The Student Room Group

Cambridge Application- Written Work

Hello, I'm a Cambridge applicant (Pembroke College, English Literature) from the US and I've been asked to submit two pieces of written work. I emailed them back asking if there was a length limit/requirement for these essays, and they haven't got back to me yet. Does anyone know if there is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would also be really interested in this! Also- how do you get the work to the college? I read somewhere it has to go through your school....? :colondollar:
Reply 2
Have you been invited to interview yet, Jordan?
Reply 3
Original post by Jordanagoodson
Hello, I'm a Cambridge applicant (Pembroke College, English Literature) from the US and I've been asked to submit two pieces of written work. I emailed them back asking if there was a length limit/requirement for these essays, and they haven't got back to me yet. Does anyone know if there is?

I can't advise on the written work since I didn't have to submit any, but as an alumnus I can say you've chosen a great college! :wink:

They're probably a little busy at the moment with filtering applications and handling queries, so I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing from them. When's the deadline, and when did you email them? :smile:
Original post by Tortious
I can't advise on the written work since I didn't have to submit any, but as an alumnus I can say you've chosen a great college! :wink:

They're probably a little busy at the moment with filtering applications and handling queries, so I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing from them. When's the deadline, and when did you email them? :smile:

The deadline is November 15, and I emailed them three days ago.
Reply 5
The deadline is November 15, and I emailed them three days ago.

Ah, that's not too long by Cambridge standards, especially since they don't work weekends. I'd wait until the end of next week before you start chasing it! :smile:
Original post by Tortious
Ah, that's not too long by Cambridge standards, especially since they don't work weekends. I'd wait until the end of next week before you start chasing it! :smile:

Okay, I will. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by FScott
Have you been invited to interview yet, Jordan?

Yes, I have.
Original post by frances007
I would also be really interested in this! Also- how do you get the work to the college? I read somewhere it has to go through your school....? :colondollar:

I just have to mail it to them with a cover sheet attached that has been filled out by my teacher. :smile:
Reply 9
Yes, I have.

wait...I thought you had to send in written work before you get called for interview? :colondollar:
Original post by frances007
wait...I thought you had to send in written work before you get called for interview? :colondollar:

i thought that too. I'm a bit confused.
Reply 11
They'll have requested the written work for everyone - they'll have let you know that you have been called for interview earlier as you are an international applicant.

As has already been mentioned, the admissions staff will be incredibly busy at the moment with all the various paperwork and forms coming in from applicants. Wait a couple of days, and then email or phone them. I don't think there is a specific word limit, or they would have specified already, but expect something in the region of 2,000 words (although obviously check with them rather than taking my word for it!)
Reply 12
This is slightly different but I'd like people's opinion on it, regarding written work

I'm applying for history at Jesus and it asks for two essays of what you consider to be your best work, even if this may not necessarily be a history essay

Does anyone know if submitting an essay in a different subject (like English literature) could be a hindrance to an application? Opinions on this would be very helpful!
Reply 13
Original post by becsylew
This is slightly different but I'd like people's opinion on it, regarding written work

I'm applying for history at Jesus and it asks for two essays of what you consider to be your best work, even if this may not necessarily be a history essay

Does anyone know if submitting an essay in a different subject (like English literature) could be a hindrance to an application? Opinions on this would be very helpful!

You have a possibility to submit a so called take-home exam, so I would perhaps consider this option and arrange with the teacher to mark your essay before sending it to the admissions office.

I'm also applying to Jesus, good luck! :smile:
I received an email from Pembroke, and they stated that while there is no length requirement/limit, they should probably be no more that 2000 words. Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply 15
Original post by katemaria
You have a possibility to submit a so called take-home exam, so I would perhaps consider this option and arrange with the teacher to mark your essay before sending it to the admissions office.

I'm also applying to Jesus, good luck! :smile:

This is a very late reply I am sorry, but thanks for your help!
Ooh what subject have you applied for? Have you been called to interview?
Reply 16
Original post by becsylew
This is a very late reply I am sorry, but thanks for your help!
Ooh what subject have you applied for? Have you been called to interview?

No problem, I hope everything worked out well for you :smile:
I'm a PBS applicant, yet I haven't heard a single thing so far! My written work arrived only on Friday, so I hope that's why they're taking so long... Any news from your side?
Reply 17
Original post by katemaria
No problem, I hope everything worked out well for you :smile:
I'm a PBS applicant, yet I haven't heard a single thing so far! My written work arrived only on Friday, so I hope that's why they're taking so long... Any news from your side?

And the same for you! I've applied for history and have got my interview on the 12th December
That might be the reason - I got my interview notification a few days after my written work arrived at the college
Can you submit AS level work for the written work or must it be A2 work? Thanks
Reply 19
1500 - 2000 words long - "though a little either side will not be a problem" (To quote an admissions tutor at Churchill College)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending