The Student Room Group

Why did you choose the A-levels you did?

Assuming they don't amount to the same thing, would you choose the A-levels you enjoyed the most and were marginally better at, or those that would lead to a career you might like more? (All being respected, academic subjects regardless).
Thankyou.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The ones I got A*s in/was interested in/enjoyed. A levels will have little effect on your future career for the most part, except for medicine of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ross95
The ones I got A*s in/was interested in/enjoyed. A levels will have little effect on your future career for the most part, except for medicine of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If those criteria were fulfilled by more than 4 subjects?
Reply 3
Well I chose in my first year math, further math, accounting, computing and physics...

I really like math and I'm good at it so that's the first too... I was also pretty certain on becoming an accountant so I took it to make sure...

Computing and physics seemed like something I'd enjoy, however I was completely wrong... I wish I hadn't taken these in the first place... I ended up suffering in the other subjects because I had too much to do primarily with computing...

I took economics as an AS in the following year and loved it and coincidentally did really well... And I was able to get my other grades back up a little bit with some resits
Reply 4
Original post by CUfan
Well I chose in my first year math, further math, accounting, computing and physics...

I really like math and I'm good at it so that's the first too... I was also pretty certain on becoming an accountant so I took it to make sure...

Computing and physics seemed like something I'd enjoy, however I was completely wrong... I wish I hadn't taken these in the first place... I ended up suffering in the other subjects because I had too much to do primarily with computing...

I took economics as an AS in the following year and loved it and coincidentally did really well... And I was able to get my other grades back up a little bit with some resits

What I was referring to was: would you prioritise taking the A-levels needed for the career you think you might want, or those that you enjoyed more and were slightly better at, if those weren't the same things?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
because they were the only ones I had the requirements for :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by _Katie
What I was referring to was: would you prioritise taking the A-levels needed for the career you think you might want, or those that you enjoyed more and were slightly better at, if those weren't the same things?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in that case... I would look at what you want to do and where... For example if you want to study medicine at a certain uni they may have requirements for your A levels... If not just do whatever will get the best results in which for me is what I like doing, but that's just me...
Reply 7
Original post by _Katie
If those criteria were fulfilled by more than 4 subjects?

They weren't really for me sorry :tongue: In all honesty I'd just make sure I chose 4 respected subjects other than that it doesn't matter too much as long as you do well.

It's very likely that you'll do better in subjects you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Choose the subjects I enjoyed most at GCSE.
Reply 9
I was going through a transition from BTECs to more academic subjects, I wanted to pick the 3 most academic a-levels I could do with my poor GCSEs, these were Maths, Economics and History. I enjoyed all 3 of them quite a lot but I took a special affinity towards maths and decided to self-teach further maths, and now I'm applying for Maths. I enjoyed it the most at GCSE whilst the other two were basically to challenge myself academically
Reply 10
I chose my a-levels from a mixture of: what I got best in at GCSE, parental pressure and what I enjoy.

I chose English Literature because I have always enjoyed it, and it helps that I've always been good at it.

I chose Biology because I got a good grade in it at GCSE.

Chemistry because my mum wanted me to.

Geography because I love it and I got good grades in it.

In my A2 exams I got AAB and then an E in Chemistry- proving that you should do subjects you enjoy doing, otherwise you won't completely get along with them. I now am doing 3 A2's and an AS in World Development and I've applied to do Geography and IR at University!
Reply 11
Original post by Robbie242
I was going through a transition from BTECs to more academic subjects, I wanted to pick the 3 most academic a-levels I could do with my poor GCSEs, these were Maths, Economics and History. I enjoyed all 3 of them quite a lot but I took a special affinity towards maths and decided to self-teach further maths, and now I'm applying for Maths. I enjoyed it the most at GCSE whilst the other two were basically to challenge myself academically

Quite the life story. Respect. And g'luck with STEP and/or future endeavours.
You're applying to Cam' for Maths, right?
Reply 12
I chose the subjects I enjoyed most. The AS I dropped I chose because there was nothing else to choose that I liked
Reply 13
Math, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry because they are pretty standard A-levels for an Engineering/Physics higher education and careers. I had my heart set on a physics/maths related career for years. So they were rather apt.
Product Design as a fifth AS because I enjoyed GCSE DT a lot, and it's quite relevant to engineering as a whole.
I chose subjects that I'd find interesting, and enjoy to pretty much guarantee my success.
Reply 15
Original post by Tuya
Quite the life story. Respect. And g'luck with STEP and/or future endeavours.
You're applying to Cam' for Maths, right?

Thanks bro best of luck with any tests/interviews and future endeavours as well :smile:
Yup I'm applying for Maths :smile:, I recall you're applying for Engineering or something along those lines at Camb or Oxford?
ICT - I got an A* in it at GCSE and found it fairly easy
Government and Politics - interest in current affairs
History - Mixture or interest/regret not taking it at GCSE/I'm good at essays
Economics - Links to Politics/it can get me to the career I want

Posted from TSR Mobile
both English language and RE I picked because I enjoyed them at GCSE. Sociology I picked when a mate of mine was gonna pick it but then thought it was too hard for her. So I took a chance and decided to keep it on for A-Level. The best decision ever because it is an amazing subject and now because of the Crime and Deviance topic, I've picked to study Law with Criminology at Uni. Amazing :smile:
Reply 18
I picked to do Media Studies and English Combined (Lit and Lang together) because I enjoyed them at GCSE. I then chose to do Government and Politics because I've always been interested in it. And then I chose Photography, partly because I wanted an arty subject and I had chickened out of taking Performance Studies.

It's a pretty mixed bag, but they have kept my options open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Robbie242
Thanks bro best of luck with any tests/interviews and future endeavours as well :smile:
Yup I'm applying for Maths :smile:, I recall you're applying for Engineering or something along those lines at Camb or Oxford?

Yup, engineering at Oxford (UMS grr).
Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest