The Student Room Group

Current Year 13 Hopeful Medics - Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mynameisntbobk
[SCROLL]CURRENT YEAR 13 - MARK II :biggrin:[/SCROLL]

Well we've managed 10,000 posts in our first thread (bit crazy I think) so there's no reason as to why we can't do it again.

We've all officially applied so best of luck to all year 13s and all other medicine applicants.

To make following our applications a bit easier to follow, and if you would like your choices in the list below, please quote me and I can add it for you.
You probably would want to tell me the medical schools you've applied to, and quote me if your application status has changed. Interviews will be blue, offers will be green, and rejections will be red (fingers crossed there won't be a lot of reds)

Applicants

Ooh a brand spanking new thread, how exciting! :biggrin: Feel free to add me to the list:
Bristol, Cardiff, Leicester and Southampton :smile:
Very best of luck everyone :cool:
Oh god that must be awful. Hope do they manage to stay sane?

No idea. Kings is currently my favourite so by the time I get a response I probably won't be sane enough to do medicine anyway :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42

Well we've managed 10,000 posts in our first thread (bit crazy I think) so there's no reason as to why we can't do it again.

We've all officially applied so best of luck to all year 13s and all other medicine applicants.

To make following our applications a bit easier to follow, and if you would like your choices in the list below, please quote me and I can add it for you.
You probably would want to tell me the medical schools you've applied to, and quote me if your application status has changed. Interviews will be blue, offers will be green, and rejections will be red (fingers crossed there won't be a lot of reds)

Applicants

Hi can you add me to the list too :smile: I'm applying to Birmingham, Leicester, Manchester and Keele. I'm pumped up :biggrin:
Original post by qwertyuiopas
Newcastle, Cardiff, Exeter and Brighton & Sussex :smile:

Fingers crossed for everyone!

Original post by Tee Logan x
Imperial, Kings, Barts, Nottingham :biggrin:

Original post by t_weir
Ooh a brand spanking new thread, how exciting! :biggrin: Feel free to add me to the list:
Bristol, Cardiff, Leicester and Southampton :smile:
Very best of luck everyone :cool:

Original post by izzaha
Hi can you add me to the list too :smile: I'm applying to Birmingham, Leicester, Manchester and Keele. I'm pumped up :biggrin:

Added :smile: Good luck all
Original post by Flobie
No idea. Kings is currently my favourite so by the time I get a response I probably won't be sane enough to do medicine anyway :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Love that :wink: but yeah in all seriousness, you'll probably have a lot distracting you so it won't be too bad

Original post by finnthehuman
Kind of stalking( as mynameisnoob knows) I am a AS student.
Just seeing you guys have 57+ lol, I already have fell before that with my bad gcses(2/3rd A, rest B and no A*), seems like I got big competition and at places like Keele it was 2000 for 120 or so spaces? Wow lol, I better do good :P
Any advice for me, or any general comments?

Hey :smile: your GCSEs aren't actually that bad, though you're probably aware that some med schools will be out of reach.

Generally, work your arse of thus year, try and get the best AS' you can, as this can open up some potential doors. Don't worry about unis and stuff now, but when the UKCAT comes along, storm that and you'll definitely be able to get a few interviews if you apply smart. Don't worry about competition either, all med schools are competitive, just worry about yourself, and what you need to do to improve.
Added :smile: Good luck all

Love that :wink: but yeah in all seriousness, you'll probably have a lot distracting you so it won't be too bad

Hey :smile: your GCSEs aren't actually that bad, though you're probably aware that some med schools will be out of reach.

Generally, work your arse of thus year, try and get the best AS' you can, as this can open up some potential doors. Don't worry about unis and stuff now, but when the UKCAT comes along, storm that and you'll definitely be able to get a few interviews if you apply smart. Don't worry about competition either, all med schools are competitive, just worry about yourself, and what you need to do to improve.

Yeah I mentally prepared myself through the holidays and made a list of places I can actually apply, abredden, exeter and so on.
I read a lot about applying smartly, so if everything goes to plan I should be good :biggrin:, btw the spagetti guy kept posting about applying smartly to everyone lol.
It's actually quite scary when my college has 2% AAB or higher lol. I guess I will be one of the dozen or so :biggrin:. Worse yet no one got an A in psychology and I can see why, the teaching standards are BS, good thing I spend a lot of time revising lol.

LOL, I just read it and I said your name as 'mynameisnoob', sorry mynameisbobk
Reply 45

Applicants

I'm applying to Imperial, Sheffield, Leeds and Queen Mary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember last year, this thread will be rather emotional. Offers, interviews, rejections. This is the thread. I wish you the best of luck guys. :smile: Hopefully, this time next year, we'll be at medical school!!

Applicants

add me to this please, Barts, Leeds, Exeter and Nottingham!:biggrin:
Original post by StephenNaulls
I'm applying to Imperial, Sheffield, Leeds and Queen Mary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by blissfully
add me to this please, Barts, Leeds, Exeter and Nottingham!:biggrin:

Added :smile:

Yeah I mentally prepared myself through the holidays and made a list of places I can actually apply, abredden, exeter and so on.
I read a lot about applying smartly, so if everything goes to plan I should be good :biggrin:, btw the spagetti guy kept posting about applying smartly to everyone lol.
It's actually quite scary when my college has 2% AAB or higher lol. I guess I will be one of the dozen or so :biggrin:. Worse yet no one got an A in psychology and I can see why, the teaching standards are BS, good thing I spend a lot of time revising lol.

LOL, I just read it and I said your name as 'mynameisnoob', sorry mynameisbobk

That's good of you, applying smart will be the best thing. Well "the spagetti guy" is 100% correct about that :smile:
There's no reason why you can't be part of the 2%. Psychology is such a weird subject, I got a B in unit 1 then an A at unit 2, so I understand why your school may not have got the As, it doesn't get any easier at A2 either. If you are planning on dropping psychology, then aim for at least a C in it :yes:

Its fine :lol:
Reply 49
Original post by g.k.galloway
November 6th :s-smilie: the day before my 18th haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's good I think, do the exam and then go and have an amazing night with no worries about the Exam or anything else. It a celebration of the bmat survival you would have achieved by then and your entrance into adulthood:smile: have a good one.
Original post by Flobie
it was originally my 4th choice, but I went to the open day on Friday and kinda fell in love with it :smile: I spoke to the dean of medicine too! Terrifying moment, he asked me a few interview style questions..

Have you visited all your other choices before applying? I think your brave to have them in preference. I haven't and won't do that, I am only hoping for one offer. I like all my choices and that's why I visited 6 other medic schools openday, I don't want to be disappointment by having a offer for medicine but at a uni I am not keen on. So what's your order then :P
Added :smile:

That's good of you, applying smart will be the best thing. Well "the spagetti guy" is 100% correct about that :smile:
There's no reason why you can't be part of the 2%. Psychology is such a weird subject, I got a B in unit 1 then an A at unit 2, so I understand why your school may not have got the As, it doesn't get any easier at A2 either. If you are planning on dropping psychology, then aim for at least a C in it :yes:

Its fine :lol:

Actually, I am not bad, so far have been getting some solid As in it. Hope that carries on into the exam.
I will forget about everything else, except volunteering, which I should start soon and rip through these exams :biggrin: Hopefully in 2 years, I will be thank you guys for all helping me get in! Ganbette(good luck in Japanese)
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I remember last year, this thread will be rather emotional. Offers, interviews, rejections. This is the thread. I wish you the best of luck guys. :smile: Hopefully, this time next year, we'll be at medical school!!

Don't do this to us :tongue: we're still so young :tongue: this is gonna be brutal. Being the nosey little bugger I am, can I ask where you ended up applying?

Actually, I am not bad, so far have been getting some solid As in it. Hope that carries on into the exam.
I will forget about everything else, except volunteering, which I should start soon and rip through these exams :biggrin: Hopefully in 2 years, I will be thank you guys for all helping me get in! Ganbette(good luck in Japanese)

That's really good then, I personally could not do unit 1, I just didn't get it. Yeah definitely make sure you try to get some volunteering and work experience under your belt, and out of the way.
Thank you :smile: (thank you in English :wink:)
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to study Medicine at university. However, I fear that my GCSE grades are quite weak compared to other hopeful medics.

At GCSE I achieved 7.5 A grades, including English Lit./Lang and Double Award Science and also 2.5 B grades including Maths.

At AS I took Biology, Geology, Economics and Geography achieving grades a,a,a,a. I have since dropped Geography.

However, I do not have chemistry at A-level, in order to correct this I am going to be going to my local college (night school) to study AS/A2 chemistry in one year, so it is kind of like having a gap year I suppose, but will be seen as an academic endeavour. I am aware of foundation courses, but since I have missed the Medicine deadline (obviously haha) I may as well study chemistry in my year out.

I have arranged some work experience placements and a voluntary position at my local care home.

But my question is, are my GCSE grades too weak for Medicine? What universities would be best with my weak GCSE grades? And what would you recommend I do to improve my chances of securing a place?

I have had a look at other threads, but I am still unsure.

Thank you all very much!
TS18
Don't do this to us :tongue: we're still so young :tongue: this is gonna be brutal. Being the nosey little bugger I am, can I ask where you ended up applying?

That's really good then, I personally could not do unit 1, I just didn't get it. Yeah definitely make sure you try to get some volunteering and work experience under your belt, and out of the way.
Thank you :smile: (thank you in English :wink:)

Too many bloody studies, I tell ya.
I just did the cognitive psychology, the actual memory part only with Baddley, Conrad, jacobs, miller, peterson and peterson, bahrick all having different case studies. It's stupidly cumbersome on our brains to learn them all.
Reply 54

Applicants

Hi, I've applied to: Manchester, Keele, BSMS, Exeter :biggrin:

Good luck everyone!
Original post by TheStudent18
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to study Medicine at university. However, I fear that my GCSE grades are quite weak compared to other hopeful medics.

At GCSE I achieved 7.5 A grades, including English Lit./Lang and Double Award Science and also 2.5 B grades including Maths.

At AS I took Biology, Geology, Economics and Geography achieving grades a,a,a,a. I have since dropped Geography.

However, I do not have chemistry at A-level, in order to correct this I am going to be going to my local college (night school) to study AS/A2 chemistry in one year, so it is kind of like having a gap year I suppose, but will be seen as an academic endeavour. I am aware of foundation courses, but since I have missed the Medicine deadline (obviously haha) I may as well study chemistry in my year out.

I have arranged some work experience placements and a voluntary position at my local care home.

But my question is, are my GCSE grades too weak for Medicine? What universities would be best with my weak GCSE grades? And what would you recommend I do to improve my chances of securing a place?

I have had a look at other threads, but I am still unsure.

Thank you all very much!
TS18

Read above for your GCSEs, from what me and mynameisn'tbook said. Also, I don't know much about chem but I think it's okay to do so long as it's within the 2 years of your A levels. It does seem worrying that you don't know what unis you should apply for, especially after looking at a lot of threads, but fear not. All you need to do is Google, Medical school gcse requirements and check on a TSR link from there. It should give you an idea and then all you need to do is check their websites to make sure it's still right.

Yeah hopefully.. I'll be driving myself insane over exams instead :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by t()m
Have you visited all your other choices before applying? I think your brave to have them in preference. I haven't and won't do that, I am only hoping for one offer. I like all my choices and that's why I visited 6 other medic schools openday, I don't want to be disappointment by having a offer for medicine but at a uni I am not keen on. So what's your order then :P

All but Newcastle :/ I chose them based on the course really, I plan to visit Newcastle soon but I like the course and have spoken to a couple of current students there who went to my college. I haven't been to a Nottingham open day, but I went to medisix there, stayed in halls of residence and had lectures in the med school, plus learnt loads about the course, so I have a pretty good idea about what it's like there!

I've looked at a couple of other medical schools too, I had my heart set on Oxford for ages but decided I don't like the course. Although I secretly do have a bit of a preference, i take the same approach as you, it's gonna take so much work to get just one offer, so I made sure I applied to 4 med schools I'd be more than happy to go to :smile: I don't even know my order of preference any more, it's changed since visiting Cardiff and I try not to think about it any more :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh a new thread!

Applicants

Add me to the list please - I applied to Glasgow, Manchester, Aberdeen and UEA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest