Liverpool Top Goalscorer (3): 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09
UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament (1): 2012
UEFA Team of the Year (3): 2005, 2006, 2007
FIFA/FIFPro World XI (3): 2007, 2008, 2009
ESM Team of the Year (1): 2008–09
Goal of the Season (1): 2006
UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match (1): 2005
FA Cup Final Man of the Match (1): 2006
Premier League Player of the Month Award (5): March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009
Member of the Order of the British Empire: 2007
Honorary Fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University: 2008
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award 3rd Place: 2005
IFFHS World's Most Popular Footballer: 2006

Paul Scholes

Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year (1): 1992–93
Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
PFA Team of the Year (2): 2002–03, 2006–07
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02): Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
English Football Hall of Fame Inductee: 2008

Gerrard ****s all over Scholes.

Scholes has never won Player of the Year and has only been in the Team of the Year twice :lol: - Gerrard has been in it seven times.

Scholes is way overrated.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Scholes, he was the best English player of his generation. He does not need the accolades, he was Man Utd's best player bar Ronaldo (Fergie's words). With him they dominated the league and were very consistent in Europe. Why did Utd score so many late goals? Scholes. United's players words, not mine. You don't need awards when you are Paul Scholes:

(edited 10 years ago)
Gerrard. I dont ever remember a time when Scholes was considered to be in the Top 10 in the world, Gerrard has.
Reply 3
If you wish to bring stats, Lampard ****s on gerrad at every stat including international level.
Original post by Pistol 33
If you wish to bring stats, Lampard ****s on gerrad at every stat including international level.

Read the thread title, Lampard isnt in it.
Reply 5
Great. This debate again.
This is clearly going to get bias on whether you support Liverpool or Manchester United, imo, :rolleyes:
Reply 7
They don't even play in the same position. Obvs an attacking player will have more personal awards than a player who is further back, attackers win all the awards.

Do you even football?
Reply 8
Original post by Mr_Vain
Scholes, he was the best English player of his generation. He does not need the accolades, he was Man Utd's best player bar Ronaldo (Fergie's words).

So he was the best player in the best team yet he never won Player of the Year?

Seems legit.
Reply 9
Original post by CB91
Gerrard. I dont ever remember a time when Scholes was considered to be in the Top 10 in the world, Gerrard has.

This .

A lot of revisionism has occurred with Paul Scholes.

He was never rated that highly even at his peak but because of the recent success of the Barcelona/Spain tiki-taka style of play, he has suddenly come to be regarded as some kind of footballing genius.
Reply 10
Original post by xDave-
They don't even play in the same position. Obvs an attacking player will have more personal awards than a player who is further back, attackers win all the awards.

Do you even football?

Do I even football?

They both played central midfield so it's a fair comparison.

It's not like we're comparing a centre forward to a central defender.
It's a very good debate and personally I lean towards Scholes in terms of ability, however what I would say is that Gerrard has a greater ability to galvanise a team and bring other players levels up a notch... or at least did.

Just look at the quotes from the likes of Zidane and Xavi on Scholes and see how even up to a year or two ago he could keep the ball brilliantly, pick out outstanding passes and contribute goals. Gerrard is a fantastic player no doubt, but Scholes edges it for me.
Gerrard just by a bit. He had that ability to turn tides in a game and single handedly bring his team back.
Reply 13
Original post by xDave-

Do you even football?

I'm pretty sure Scholes played a lot further forward in midfield during his best years, of the striker occasionally as well. So that points pretty redundant.

I have responded in enough arguments on this site about these two. I prefer Gerrard and rate him higher, but Scholes is the only English player that I could accept arguments for as being better then Gerrard in the last decade and more. Could make an argument for both.

inb4 some Manc comes in showing us all the quotes about Scholes :lol:
Gerrard for me. Scholes is painfully overrated.

Jack Wilshere will bury them both though :colonhash:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by TRS-T
Do I even football?

They both played central midfield so it's a fair comparison.

It's not like we're comparing a centre forward to a central defender.

Evidently, you don't. If you think CM is just on single position, then you have a lot to learn. Even ignoring DM and AM, there are very different types of CM, and Gerrard and Scholes are not the same type.

Original post by Deshi
I'm pretty sure Scholes played a lot further forward in midfield during his best years, of the striker occasionally as well. So that points pretty redundant.

I have responded in enough arguments on this site about these two. I prefer Gerrard and rate him higher, but Scholes is the only English player that I could accept arguments for as being better then Gerrard in the last decade and more. Could make an argument for both.

inb4 some Manc comes in showing us all the quotes about Scholes :lol:

Scholes was certainly not at his best when he was playing further forward, not at all. If that's what you think, then you don't know enough about Scholes to actually compare him to another player. But, if you want to say Gerrard is better than him in that position, then go ahead, he is. But Scholes got a lot better when he went further back on the pitch. He could control the tempo of the game from there, which isn't something he could do as an AM. That was his main position.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by xDave-
Evidently, you don't. If you think CM is just on single position, then you have a lot to learn. Even ignoring DM and AM, there are very different types of CM, and Gerrard and Scholes are not the same type.

Scholes was certainly not at his best when he was playing further forward, not at all. If that's what you think, then you don't know enough about Scholes to actually compare him to another player. But, if you want to say Gerrard is better than him in that position, then go ahead, he is. But Scholes got a lot better when he went further back on the pitch. He could control the tempo of the game from there, which isn't something he could do as an AM. That was his main position.

****'s funny because whenever this is discussed you always get the older United's fans saying that I didn't watch Scholes week in week out in his prime. So when do you think he was at his best? iirc he played off RvN quite often as well, which was what, '04?
Let's face it. As an English player, the bread and butter of football is the premier league and this I would say should be the main focus of footballers (yes even above the CL which Scholes also has more of). Scholes has more, simple.

Also hardly fair seeing as you missed half of the trophies he won if you want to add them all
FA Cup (3): 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
Football League Cup (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
FA Community Shield (5): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2010
UEFA Champions League (2):1998–99, 2007–08
Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008)
Reply 18
Original post by Deshi
****'s funny because whenever this is discussed you always get the older United's fans saying that I didn't watch Scholes week in week out in his prime. So when do you think he was at his best? iirc he played off RvN quite often as well, which was what, '04?

He produced his best scoring statistics back in the early 00s, yes. But well, obviously, he was playing further forward. He didn't have anywhere near the impact on games playing further forward that he had from deep in midfield, though. Once he began sitting back there, that was when he was at his best for me.

Original post by Guru Jason
Let's face it. As an English player, the bread and butter of football is the premier league and this I would say should be the main focus of footballers (yes even above the CL which Scholes also has more of). Scholes has more, simple.

Also hardly fair seeing as you missed half of the trophies he won if you want to add them all
FA Cup (3): 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
Football League Cup (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
FA Community Shield (5): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2010
UEFA Champions League (2):1998–99, 2007–08
Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008)

Fernando Torres has more world cups than Messi and Ronaldo. Comparing awards, team or individual, is not a good way of comparing players. They all require you to have a good team around you; Messi wouldn't have all his Ballon d'Ors if he was playing for Valladolid. Obviously, league football is different to internationals; the good players can move to good teams. But I still don't like it as a means of comparison. Gerrard could've won everything, easily, but he chose loyalty over that, and still won an okay amount.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by xDave-

Fernando Torres has more world cups than Messi and Ronaldo. Comparing awards, team or individual, is not a good way of comparing players. They all require you to have a good team around you; Messi wouldn't have all his Ballon d'Ors if he was playing for Valladolid. Obviously, league football is different to internationals; the good players can move to good teams. But I still don't like it as a means of comparison. Gerrard could've won everything, easily, but he chose loyalty over that, and still won an okay amount.

I see what your saying but Gerrard was ready to leave Liverpool for more money but due to threats he received from fans he stayed. That's mercenary if you ask me. Also, league titles require consistency. Nobody wins that amount of titles if you don't deserve it.

Quick Reply

Latest