The Student Room Group

Modifying this dress so I can wear it with trousers or skinny jeans.... a good idea??

I was thinking of getting a dress like this and then cropping it so it comes up to just below the bum so I can wear it with skinny jeans or a trouser like this. Would that look nice? or is it a bad idea?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Oooh! Can at least one person tell me whether this is a good idea or not. Pretty Please.:biggrin:
I probably should not have posted this so early in the morning
I don't think it will look bad but depends on exactly how it turns out.
Reply 3
I'm not sure that'd work very well.
Reply 4
Original post by Shelly_x
I'm not sure that'd work very well.

Umm why do you think so. Would t be better if I made it shorter? Maybe just above the bum or bit bum length?
Reply 5
Original post by Pallas Athena
I don't think it will look bad but depends on exactly how it turns out.

Well I'll have my tailor modify it so it will be done quite well.
Original post by LilacLily
Well I'll have my tailor modify it so it will be done quite well.

Then I reckon it will look pretty ace.
Reply 7
Original post by Pallas Athena
Then I reckon it will look pretty ace.

I'm not sure whether you are making fun of me or not.
But I shall count you as one who thinks it's a good idea
I'm not sure whether you are making fun of me or not.
But I shall count you as one who thinks it's a good idea

I don't know what gave you the impression that I am making fun of you but as I said earlier, I think it will look good. Therefore, it is a good idea.
Reply 9
You need to take it up further. Cutting it off at the thigh won't look very flattering. You'd be better off Getting a dress that flares out more, and is wavy at the bottom, and cutting it into this shape:

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 17.49.09.png

Sorry I cannot draw well but if you get what I mean, it needs to be looser at the bottom so that it flows nicely.
Reply 10
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
You need to take it up further. Cutting it off at the thigh won't look very flattering. You'd be better off Getting a dress that flares out more, and is wavy at the bottom, and cutting it into this shape:

Sorry I cannot draw well but if you get what I mean, it needs to be looser at the bottom so that it flows nicely.

Sort of like this? right?
Reply 11
Sort of like this? right?

Yes that's exactly what you want. Glad you understood what my drawing meant. If you're feeling creative you could even put a design onto that sort of t-shirt, to liven it up a bit. For example a beaded pattern around the neckline.
Reply 12

That's what I was trying to draw in my post.
Reply 13
Umm why do you think so. Would t be better if I made it shorter? Maybe just above the bum or bit bum length?

For the exact reason Tilly-Elizabeth mentioned :smile: I agree it needs to be like that.
Reply 14
Yes that's exactly what you want. Glad you understood what my drawing meant. If you're feeling creative you could even put a design onto that sort of t-shirt, to liven it up a bit. For example a beaded pattern around the neckline.

I just wanted that dress cos I really like the neck and the top half. I'll ask my tailor whether she could modify that dress to look like your drawing.I'm planning on wearing the outfit to a fancy function so I'm not sure beads would be appropriate. would it be??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I just wanted that dress cos I really like the neck and the top half. I'll ask my tailor whether she could modify that dress to look like your drawing.I'm planning on wearing the outfit to a fancy function so I'm not sure beads would be appropriate. would it be??

It's a very nice dress, but if you could manage to get it made to have a looser bottom then it would look much nicer. Otherwise if you want to keep it how it is consider cutting it off slightly lower (just above knee) and wearing leggings, though it may not be formal enough for the event you are going to. If you used some small elegant beads then they would look quite good, but it depends on how much time you have - they take a while especially with complex patterns.

Quick Reply

Latest