The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bambiislegless
I applied for accommodation about 2-3 weeks ago online. I think my choices were College Wynd, Robertson somethingsomething and..-- the last one has escaped me, oops. But I didn't receive any sort of conformation email or anything of the sort. I was just wondering if I'm supposed to have heard anything by now in case I messed up the application and need to do it again?

i never heard back either so i just emailed them to make sure they'd received it and they had. so i think it's normal not to hear back, but you could always email them to make sure!:smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 321
I applied for accomodation before I firmed my offer, will I need to send off another application form? It was a conditional offer ... I also haven't heard anything back so that's a relief!
Original post by crmn96
I applied for accomodation before I firmed my offer, will I need to send off another application form? It was a conditional offer ... I also haven't heard anything back so that's a relief!

I believe that you'll only hear more once your offer goes unconditional because it is at that point they can actually allocate you a room.
Original post by aomme
I don't think it's fully booked yet, because I just asked their staff for information. Maybe its because the prices are SOOOOO high.... but in exchange to the privacy you would get if you like living alone. Most of the rooms that are left are studios. (I think)

Hi my name is Kerri, I work at Gateway Apartments. Just thought i'd answer some of your questions. IQ and ourselves are private accommodation so that may be why they don't come up as choices from the uni. We still have rooms at the moment and a choice between shared flats or single studios where you have your own kitchen. We have some great facilities such as a cinema, gym and workrooms in each block. The rent includes ALL bills as well as unlimited broadband, digital tv (there is a flat screen in each flat) and contents insurance. We do viewings mon - fri between 9 until 5 if any of you want to see the site for yourselves.

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/edinburgh/gateway-apartments

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to get in touch via email or phone if any of you have any further questions

Good luck with your search,

Kerri :colondollar:
Reply 324
I can't apply to accommodation on the website of Edinburgh. Terrible website. If I want to use my email adress it says 'This email is already in use', yeah duh, I just want to continue the process. But that is not possible. When I want to activate the code it says 'the code has expired, please reregister', but it is not possible to reregister. So I can't use two email adresses anymore and made a new email adress but I can't use that one either because the website remembers my email adress and now I am stuck in the application process with an email adress that doesn't work. :frown: anyone had these problems as well? I need another computer probably to try it again and then finish the whole application at once.
Reply 325
I will be studying 1st architecture at Edinburgh, and am choosing self-catered accommodation. Really need your help. I want to live close to where I attend classes and convenient. First question is the Edinburgh College of Art where 1st year architecture students go everyday? If yes, I will choose Portsburgh for 1st choice, however I have no idea which others shall I put for other 2 choice. Looking the comments in previous post, Kincaid’s Court and College Wynd are real convenient but heard that there will be noisy at night and are sirens the whole time, because they are in Cowgate area. That put me off because I am not a drinker. On the other side of ECA will be Mansion Fountainbridge and IQ Fountainbridge closest. I wonder how long to walk to ECA? Comment on them? And any other suggestion that is close to ECA and nice? Thank you.
Reply 326
Original post by Graaftel
I can't apply to accommodation on the website of Edinburgh. Terrible website. If I want to use my email adress it says 'This email is already in use', yeah duh, I just want to continue the process. But that is not possible. When I want to activate the code it says 'the code has expired, please reregister', but it is not possible to reregister. So I can't use two email adresses anymore and made a new email adress but I can't use that one either because the website remembers my email adress and now I am stuck in the application process with an email adress that doesn't work. :frown: anyone had these problems as well? I need another computer probably to try it again and then finish the whole application at once.

Did you try using different browser?
Reply 327
Original post by auditore_
Did you try using different browser?

Yes. I even tried using different computers in different countries. But I finally applied, just used a new email adress on another computer and got through the whole process in one go. So I just chose some random flats, but it's okay.
Reply 328
Original post by carnationlilyrose
That's quite a lot of questions! I can answer some of them second hand as my son lived for his first year at Portsburgh Court. Value for money - couldn't say, as we didn't look anywhere else. It is right across the road from ECA so the extra rent was compensated for in part by no transport costs. The kitchen was standard sized for a hall of residence, as were the bedrooms. Close enough to walk into town for the usual facilities. As for the friendliness of the people, well that's nothing to do with the hall of residence! There was a mix of students from ECA and UoE in his flat. They were all first years. You can choose which room you want, so he and a friend from home went into the same flat together. Don't know about smoking. If you are at George Square, it's further away than some other places, but I don't know much about them. It was a trouble free place to live for a newcomer to the city, but not cheap.

Hi, I will be studying 1st year architecture at Edinburgh, and trying to figure out which self-catered accommodation suit my course most. First question, does 1st year architecture students only go to Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) everyday? If yes, I will choose Portsburgh for 1st choice. However I have no idea which others flats I put for other 2 choice. By looking at the map, Kincaid’s Court and College Wynd are real close to and walkable to ECA. But heard from previous post that there will be noisy at night and are sirens the whole time, because they are in Cowgate area. That put me off because I am not a drinker. Do you have any other suggestion that is close to ECA and nice? Again on the map, Mansion Fountainbridge and IQ Fountainbridge are on the other side of ECA taht seem to be close. I wonder how long to walk from there to ECA? Comment on them? I really don't want to take bus everyday. Thank you.
Reply 329
Original post by theziutas
Just applied for Warrender Park Road, Warrender Park Crescent and Nicholson Street in thath order! :smile:

Exactly the same here! :smile:
What course are you studying? I'm 1st year illustration.
Original post by wmsinr
Hi, I will be studying 1st year architecture at Edinburgh, and trying to figure out which self-catered accommodation suit my course most. First question, does 1st year architecture students only go to Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) everyday? If yes, I will choose Portsburgh for 1st choice. However I have no idea which others flats I put for other 2 choice. By looking at the map, Kincaid’s Court and College Wynd are real close to and walkable to ECA. But heard from previous post that there will be noisy at night and are sirens the whole time, because they are in Cowgate area. That put me off because I am not a drinker. Do you have any other suggestion that is close to ECA and nice? Again on the map, Mansion Fountainbridge and IQ Fountainbridge are on the other side of ECA taht seem to be close. I wonder how long to walk from there to ECA? Comment on them? I really don't want to take bus everyday. Thank you.
I'm sorry, I don't know the answers to many of your questions. Most places in Edinburgh are walkable, but as it was my son who lived at Portsburgh Court and not me, and he didn't do architecture, I'm afraid you will have to ask some other people with more specific experience.
Hey, i've accepted my unconditional offer to do psychology at Edinburgh. I was wondering where the psychology lectures are held so that i know what accommodation is near the building? I'm hopefully gonna move into a self-catered girls only flat.
I was also wondering when to apply for accomodation - can i do it anytime or after i've applied to SAAS?
Reply 332
Original post by brownsugar-xx
Hey, i've accepted my unconditional offer to do psychology at Edinburgh. I was wondering where the psychology lectures are held so that i know what accommodation is near the building? I'm hopefully gonna move into a self-catered girls only flat.
I was also wondering when to apply for accomodation - can i do it anytime or after i've applied to SAAS?

The psychology department is located in George Sq. Most of the self catered accommodation is about 15 minutes walk.

To apply for accommodation you need to do it using an online link on the accommodation section of the Edinburgh University website.

They are already open so you can apply now. You will be given your allocation later in the summer.

SAAS is a separate application which is made independently of the accommodation application.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 333
Original post by Graaftel

I'm having the exact same problem, but I don't really want to use a different email address to apply for it :/ I might try emailing or ringing them and seeing if they can reset it somehow?
Original post by Psychd
The psychology department is located in George Sq. Most of the self catered accommodation is about 15 minutes walk.

To apply for accommodation you need to do it using an online link on the accommodation section of the Edinburgh University website.

They are already open so you can apply now. You will be given your allocation later in the summer.

SAAS is a separate application which is made independently of the accommodation application.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:
Reply 335
If you apply for accommodation at edinburgh are you guaranteed to be put in student halls/ flats because I've heard of people from other unis being put in flat out-with the main halls with just a couple of other people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by autautumn
If you apply for accommodation at edinburgh are you guaranteed to be put in student halls/ flats because I've heard of people from other unis being put in flat out-with the main halls with just a couple of other people

Please read the OP.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Please read the OP.

Hi, does anyone here know how long the tenure is for the accommodation, as in how many months do you get it for, once you've paid ?
Reply 338
Original post by Sidprasadd
Hi, does anyone here know how long the tenure is for the accommodation, as in how many months do you get it for, once you've paid ?

September - May. I can't remember how long you have it for after the last exam date, but the tenancy for accommodation run by the uni corresponds to term time.
Original post by Sidprasadd

It's always been around 38 weeks or so. But you should be able to check it on the Accommodation Services website.

Latest

Trending

Trending