The Student Room Group

What is the easiest foreign language to learn?

Scroll to see replies

Apparently, Hungarian is quite easy because the pronunciation is very consistent (there are very few exceptions, unlike with French for example). There's also a lot of consistency with verbs, adverbs, adjectives etc.

It's not very useful though - only spoken in one country.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
^ I find French easier but I'd say Spanish is the easiest to learn. Or German for some.

Original post by ConnorB
Swedish is very easy, as is German.

Really? I take German A-level, and a really love it, but I wouldn't say it's easiest because some of the grammatical concepts are really tricky to grasp.

Particularly for English speakers, because the concept of having four different cases (nominative, accusative, dative, genitive) is quite difficult to assimilate, and many people can't understand the difference, as we have no real equivalent in English.

And we musn't forget adjectival endings! The three tables (definite article, indefinite article and no article) are pretty tough to get your head around...
(edited 10 years ago)
I would say maybe German?

I'm learning Old English at the moment, and the cases aren't hard to get your head around.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I didn't mean 'new'. I meant when you get to the case system. Sorry. :lol:
There are more than four? I thought there was just accusative , dative, nominative and something else. I forget the name - the ones that end in der, das, die and ein, eine, keine :dontknow:

Genetive?

I asked you if there were more. I thought there were only 4 :tongue:

And that ends in denem I swear

Der die das is nom
Den die das is acc
Dem Der dem is dat

Genitive is different

Yep, genitive is des, der, des, der. And the des ones as an -s or an -es to the end of the noun depending on whether it is monosyllabic or has more syllables. :yep:
Original post by Peaches & Cream
x

That is one of the points in German language which I realize, if I ask any English speakers for difficulties in my native language.
Just learn more Arabic.
Im just going to improve my arabic :smile: and learn basic spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kallisto
That is one of the points in German language which I realize, if I ask any English speakers for difficulties in my native language.

It's definitely difficult, but heck I love German! It's a beautiful language, I love the way it sounds and I love how logical it is. :love:

Once you get your head around the trickier aspects of grammar, it's even better! :heart: Cases have clicked, I understand them now!
Original post by nomadinthecity92
Just learn more Arabic.

Lool so weird how you typed this and i typed my above post at the exact same time with the same idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
Lool so weird how you typed this and i typed my above post at the exact same time with the same idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol. :smile: Since you already know some,I'm sure its not that hard to continue learning it more.
Original post by nomadinthecity92
Lol. :smile: Since you already know some,I'm sure its not that hard to continue learning it more.

In'sha Allah. I want to be fluent at basic arabic this time next year God Willing. I cant be asked with the different dialects
Reply 51
Im on a gap year and have always wanted to learn a new language so this is my perfect opportunity. What language is the easiest to get to grips with.

I can already speak English fluently and speak Somali, a bit of Arabic and Swahili :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I don't know about the easiest, but I know what the hardest one is! Mandarin. I think I'm going to learn it once I'm free, mandarin's an important language to learn, especially in today's business and economy :tongue:
Original post by Peaches & Cream
It's definitely difficult, but heck I love German! It's a beautiful language, I love the way it sounds and I love how logical it is. :love: (...)

Would you like to say that German language has a nice sound? nicer than Roman languages?
It really depends on your interest in a language. :smile: I've found that the more I loved a language, the easiest it was for me to learn it as the work was no longer a CHORE, you know. But on the other hand, I admit that regardless of motivation, there are some hard and easy languages. For example, Russian would be the hardest language in the world for me (because its grammar and alphabet are so different from my native language :lolwut:) and the easiest would be Spanish/ Italian (because they are both Romance languages :smile:).

EDIT: I don't count English because everyone speaks it nowadays.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Im on a gap year and have always wanted to learn a new language so this is my perfect opportunity. What language is the easiest to get to grips with.

I can already speak English fluently and speak Somali, a bit of Arabic and Swahili :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

American.
Im just going to improve my arabic :smile: and learn basic spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on a gap year too and currently learning Spanish. It's really good, I highly recommend it :smile:
Original post by SoftPunch
American.

The only difference is the accent which i dont really see point of learning.

Would like to lean a few of their sland words though xD
Have these people studied them concurrently? Obviously, there is no way to tell which is easier if you study one after the other. :dontknow:

Besides, OP, Esperanto is the easiest! Good luck finding anybody to take to in it though :lol:
Why do people keep saying German?! It's group Ib in the language difficulty index! Probably to do with the case system.

If you can't handle cases, German is difficult. However, difficulty with cases isn't universal. We grow up differently, we are exposed to different influences, we randomly develop idiosyncratic attitudes to learning and particular cultures. That's chaos theory for you.

I learnt Latin first at home when I was 12, and Latin has six cases. The course taught them straight off, in the first week, as well. And I never realised that I was supposed to find cases difficult as a concept for years. I'm really not that bright, either. (I believe the technical termfor me is: ******* terrible at languages!) I just wanted to learn it, and I was willing to cope with languages having their own system of grammar back then, without throwing a tantrum about it.

As for adjective agreement... German has nothing on Latin. Basic Latin required learning three types of adjective formation, plus their exceptions and irregular occurrences, in *takes deep breath*
masculine, feminine, neuter, masculine plural, feminine plural, and neuter plural,
*takes another breath*
across nominative, vocative, accusative, dative, genitive and ablative cases. That's 36 formations. Thankfully, many of the individual forms are duplicates.

I tried French. Hated it.
Tried German. Loved it.
I've now started making myself do French again. I have developed the "but English doesn't have that, why does this?" *waaaaaah, waaaaaaah* attitude, so I still heavily dislike it compared to German :biggrin:, but as it's still a language, and I love languages, I'd still rather study it than many other subjects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
If you know french it's really easy to learn Spanish and vice versa but in my opinion Spanish is most likely the most easiest european language to learn. Since your most likely european or know a european language (i.e. English) I suggest you stick with learning a european language to learn because it will be much easier this way!:biggrin:
Reply 59
What is gen then? I can't remember...

Denem desem or something

And you have a phone on? And using it?

It's not an exam. We are just in the lab doing some experimentation :lol:

I'll explain it when I get back home. I've got maths right now :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending