The Student Room Group

Studying while in the RAF

Evening,

Got my medical coming up in a few weeks for the raf and as a backup plan incase I fail I've been looking at going back to uni, and looking at the option of studying whilst serving.

Got me thinking how do people study for degrees whilst int raf as most degree programmes are full time? Do they only do open university programmes? or can you only study subjects that are available as part time?

Also I know the raf are willing to pay towards your studies, does that only count if I wanted to study something that would benefit the raf? Or does it not matter what I wanted to study?

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jebbadiah
Evening,

Got my medical coming up in a few weeks for the raf and as a backup plan incase I fail I've been looking at going back to uni, and looking at the option of studying whilst serving.

Got me thinking how do people study for degrees whilst int raf as most degree programmes are full time? Do they only do open university programmes? or can you only study subjects that are available as part time?

Also I know the raf are willing to pay towards your studies, does that only count if I wanted to study something that would benefit the raf? Or does it not matter what I wanted to study?

Cheers.

Quote a lot of places now do Distance Learning, which is what I believe you'd have to do within the RAF - no part time courses. And no, within reason you can get money towards any degree course.

Has to be said, while people have done it, doing a degree while serving is by far the hardest way of doing it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Cheers pal.

I'm looking at doing aerospace engineering but no idea where they would do that distance learning cause if think it's a lot of practical stuff aswell but I can have look around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Cheers pal.

I'm looking at doing aerospace engineering but no idea where they would do that distance learning cause if think it's a lot of practical stuff aswell but I can have look around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a serving member of the Royal Air Force (15yrs) and I am currently studying for a HNC in Electrical Engineering via distance learning. Like all forms of study it takes discipline.

You are eligible for Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC - x3 - One claim per year to pay 80% of a course up to a value of £2000 - So if you select a course worth £2400 you'll only pay £400 with you getting the full benefit of that ELC) once you have served a sufficient amount of time. You are also entitled to Standard Learning Credits but these are of a much smaller value (Use them for small courses such as whatever standard the old European Computer Driving Licence is at now).

Whilst serving they can only be used for courses which benefit the RAF although this is down to the opinion of whomever authorises it, this is subjective and I have known Engineers to get some of their costs for a Private Pilots Licence paid for (Justification: To give them a greater appreciation of what Aircrew require from their Aircraft so as to enhance their approach to maintenance - Bull**** but it worked). Once you leave the forces or are on Resettlement, these ELC's can be used for whatever you wish.

As for modes of study, the majority like I am doing accomplish this through Distance Learning, very handy if you are in a Role which sees you deployed a lot. You may be lucky and end up posted to a unit which not only lies within close proximity to a decent College or Uni but also has the flexibility and decent level of Management which recognises such Subordinate Development.....don't take this as granted though.
Reply 4
Cheers pal. Explains a lot!

And I will try that pilots license one for myself if I get in haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not quite correct. ELC's can be used for any Level 3 or higher qualification that is properly certified.

Studying whilst serving is very hard and requires a lot of work. It would only be something you should attempt once through whatever training system you join under and are in a 'steady' posting.
Reply 6
Original post by ProStacker
Not quite correct. ELC's can be used for any Level 3 or higher qualification that is properly certified.

That'll be why there's a box on the ELC form which requires your line manager's support....

Like I said, it's subjective and most courses (within reason) can be justified with the right choice of words.
Original post by Per Ardua
That'll be why there's a box on the ELC form which requires your line manager's support....

Like I said, it's subjective and most courses (within reason) can be justified with the right choice of words.

You misunderstand. The support from your line manager is a check that someone in your chain of command thinks you are able to undertake the study. They sign to say they understand you are undertaking study and support you in your effort to better yourself. I signed enough off in my time. The actual details from the ELCAS website are:

This commitment will provide access, free from tuition fees, for your:

First Level three or national equivalent. This refers to a first full Level three i.e. the achievement of two GCE A levels (A2) (passes at A-E) or vocational equivalent as defined by the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) or the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) (England and Wales); or in Scotland a Level six qualification (SVQ Level three on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF).

Or a first foundation degree or first full undergraduate degree or national equivalent. Typically to be eligible for this support, the higher education qualifications would be at levels four-six of the Framework for Higher Education and Qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (FHEQ) eg: a first undergraduate degree (including foundation degree) or Higher National Certificate or Diploma for which the entry qualification is lower than a degree and which normally takes place at a publicly funded institution.

In Scotland the equivalent qualification is a Higher National Certificate (HNC), Higher National Diploma (HND) or a first undergraduate degree, undertaken at a further education college (FE college) or a higher education institution (HEI).

As far as 'benefit the RAF', the passage from JSP 898 that is relevant is:

The proposed activity must be of direct benefit to the Service and have a substantial developmental value, as far as can be judged, appropriate to the applicant’s personal development goals and within the applicant’s ability.
Applicants are required to demonstrate that their proposed course of study is derived from a process of careful planning. They must provide evidence of such planning (e.g. from Personal Development Plans (PDP) in their PDR) as a condition of approval of the claim.

'Intellectual development' is sufficient for such a study and most Education Centres can help advise on this.
Reply 8
You misunderstand.

I think you'll find I do not.

As far as 'benefit the RAF', the passage from JSP 898 that is relevant is:

The proposed activity must be of direct benefit to the Service and have a substantial developmental value, as far as can be judged, appropriate to the applicant’s personal development goals and within the applicant’s ability.

You've kind of backed my point up with that little extract. It's one of those ambiguous lines perpetuated throughout our higher level Orders that, when applied by the relevant arbiter, can stop some good plans if not presented properly. Now I do not doubt your own understanding and awareness of this topic (And I mean that with no disrespect), but SAC Bloggs fresh from kicking tyres and lighting fires on the flight line, pitching up at his local Training Development Flight asking to use an ELC for a degree in Media Studies or something similarly non-related to his primary role may be sent away sharpish.

We could of course agree to disagree as we seem to have our own set of views on this but as long as the OP has gained the knowledge he first set out for then that's a result.

'Intellectual development' is sufficient for such a study and most Education Centres can help advise on this.

Good luck using that one here in the grim north; unless the course is directly related to your trade then the learning centre will not sign it off.
Cheers pal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What trade are you looking to join as? Staffordshire Uni have started a programme whereby your trade training maps directly over to higher level credits towards a HNC/Degree.

For example, the ICT trade training course makes up 75% of a HNC. Two 15 point modules and the HNC is done. A further trade course makes up 50% of the second year, meaning that you can go from having no higher quals to a Foundation Degree in 9 months.

I think that other technical trades are also being supported by Staffs but would need to check and get back to you.
Reply 11
I'm going for ASOp so not very technical really haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going for ASOp so not very technical really haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair one. How far down the application process are you?

Do you not fancy the technical side of things?
Reply 13
I've just graduated with a BEng in Aircraft Engineering (Distinction), and I'm planning on completing 50% of the required modules for the Honours by the start of IOT, before picking up the last two in January 2015 (hopefully), as I can't see there being any real free time what with Phase 1/2 training prior to then.

There are plenty of distance-learning degrees but, if you're especially keen on Aerospace/Aeronautics, I'd suggest making sure (obviously) that:

The degree is accredited (RAeS, other authorised industry body form EngConUK)

Many part time engineering degrees can be very, very long (e.g. six years part-time).

If, unfortunately, you're unsuccessful perhaps look at completing an Ordinary Degree and then bumping it up to Honours, or completing the entire degree, prior to attempting service again?
Reply 14
I've actually got my fitness test tomorrow! So I'm almost done. Been waitin for what feels like years in the application process! I was thinkin if it's just not possible to complete a degree in that subject while serving I would do my A levels maths and physics as a private candidate and then go back to uni after I've served. That would mean I wouldn't have to sit any foundation or access to higher education courses. If that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I did fancy avionics but I don't have any science qualification. Plus I want to be ABM, which was my initial application but failed aptitudes, so it seems like a natural progression from ASOp to ABM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did fancy avionics but I don't have any science qualification. Plus I want to be ABM, which was my initial application but failed aptitudes, so it seems like a natural progression from ASOp to ABM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you know what you are getting into then good luck and hope it goes well.
Reply 17
I went to scampton to view the role and everyone I spoke to said it was boring and crap haha. But I'll be lookin to work my way so I'm sure I'll have lots to do! Passed my fitness test today so I'll soon find out about the studying stuff!

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to scampton to view the role and everyone I spoke to said it was boring and crap haha. But I'll be lookin to work my way so I'm sure I'll have lots to do! Passed my fitness test today so I'll soon find out about the studying stuff!

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd urge you to consider what they said... I know you have made up your mind, but please have a think!
Reply 19
What do you mean? Are you ASOp?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest