The Student Room Group

UCAS Application help - Reference

My half-term holidays are starting this Monday and my referee would be going on holiday, so he told me to pay and send my application yesterday to not further delay it.

I then finished my application and finished paying, so that he could do my reference before going on holiday. I asked him before leaving school whether he had written my reference, and he had said "Yes, it's gone".

But I signed in onto my UCAS today, and it still says:

Your application has been sent to your school or college. They will check and approve your application, write and approve their reference, and send the completed application to us. We will then process the application and send you a welcome letter and a booklet in the post; they will explain what happens next. The current status of your application is:

Your application has not yet been approved by your referee/coordinator.
17-09-2013 (10:55) Your reference is in progress.

What does this mean? He told me he had sent it, so why does it still say that he hasn't approved it and that my reference is in progress? I have no way to contact my referee until school starts again, so what should I do? I don't understand, please help!
Reply 1
Original post by sara496
My half-term holidays are starting this Monday and my referee would be going on holiday, so he told me to pay and send my application yesterday to not further delay it.

I then finished my application and finished paying, so that he could do my reference before going on holiday. I asked him before leaving school whether he had written my reference, and he had said "Yes, it's gone".

But I signed in onto my UCAS today, and it still says:

What does this mean? He told me he had sent it, so why does it still say that he hasn't approved it and that my reference is in progress? I have no way to contact my referee until school starts again, so what should I do? I don't understand, please help!

How long ago was your conversation with him since you checked UCAS? You'll know for sure if it has been sent if you get an acknowledgement email from UCAS.
Reply 2
He lied.
Reply 3
Original post by cathrg26
How long ago was your conversation with him since you checked UCAS? You'll know for sure if it has been sent if you get an acknowledgement email from UCAS.

I asked him yesterday at 3.30 PM, and I checked UCAS now at 3.17PM .. been almost a day
Reply 4
Original post by sara496
I asked him yesterday at 3.30 PM, and I checked UCAS now at 3.17PM .. been almost a day

:/ oh. I'm sorry, that sucks. I hate unreliable teachers. You've still got lots of time though. Lots of universities begin the full works in November
Reply 5
:/ oh. I'm sorry, that sucks. I hate unreliable teachers. You've still got lots of time though. Lots of universities begin the full works in November

Me too. But that surely means he hasn't done it right? As in, UCAS is meant to update instantly as soon as he did it yeah?
Reply 6
Original post by sara496
Me too. But that surely means he hasn't done it right? As in, UCAS is meant to update instantly as soon as he did it yeah?

Yes, UCAS is supposed to be instant, and they would warn you if they were temporarily shutting down. I got my UCAS email a few hours after having my reference reading. It seems that he has either not done it properly or not done it all.
What normally happens is that your teacher writes and adds the reference. Someone else in the school or college (co-ordinator) then checks all of the details and sends to UCAS. If the teacher said he had done the reference then he probably did and it will still be in the school system. Although teachers are off for half term, the support staff and managers are normally still at work so it will probably get done sometime next week. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.
Reply 8
Yes, UCAS is supposed to be instant, and they would warn you if they were temporarily shutting down. I got my UCAS email a few hours after having my reference reading. It seems that he has either not done it properly or not done it all.

I wish I could somehow contact him.. But I won't be able to until school starts again, which won't be until 10 days later :/ Which unis did you apply to and what courses?
Reply 9
He is a liar. Contact him to sort this out.
Reply 10
Original post by sara496
I wish I could somehow contact him.. But I won't be able to until school starts again, which won't be until 10 days later :/ Which unis did you apply to and what courses?

I applied on the 15th Oct for Bsc Economics at York, Birmingham and Kent. I have offers from Surrey and UEA. What are you going in for?
Reply 11
Original post by Ben Kenobi
He is a liar. Contact him to sort this out.

I can't. I don't have his contact number, e-mail or anything at all. I tried calling my school but no one picked the phone, it's closed for half-term holidays.
Reply 12
I applied on the 15th Oct for Bsc Economics at York, Birmingham and Kent. I have offers from Surrey and UEA. What are you going in for?

Business Management/Administration at Warwick, Loughborough, Kent, Oxford Brookes and Sussex. What were your AS Grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending