most people to be more humble. That's the whole point of us joining the medical profession - to develop good relationships with patients, we must be humble of the responsibility they've entrusted us with to look after their health, families, personal problems etc. Medicine is a privilege to be part of, so anyone who speaks badly of a medical school (especially in the UK, where the training has such a good reputation) doesn't deserve to get in.

I agree with all of your points, wholeheartedly. :smile:

The problem is that as medicine gets more and more competitive, only the "best of the best" who have never gotten below an A* in their lives will be able to get in, and in my experience a lot of those kind of students do it for the prestige for than anything. In actual fact I find that the students who know what it is to actual fail something in their lives are the ones who want to do medicine for more altruistic reasons, and they might be better suited to becoming doctors. It's just sad that they have a lower chance of being considered because they got a lower mark on a exam :frown:
Reply 29
While it is good at any medical school, there's no denying that you're not going to be in the same boat when you graduate. Some universities are better than others -- that's just something you're going to have to accept!
Original post by Jooooshy
While it is good at any medical school, there's no denying that you're not going to be in the same boat when you graduate. Some universities are better than others -- that's just something you're going to have to accept!

This is wrong, for medicine every degree is treated the same. A girl from Cambridge came to my school to talk about medicine and she told us how upset she was that her scores would be treated as the same as everyone else's despite the fact (she says) the Cambridge med exams are harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe that there is an intellectual snobbery inherent in the entire profession, that begins at the applicant stage and continues all the way through. I think if people constantly have a belief that they are "the best" re enforced, then ultimately they will end up believing their own legends.

Not for one moment do I think all doctors are like that, but a significant minority are. When I was working as an auxiliary nurse, I lost count of the number of medical students who looked down their nose at me assuming that I was thick/poor/both.

I am applying to the University that is closest to my home address. It's not the one with the best reputation, and that suits me just fine, as the stellar candidates can apply to Oxbridge and leave me with a little less completion :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by asif007
Maybe that's also what convinces some medical applicants that they must only apply for the top universities,

Original post by tania<3
a lot of those kind of students do it for the prestige for than anything.

I do know the kinds of people you're talking about, don't get me wrong. However, i feel i should point out that Oxford and Cambridge or the London unis don't attract especially many applicants - these hoards of prestige-hunters... simply don't exist. I think its a handful of vocal people you're getting your impressions from.

Original post by BarryIsMyName
This is wrong, for medicine every degree is treated the same. A girl from Cambridge came to my school to talk about medicine and she told us how upset she was that her scores would be treated as the same as everyone else's despite the fact (she says) the Cambridge med exams are harder.

True. There are other measures that do vary though, so tbh his statement is defendable.
Original post by Xarren
I don't study medicine, but comparing the level of my subject - engineering, economics and management - I find that in all areas I have done work both more work in general, and work that is far more challenging. Studying either engineering or E&M at most other universities seems like a piss-take compared to those parts of my course - I am yet to see a course outside the top 5 universities where the workload reaches anything close to what is expected of EEM students here. Whilst I do agree that there are excellent students in universities far and wide, I do not think they are being pushed anywhere near far enough to reach the excellent that is the standard here. One would have to be both extremely intelligent and motivated to succeed in a university that doesn't push him all that much, whilst here intelligence by itself is sufficient, as the motivation comes in the form of daily ass-kicking from tutors.

The OP was about medicine which does not vary a lot at all wherever you go including oxbridge.
Original post by nexttime
I do know the kinds of people you're talking about, don't get me wrong. However, i feel i should point out that Oxford and Cambridge or the London unis don't attract especially many applicants - these hoards of prestige-hunters... simply don't exist. I think its a handful of vocal people you're getting your impressions from.

Tbh, I'd say prestige is a major motivating factor in people applying to Oxbridge. I don't think they look down on others etc, but I think the reputation of those universities is a major attraction for the top-performers in school.
Reply 35
I've applied to both Leeds and Oxford for medicine, (and Nottingham and Sheffield) because I liked the unis!

I've accepted that I will most likely have to reapply, in which case Oxford is one choice out of eight!

And the only reasons I picked Oxford are because the Open Day was great, I like the college system, and I meet the entry requirements :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure, it makes people feel worse when they're unis are looked down upon in relation to Oxford and London ones, but I would argue that there is a reason for it. It's so frustrating how this notion of mediocrity and entitlement has infiltrated every aspect of British society.
Reply 37
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Tbh, I'd say prestige is a major motivating factor in people applying to Oxbridge. I don't think they look down on others etc, but I think the reputation of those universities is a major attraction for the top-performers in school.

I dunno... if you really question people and tease apart pure 'prestige' vs factors that come along with the label like small group teaching, named professors, rich colleges, academic course/students and those that cite MRCP pass rate,i think you'd be left with relatively few. They definitely do exist though yes.
Because a lot of people entering uni to do medicine don't realise how the degree is different?

At the end of the day your undergraduate degree gives you license to go on and work in a hospital as a Foundation Trainee. Believe me when I say there are more jobs out there than trainees. The only question is whether you can stay in the same locale as the university you graduated from or whether you have to look further afield to get a Foundation post.

As for the posts that say you have more focused/motivated colleagues at Oxbridge/better unis, I couldn't think of anything worse as a doctor who has been in the job for 20 years :P. The best doctors are the ones who have empathy and you don't get that being stuck in a room full of medics. You get that by learning about people from various walks of life and different classes in society. My best advice at university would be to go out there and live with non medics. You're going to be in an atmosphere where medicine dictates a large part of your life in the coming years. Enjoy being free of it for as long as you can!
Reply 39
Original post by RosaPonselle

As for the posts that say you have more focused/motivated colleagues at Oxbridge/better unis, I couldn't think of anything worse as a doctor who has been in the job for 20 years :P. The best doctors are the ones who have empathy and you don't get that being stuck in a room full of medics. You get that by learning about people from various walks of life and different classes in society. My best advice at university would be to go out there and live with non medics. You're going to be in an atmosphere where medicine dictates a large part of your life in the coming years. Enjoy being free of it for as long as you can!

Don't wanna be 'that guy', but given the directed comment i feel i should point out that the colleges mean we probably get the most contact with non-medics of the med schools. Certainly more than the schools that end up with separate societies and sports teams for medics (jesus that must be intense btw).

Exposure to different classes is an interesting point that i definitely agree with and probably not something done very well by any med school. Having patients from Hackney and Peckham as opposed to Oxford and Summertown probably does some good though, i must admit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending