The Student Room Group

Are you only in this for the money?

At college yesterday, my teacher asked the question "how many of you are training as an accountant ONLY for the money?"

Everyone in the class put their hand up (about 30 of us)

I was quite shocked myself... I suppose ypu could understand this may be the case for many professions. But for no one to even chip in anything else. It's hardly a dream job, but surely there are more redeeming features other than money?

Are you only in this for the money, or was I just in a class of exceptionally downbeat individuals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pipsico
At college yesterday, my teacher asked the question "how many of you are training as an accountant ONLY for the money?"

Everyone in the class put their hand up (about 30 of us)

I was quite shocked myself... I suppose ypu could understand this may be the case for many professions. But for no one to even chip in anything else. It's hardly a dream job, but surely there are more redeeming features other than money?

Are you only in this for the money, or was I just in a class of exceptionally downbeat individuals?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, though it was a big factor in my decision. I am genuinely interested in it too
Reply 2
I think money is an important factor for any career, and people who are wanting to work in finance probably should be saying they like money.
However, you'll have to have at least some interest in accounting to be fully qualified as it's very difficult. If you get qualified without any interest in the subject then you are exceptionally gifted.
Yeah I'm looking to study Finance and Accounting at university mainly because of the job opportunities it provides. I guess it's money motivated work.
Reply 4
I want to do it for the money, but isn't that the whole point of having a job? The real question is why you're doing accountancy instead law/medicine which have good salaries as well.
Reply 5
Original post by ross95
I want to do it for the money, but isn't that the whole point of having a job? The real question is why you're doing accountancy instead law/medicine which have good salaries as well.

Because law/medicine are actually interesting/rewarding and do not just involve the counting of the beans?

If I trained to be an accountant, it would be for money only - although I recognise that some of the eg corporate finance stuff you may do later would be interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I initially chose accountancy for the same reason along with promotion prospects and job security. Unless you are completely money focused though you might struggle to stick it out. Only took me 6 months of my apprenticeship before I decided I couldn't do it and replanned my career route. Everyone else at my training college also seems utterly disinterested. Just choose wisely and consider what's really important before you write off how much job satisfaction means to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Money money money, maahhhneyy.
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3uipTO-4A[/video]

But seriously, you will only be average if you're in it for the money, you need to have at least a little passion and interest to progress further.
Well the job revolves around money. What other reason is there to pursue that career?
Reply 9
Original post by ChickenMadness
Well the job revolves around money. What other reason is there to pursue that career?

Money is a basic need, obviously the more the better!

But there might be a trade off between money and other things people would prefer to get from their job. Ie being part of a culture and making friends, job satisfaction and challenges.

I know I would happily accept £5k less if I worked somewhere I enjoyed. The only thing stopping me is fear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I don't think anybody who is studying for accounting can be solely in it for the money. I mean, naturally, money comes with any sort of role in the finance and accounting industry, but what about meeting new clients / creating relationships with colleagues / career progression / travel opportunity etc - All of which are applicable to it.

Just my two cents :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending