The Student Room Group

Current Year 13 Hopeful Medics - Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Very true, I do like that idea, give a minute and I'll get that done

Where did you guys apply again?

Edinburgh, Newcastle, Nottingham and Oxford :smile:
Hy peeps, I've just noticed the new thread :h:
Why has only one person applied to Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
[SCROLL]CURRENT YEAR 13 - MARK II :biggrin:[/SCROLL]

Well we've managed 10,000 posts in our first thread (bit crazy I think) so there's no reason as to why we can't do it again.

We've all officially applied so best of luck to all year 13s and all other medicine applicants.

To make following our applications a bit easier to follow, and if you would like your choices in the list below, please quote me and I can add it for you.
You probably would want to tell me the medical schools you've applied to, and quote me if your application status has changed. Interviews will be blue, offers will be green, and rejections will be red (fingers crossed there won't be a lot of reds)

Applicants

Wow that's quite a lotta Notts in there. Add me please: Cambridge, Imperial, Nottingham and Southampton.
Good luck guys! Liking this new thread already :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secret.
Hi, I've applied to: Manchester, Keele, BSMS, Exeter :biggrin:

Good luck everyone!

Original post by letsbehonest
Add me to the list please - I applied to Glasgow, Manchester, Aberdeen and UEA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MrSupernova
Edinburgh, Newcastle, Nottingham and Oxford :smile:

Original post by natlynn96
Wow that's quite a lotta Notts in there. Add me please: Cambridge, Imperial, Nottingham and Southampton.
Good luck guys! Liking this new thread already :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

All added, good luck :smile:

Original post by finnthehuman
Too many bloody studies, I tell ya.
I just did the cognitive psychology, the actual memory part only with Baddley, Conrad, jacobs, miller, peterson and peterson, bahrick all having different case studies. It's stupidly cumbersome on our brains to learn them all.

Haha I remember memory, I liked it, but it was torture. There was also patient KM and patient HM we had to know about. Baddley did a lot of things so when in doubt, use him :tongue: I take it you do AQA A as well
Original post by Flobie
Yeah hopefully.. I'll be driving myself insane over exams instead :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha there's no winners in either situation

Original post by TheStudent18
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to study Medicine at university. However, I fear that my GCSE grades are quite weak compared to other hopeful medics.

At GCSE I achieved 7.5 A grades, including English Lit./Lang and Double Award Science and also 2.5 B grades including Maths.

At AS I took Biology, Geology, Economics and Geography achieving grades a,a,a,a. I have since dropped Geography.

However, I do not have chemistry at A-level, in order to correct this I am going to be going to my local college (night school) to study AS/A2 chemistry in one year, so it is kind of like having a gap year I suppose, but will be seen as an academic endeavour. I am aware of foundation courses, but since I have missed the Medicine deadline (obviously haha) I may as well study chemistry in my year out.

I have arranged some work experience placements and a voluntary position at my local care home.

But my question is, are my GCSE grades too weak for Medicine? What universities would be best with my weak GCSE grades? And what would you recommend I do to improve my chances of securing a place?

I have had a look at other threads, but I am still unsure.

Thank you all very much!
TS18

Your GCSEs just prevent you from applying to certain unis, but by no means is it bad. Your A-levels are probably going to be the biggest setback if I'm honest. By not doing chemistry, you've really limited the numbers of med schools you could apply to, and by planning on doing it next year (in a third year), it may not be counted by some unis, as they only use A-levels sat within the two years. I would advise that you at least do chemistry at AS this year, or if you wanted to do chemistry A2 also, drop either economics or geology so that your workload isn't too massive.

In terms of unis, Liverpool/Lancaster count As at GCSE the same as A*s, so that could be a good choice, unless they require chemistry. I would definitely advise Keele, they only ask for 4 As at GCSE and they only require one of biology or chemistry to A2 if the other is at AS
Reply 65
Original post by benwalters1996
Why has only one person applied to Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys,

Bristol, Kings, Barts, Dundee
I've applied to UCL, Edinburgh, Kings and Leicester :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Cambridge, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68

Well we've managed 10,000 posts in our first thread (bit crazy I think) so there's no reason as to why we can't do it again.

We've all officially applied so best of luck to all year 13s and all other medicine applicants.

To make following our applications a bit easier to follow, and if you would like your choices in the list below, please quote me and I can add it for you.
You probably would want to tell me the medical schools you've applied to, and quote me if your application status has changed. Interviews will be blue, offers will be green, and rejections will be red (fingers crossed there won't be a lot of reds)

Applicants

Hi, I've applied to Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Leicester. Please could you add me to the list! :smile:
Reply 69

Applicants

hey can you add me please…BSMS, QUB, Cardiff and Lancaster :smile:
All added, good luck :smile:

Haha I remember memory, I liked it, but it was torture. There was also patient KM and patient HM we had to know about. Baddley did a lot of things so when in doubt, use him :tongue: I take it you do AQA A as well

Wasn't patient KF by Shallice and Warrington?
Lol and that's true Baddeley has done a whole load of them. Yup AQA A, which question caught everyone out last time?
I've applied to Leeds, Leicester, Cardiff and Plymouth!

Good luck everyone
Original post by ladams
Hey guys,

Bristol, Kings, Barts, Dundee

Original post by rainerised
I've applied to UCL, Edinburgh, Kings and Leicester :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 9967
Cambridge, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by priyanka44
Hi, I've applied to Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Leicester. Please could you add me to the list! :smile:

Original post by summy96
hey can you add me please…BSMS, QUB, Cardiff and Lancaster :smile:

Original post by purplestrawberry
I've applied to Leeds, Leicester, Cardiff and Plymouth!

Good luck everyone

All added :smile:
Wasn't patient KF by Shallice and Warrington?
Lol and that's true Baddeley has done a whole load of them. Yup AQA A, which question caught everyone out last time?

It was KF :tongue: see I've forgotten it all. Oh which exam are you talking about? I sat unit 1 in January and missed the A by 2 UMS marks

To make following our applications a bit easier, and if you would like your choices in the list below, please quote me and I can add it for you.

Applicants

You can add me as Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham and UEA. With a Blue Durham!!! :biggrin:
Original post by RadioheadAnton
You can add me as Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham and UEA. With a Blue Durham!!! :biggrin:

Added :smile: and congrats on the interview. When is it?
Added :smile: and congrats on the interview. When is it?

20th November. Somewhat terrified! Got so much to learn in such a short space of time! :s-smilie:
Original post by RadioheadAnton
20th November. Somewhat terrified! Got so much to learn in such a short space of time! :s-smilie:

That's so soon :eek: I'm sure you'll be fine though. Just practice a lot and get comfortable speaking and you should be fine :smile:
Reply 77

To make following our applications a bit easier, and if you would like your choices in the list below, please quote me and I can add it for you.

Applicants

I've applied to Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester and Nottingham :smile:
All added :smile:

It was KF :tongue: see I've forgotten it all. Oh which exam are you talking about? I sat unit 1 in January and missed the A by 2 UMS marks

Dunno but I heard there was a real hard 12 marker at one point.
I wish I could sit this in Jan. People 2 years back were so lucky lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgiee_
I've applied to Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester and Nottingham :smile:

Added :smile:
Dunno but I heard there was a real hard 12 marker at one point.
I wish I could sit this in Jan. People 2 years back were so lucky lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jan 12 marker was on privation (yuck!!!) and June 12 marker was on cross cultural variation of attachments (what I wanted to come up in Jan!) It was probably the June 2012 exam which was on day care, now that was a horrible question.
I was lucky with the exam tbh, bar a few bad questions, the paper was really nice. I would assume that the next 12 marker will come from the memory section

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending