The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hey :smile: anyone thinking of applying for the Deaconess accommodation? it sounds really good but there's no pictures for it and I think id rather see them first! or Canal Point the new accommodation by the student housing company? it looks amazing! also does anyone know why Chalmers Street has been taken off the accommodation page? I was going to apply for that :frown:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by eilidhkegg
hey :smile: anyone thinking of applying for the Deaconess accommodation? it sounds really good but there's no pictures for it and I think id rather see them first! or Canal Point the new accommodation by the student housing company? it looks amazing! also does anyone know why Chalmers Street has been taken off the accommodation page? I was going to apply for that :frown:

Deaconess isn't finished yet which is why there are no pictures. Chalmers is presumably gone because Accommodation Services are confident they don't need the additional capacity from Unite this year.

Deaconess sounds amazing! I'm guessing it'll be modern because it'll be brand new so I'm not doubting the quality at all. It's also in a stunning old building! My type of place :smile:

Will probably apply there as well as Chancellors.
Reply 83
Hiya. I've just made Edinburgh my firm so I thought it was best to apply for accommodation now, get it out the way. Anyhow, I really want en-suite, self catered however I'm just a bit worried that because they all seem to be leased rather than uni owned it might not be the same 'uni experience'. I was just wondering what people's experience of Blackfriars/ UNITE/ IQ was. Do you find that you still have the same kind of events set up for you and news given out about stuff or is it a lot more quiet and independent?

i was gonna apply for Chalmers as well... now i put Portsburgh, Blackfriars, and Deaconess in that order (Deaconess last because even though it seems cool it has shared bathrooms apparently and i'm hoping for ensuite)
Reply 85
Original post by SNR
Hiya. I've just made Edinburgh my firm so I thought it was best to apply for accommodation now, get it out the way. Anyhow, I really want en-suite, self catered however I'm just a bit worried that because they all seem to be leased rather than uni owned it might not be the same 'uni experience'. I was just wondering what people's experience of Blackfriars/ UNITE/ IQ was. Do you find that you still have the same kind of events set up for you and news given out about stuff or is it a lot more quiet and independent?

If you're applying through the University then you will be placed in a flat with people who also study at the university, so your experience wouldn't be changed.
I live at one of the self-catered en suite properties at the moment, all the same events are arranged as there will be R.As staying there and organising events. But even if you don't want to take part in events at your accommodation there'll be stuff on at uni, so you won't miss out.
Reply 86
Original post by lecornergirl
i was gonna apply for Chalmers as well... now i put Portsburgh, Blackfriars, and Deaconess in that order (Deaconess last because even though it seems cool it has shared bathrooms apparently and i'm hoping for ensuite)

It says on the UoE accommodation page that all the bedrooms in Deaconess are en suite, looks great and is really close to the uni so would be perfect for me, I'm just a bit unsure because there isn't any pictures up yet and I would like to see what the accommodation looks like before I apply!
It says on the UoE accommodation page that all the bedrooms in Deaconess are en suite, looks great and is really close to the uni so would be perfect for me, I'm just a bit unsure because there isn't any pictures up yet and I would like to see what the accommodation looks like before I apply!

yeah, I saw that too, but then in the application thing it said shared? so idk
accom.PNG is what the email they sent says
Reply 88
Does anyone know when the deposit has to be placed? I want to go to a different uni outside of UCAS but I won't find out if I get in until the 18th of August. I want to firm Edinburgh as a backup (I have an unconditional) and then withdraw if I get into the other uni.
Reply 89
I've applied to IQ Fountainbridge, Beaverbank and Deaconess, all in that order. All 3 of them look really good!!
Reply 90
Does anybody know how i would go about applying for halls in year 2, i know there is no guarantee of getting an offer but i would just like to know how to apply.
Reply 91
Hi! does anyone know if the flats in Chancellors Court/JB are all girls/all guys or mixed? thanks!
Original post by Aidan88
Does anybody know how i would go about applying for halls in year 2, i know there is no guarantee of getting an offer but i would just like to know how to apply.

You have no chance at all of securing a berth in halls in 2nd year. If you need university accommodation there is some stuff available for continuing students (see the website), but it's limited and expensive.
Original post by AnaC23
Hi! does anyone know if the flats in Chancellors Court/JB are all girls/all guys or mixed? thanks!

There aren't any flats in CC or JB. All halls of residence.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
There aren't any flats in CC or JB. All halls of residence.

How many rooms per floor?
Original post by euphrosyne

I think it's like 120 in CC. But it split into two halves - Arthur's seat and Crags. You can't actually go between them from the inside, which is annoying as you have to go outside to get from one side to the other.
Oh I didn't know accomodation is so in demand due to its generosity. I've got an offer from Edinburgh and have chosen my accommodation but I'm now not going to take it. Is there any way for me to cancel it? I tried but I cannot find a way. The accommodation page is not accessible after I chose it.
Original post by StephanPiskadlo
Does EDM class as ****ty music?:tongue:
Fair fair!

They actually ask you what kind of music you listen to if you choose the twin room option. :tongue:
Original post by Asklepios
I think it's like 120 in CC. But it split into two halves - Arthur's seat and Crags. You can't actually go between them from the inside, which is annoying as you have to go outside to get from one side to the other.

Oh god, and yeah, that does seem quite annoying :tongue:
Original post by euphrosyne

Varies. Several floors in JB have ~30 rooms, but the top and bottom floors only have ~12-15. In CC it's rather different, as the building is massive - but I suppose it's about the same, ~20 rooms share a pantry (I'm guessing).

Latest

Trending

Trending