The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by _Katie
If you were capable of doing so, would you/should you become a doctor?
Is it right to think that other courses e.g. History or Law are almost a waste of an academic mind that could be put to use saving people's lives?
(I don't mean for this to be too controversial, just curious)
Thankyou.

Waste of time? so nobody is a lawyer/barrister etc? so how will the criminal justice system work then?

&No I wouldn't be a doctor who is a GP, but I would be a Surgeon, or Psychiatrist.
Original post by _Katie
What in particular do you like about it?

The fact that you have the ability to save a life and as a consequence the lives of those who are close to a patient. Death, though inevitable, is not only painful to loved ones but to also to patients, in a significant amount of them. Being able to use your expertise to save someone mother, father, partner, family member is what appeals me about the profession.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Yeah, I understand that. That's why I'm beginning to wish I'd gone down the Medicine route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by _Katie
If you were capable of doing so, would you/should you become a doctor?
Is it right to think that other courses e.g. History or Law are almost a waste of an academic mind that could be put to use saving people's lives?
(I don't mean for this to be too controversial, just curious)
Thankyou.

If I was capable of becoming a doctor, I'd definitely be ONE! I am a humanitarian and I enjoy helping others in a bid to make their lives better, and what better job can do that other than being a doctor right? Being a doctor is self rewarding, to know that you have made someone else's life better :smile: But, alas, I am not academically intelligent enough to be one, plus medical school is really over the top when it comes to pricing! So i'll just go with humanities instead, hopefully I can find a way to help others even If I'm not a doctor :rolleyes:
Reply 64
Original post by _Katie
Yeah, I understand that. That's why I'm beginning to wish I'd gone down the Medicine route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some intelligent people who can br doctors are too lazy like me :biggrin: (I mean I am lazy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
A few people seem to say they want to be a doctor but for some reason they can't? I always thought I couldn't, either, but I'm giving it a shot for graduate entry (who knows whether I'll get in, might be that I still can't!). Either way, really consider your options, a lot can be overcome. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGuy117
I believe on an academic level I already fit the standards an aspiring doctor must have...so by answering yes to the question "If you were capable of doing so, would you/should you become a doctor?" I would gain no extra intelligence.

Is biology my favorite subject? Not even close.

Does a job being "prestigious" having any weighting on if I would like to do it? No.

Do I like the idea of being a doctor on a day to day basis? No.

Is the pay of a doctor higher than what I am trying to become? (actuary) No.

Would I feel like I am doing more "good" in the world/doing something of social value if I became a doctor rather than an actuary? Probably.

So nope, besides the feeling of "helping people" there are no other elements of being a doctor which I see as appealing.

I think the fact that you mentioned you want to be an actuary shows you could never be a doctor.
I'm applying for medicine and I don't think we should make *all* of the best become doctors. For society to function, we need a wide breadth of talent; right the way from the working class doing manual labour work up to the top brass military genius who takes care of our troops abroad.

I love the whole concept of medicine. It's science, first and foremost. Then, we apply that science to the wonder and intricacy which is the human body. It's the most complex living organism we as a species has ever observed. Kind of arrogant but it's the truth!
Original post by Pennyarcade
I think the fact that you mentioned you want to be an actuary shows you could never be a doctor.

I can't really see what you're saying. Elaborate please?
Can't really see what you're saying. Elaborate please?

Well if you want to be an actuary and mentioned their salary then im guessing you're motivated by the money.
Original post by Pennyarcade
Well if you want to be an actuary and mentioned their salary then im guessing you're motivated by the money.

See that doesn't make any sense as doctors are paid very well...and if it was money that I was motivated by, I would be trying to become a banker or something surely?

From what I understand actuaries work good, sociable hours while still being paid very well. You use lots of maths which I enjoy and I'd say I'm pretty good at. Working with or around a close knit group of people you see on a day to day basis sounds better to me than being thrown around different areas (early on in a doctor's career) and having to talk to sick annoyed strangers all day if you don't want the stress of working in a hospital (by becoming a GP). I guess some people would call being an actuary boring, I dunno...sounds like a good gig to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
See that doesn't make any sense as doctors are paid very well...and if it was money that I was motivated by, I would be trying to become a banker or something surely?

From what I understand actuaries work good, social-able hours while still being paid very well. You use lots of maths which I enjoy and I'd say I'm pretty good at. Working with or around a close knit group of people you see on a day to day basis sounds better to me than being thrown around different areas (early on in a doctor's career) and having to talk to sick annoyed strangers all day if you don't want the stress of working in a hospital (by becoming a GP). I guess some people would call being an actuary boring, I dunno...sounds like a good gig to me.

I dunno, actuary jobs sounds like one of those 'sell your soul to a corporation' gigs because of the 55 hour weeks of making money for the man.
Original post by Democracy
Paul McCartney's mother wanted him to become a doctor - whilst I'm sure that Macca would have done a lot of good as a doctor, I think the world is infinitely better off because he did what he WANTED to do and formed the Beatles and made all that amazingly wonderful music instead.

You should follow your passion in life...if medicine is your passion then you should absolutely do it, but being a doctor is not the pinnacle of all achievements - if being a great historian or a lawyer is what makes you happy, then that's what you should do.

(I say this as a medical student myself).

well said :yy:
Original post by star10159
'Being academically capable does not make you a good doctor.
There is this myth on TSR that if someone gets good grades they should go to medicine/Oxbridge or else they are wasting their ability.

Unfortunately people also don't realise that medicine isn't all about saving lives as well. There's a lot of paperwork, looking after people with chronic illnesses, bureaucracy etc... and very little "life saving".

This.
Original post by _Katie

Posted from TSR Mobile

just wondering..which route did you go down?
Nope. Never wanted to be a doctor, always wanted to be a pharmacist. If everyone was a doctor it would be like the only food in the world was apples or something. You need them but you need lots of other things as well. We need teachers and social workers and psychiatrists and architects and engineers and cleaners and dustbin collectors and shop managers too, not just doctors. We need people who know about history to put things in perspective for us, I do pharmacy and we learn about the history of the NHS and the history of drug discovery, we need to know that stuff. And we definitely need writers and actors and artists and musicians, otherwise the whole of humanity would do a lemming and collectively jump off a cliff. Everyone would go insane without fun stuff.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by _Katie
In a way, I feel like Medicine is almost the most important field we have. It's a fundamental field - e.g. if were were to dispense with economists or lawyers the world would not crumble, perhaps regress a few decades, but everyone would still be very much alive. The same can't be said for doctors, they're indispensable, we depend on them a lot more than other professions.

We need nurses and pharmacists too :colonhash:
Reply 77
Original post by _Katie
In a way, I feel like Medicine is almost the most important field we have. It's a fundamental field - e.g. if were were to dispense with economists or lawyers the world would not crumble, perhaps regress a few decades, but everyone would still be very much alive. The same can't be said for doctors, they're indispensable, we depend on them a lot more than other professions.

I go to barbers more than I go to the doctors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't think that law can save people's lives, then you're not thinking very hard.

No, I wouldn't go into medicine. Sure, the high wages and social status are lovely, but ultimately a life spent prodding other people's bodies isn't something that attracts me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Doesn't interest me at all. Not my thing, even though its a very respectful job and can do so many things. I'd much rather do the subjects you call a 'waste of time'.

Latest

Trending

Trending