The Student Room Group

Need some help choosing A levels

Hi
I am 95% sure I want to do the following A levels:

- Maths
- Physics
- French

However I am not sure what to take for the 4th (I am not sure which I will drop after AS so this could be for A2 or AS.)

I am deciding between Business Studies and Geography

Does anyone have any advice about those subjects ?

I am also considering (as my school does not offer Economics) to self study it for AS (on top of the 4 others that I will do normally). Has anyone here done that, got any advice?

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
depends what you want to do at uni
Reply 2
business! im in a2 now and As business is really easy, as long as you understand it youl get a straight A! pretty simple. for unit 1, i literally read the markschemes and got an A!
Reply 3
I'd definitely say geography out of the 2 you suggested! It's a facilitating subject, and anyways, business is often considered soft... I think by doing geography you will be a stronger candidate :smile:
Also, unless you *really* want to do econ, I wouldn't recommend self studying when you have the option to do a subject with actual teachers and lessons haha!
Reply 4
Original post by c_k62
I'd definitely say geography out of the 2 you suggested! It's a facilitating subject, and anyways, business is often considered soft... I think by doing geography you will be a stronger candidate :smile:
Also, unless you *really* want to do econ, I wouldn't recommend self studying when you have the option to do a subject with actual teachers and lessons haha!

Do you think doing 4 facilitating subjects would be hard to do, though?
Reply 5
Original post by Patrick2810
Do you think doing 4 facilitating subjects would be hard to do, though?

Definitely not! :smile: I guess some are inevitably harder than others but that is subjective to the person, but honestly, the workload for facilitating and non-facilitating subjects would be similar so it would generally feel about the same difficulty, and doing geography rather than business would look a lot better on a personal statement, and open more doors for you, trust me! Try not to worry about the difficulty, I was so worried about A-Levels being such a huge jump and completely flopping but I found we were nicely eased into each subject (this could be just me though!). Also though, consider how strong you are at geography and how much you enjoy it :smile: did you/do you do business gcse? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by c_k62
Definitely not! :smile: I guess some are inevitably harder than others but that is subjective to the person, but honestly, the workload for facilitating and non-facilitating subjects would be similar so it would generally feel about the same difficulty, and doing geography rather than business would look a lot better on a personal statement, and open more doors for you, trust me! Try not to worry about the difficulty, I was so worried about A-Levels being such a huge jump and completely flopping but I found we were nicely eased into each subject (this could be just me though!). Also though, consider how strong you are at geography and how much you enjoy it :smile: did you/do you do business gcse? :smile:

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to a PS, do you mean 4 facilitating would be something to mention, or is it the fact that I wouldn't mention business studies (does that look bad?)

Yes I am doing both Geography and Business at GCSE and am targeted A for both.

Out of interest, what A levels did you do and how have you found them?

Thanks for the help.
Reply 7
Thanks for the reply.

In regards to a PS, do you mean 4 facilitating would be something to mention, or is it the fact that I wouldn't mention business studies (does that look bad?)

Yes I am doing both Geography and Business at GCSE and am targeted A for both.

Out of interest, what A levels did you do and how have you found them?

Thanks for the help.

Glad to help! You wouldn't have to mention the fact you're doing 4 facilitating subjects, they'll know, and geography in comparison to business will look better :smile: not that business necessarily looks bad, just geography will look better and will make you a stronger candidate... if you get what I mean. Ah ok, at least you'll know about the subjects rather than going off business 'sounding good' or what a few people I know did :rolleyes: but I do history, physics, maths and further maths and found none had a huge jump or heavy start. The first few weeks of maths, possibly even month or two, is top end GCSE revision, physics is all new content and there's a lot of it if I'm honest, but I kept on top of it by making notes daily/weekly and found it very manageable. History remains VERY similar to GCSE with just a few new essay skills being introduced, however I found I struggled with the workload for that as there was a clash in my timetable and only had 3 hours of history per week as opposed to 5 like everyone else. There's a lot of extra reading involved but as long as you knew how to answer the questions, everything was ok. I guess you could say facilitating subjects are 'harder' than other subjects - I would definitely say the workload's bigger - however that might be why unis like them more? I'm sure you've probably already mentioned above, but what is it you want to do at uni/for a career? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by c_k62
Glad to help! You wouldn't have to mention the fact you're doing 4 facilitating subjects, they'll know, and geography in comparison to business will look better :smile: not that business necessarily looks bad, just geography will look better and will make you a stronger candidate... if you get what I mean. Ah ok, at least you'll know about the subjects rather than going off business 'sounding good' or what a few people I know did :rolleyes: but I do history, physics, maths and further maths and found none had a huge jump or heavy start. The first few weeks of maths, possibly even month or two, is top end GCSE revision, physics is all new content and there's a lot of it if I'm honest, but I kept on top of it by making notes daily/weekly and found it very manageable. History remains VERY similar to GCSE with just a few new essay skills being introduced, however I found I struggled with the workload for that as there was a clash in my timetable and only had 3 hours of history per week as opposed to 5 like everyone else. There's a lot of extra reading involved but as long as you knew how to answer the questions, everything was ok. I guess you could say facilitating subjects are 'harder' than other subjects - I would definitely say the workload's bigger - however that might be why unis like them more? I'm sure you've probably already mentioned above, but what is it you want to do at uni/for a career? :smile:

Well I have an interest in Physics (one of the main reasons for choosing Maths) so I might follow that up but I don't know what I specifically want to do. I want to see what I think of A-Level physics. I might do something to do with Economics but I'm not sure.
Reply 9
Geography is much more respected than business studies but this might be different seeing as your school doesn't offer economics. Economics AS is basically learning the textbook, literally. But I wouldn't bother - 5 AS levels offers little advantage when applying to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi
I am 95% sure I want to do the following A levels:

- Maths
- Physics
- French

However I am not sure what to take for the 4th (I am not sure which I will drop after AS so this could be for A2 or AS.)

I am deciding between Business Studies and Geography

Does anyone have any advice about those subjects ?

I am also considering (as my school does not offer Economics) to self study it for AS (on top of the 4 others that I will do normally). Has anyone here done that, got any advice?

Thanks for reading.

Before choosing, you really have to start doing some researches on the unis that you want to go to, what specific subjects they require, what grades etc. So, let's say you're aiming towards the humanities side of the uni course, then I suggest business studies instead of geo. And are you sure you wanna do 5 subjects on a levels pal? A levels is quite tough, especially if you're studying it by yourself. I take Economics for AS and you definitely need a guide to explain the things that text books can't otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest