The Student Room Group

Will my bad gcse grades lower my chances of getting into a good university?

Hello,
I am currently taking my A-levels which are History, English Literature, Geography, Sociology and Arabic. I hope to get at least all A grades in these to make up for my bad gcse grades. Due to some circumstance I only managed to get about 5 passes in my gcses, as follows:
English Literature B
English Language-B
Maths F ( I will be retaking in November and hope to get a B)
Religious Studies C
Core Science D
Applied Science C
Geography C
History E (I will be retaking this in June 2014 and will be aiming for a B)
Spanish E
Music D
Will my gcse’s affect my chances of getting into a Russell group university? I hope to do International relations and politics. I know my potential and I have the ability to do well in my A-Levels. Also are there any revision tips which could strengthen my learning and my independent study. I would highly appreciate it. Thank you
Original post by Mia__
Hello,
I am currently taking my A-levels which are History, English Literature, Geography, Sociology and Arabic. I hope to get at least all A grades in these to make up for my bad gcse grades. Due to some circumstance I only managed to get about 5 passes in my gcses, as follows:
English Literature B
English Language-B
Maths F ( I will be retaking in November and hope to get a B)
Religious Studies C
Core Science D
Applied Science C
Geography C
History E (I will be retaking this in June 2014 and will be aiming for a B)
Spanish E
Music D
Will my gcse’s affect my chances of getting into a Russell group university? I hope to do International relations and politics. I know my potential and I have the ability to do well in my A-Levels. Also are there any revision tips which could strengthen my learning and my independent study. I would highly appreciate it. Thank you

Bad GCSE's shouldn't affect your chances too much as long as you study hard and get good AS scores and good A2 predictions; having bad GCSE's may even work in your favour if you can show improvement and development. As to revision tips, I would say the most important thing is to keep up to date, and every so often review your notes so that it'll 'stick' more in your memory and you won't be cramming as much before exams.
Original post by Mia__
Hello,I am currently taking my A-levels which are History, English Literature, Geography, Sociology and Arabic. I hope to get at least all A grades in these to make up for my bad gcse grades. Due to some circumstance I only managed to get about 5 passes in my gcses, as follows:colone:nglish Literature BEnglish Language-BMaths F ( I will be retaking in November and hope to get a B)Religious Studies CCore Science DApplied Science CGeography CHistory E (I will be retaking this in June 2014 and will be aiming for a B)Spanish EMusic DWill my gcse’s affect my chances of getting into a Russell group university? I hope to do International relations and politics. I know my potential and I have the ability to do well in my A-Levels. Also are there any revision tips which could strengthen my learning and my independent study. I would highly appreciate it. Thank you
It won't affect your chances as long as you do well in the A levels. For the A levels, drop the subjects that you're not interested in and focus on those that will help you in university. Hope this helps! ^^
I'm in the same prediciment as you, All my GCSE's were B's and my AS I got AAB. I feel reluctant to apply for the higher universities as I feel I'd be frowned upon.
Reply 4
It seems like you had a lot on your plate at GCSE, aswell as now at A-Level. Most universities only require 3 full a-levels, maybe you should only continue the 2 you enjoy least to AS level so that you can focus on getting good grades on the other 3 at A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending