The Student Room Group
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University

Napier Applicants for 2014 Entry

Thread for those of you applying to Napier for entry in 2014. Post here with questions, chat, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm almost ready to send off my application for Computer Security & Forensics. Just need to sort my reference out. Pretty excited, I love Edinburgh and I can't wait to move there. I'm eligible to skip year 1 of the course as well, which means I can save a years expenses :smile:
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
I'm applying for Computing, but I'm from London and never even set foot in Scotland before. Hopefully I'll be able to go to one of the Open Days soon... :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by chocolate buttons
I'm applying for Computing, but I'm from London and never even set foot in Scotland before. Hopefully I'll be able to go to one of the Open Days soon... :redface:

I'm sure you will love it, it's an amazing city. The tutors I spoke to at the open day praised it very highly, so much so that it is my first choice. I'm sure you will love it :smile:
Reply 4
Hi people,

Anyone applying for language with tourism management(spanish or french) studies?
Would be nice to chat with someone with common interest... or get some information about the university and life in scotland, cuz i've never been there:smile:)

Thank you!
Original post by Gintare2338
Hi people,

Anyone applying for language with tourism management(spanish or french) studies?
Would be nice to chat with someone with common interest... or get some information about the university and life in scotland, cuz i've never been there:smile:)

Thank you!

Hi I'm applying for tourism and airline management...I also live in Edinburgh so you can ask me if you want! :smile:
Hello,
I am applying for adult nursing conversion course I am already a psychiatric mental health nurse.
I'm coming from Ireland and just looking for some info regarding Edinburgh Napier and accommodation for the college, is there anyone people would recommend or not recommend? I'm not sure if there is a certain campus for nurses or how the college is divided into campuses?
Original post by Gintare2338
Hi people,

Thank you!

I am applying for Tourism Management and currently live in Dundee, so excited about moving to Edinburgh (although I will miss staying in Dundee :frown: ). I'm currently doing HNC Travel and Tourism so I can answer any questions you have about the course or life in Scotland. Or if you just want a general chat then thats cool too :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hi, I'm applying for languages with events management. So excited!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Applying for product design!
Hi all,

Anyone else who will be doing the MSc in Business Management course?

Thanks,

Richard
Reply 11
Hi,

I am looking to do the MSc in International Event and Festival Management in Sep 2014. Anyone else considering this course?

Thanks

Nisha
Reply 12
Hey everyone! Okay so basically I am applying for children's nursing in Edinburgh Napier,I am almost ready to send of my UCAS. I was hoping someone could help me with interviews etc, like when do they start giving out interviews? and what is to be expected in the interviews? Are they really nerve racking? Also does anyone have any advice on improving personal statements for children's nursing? This would be so much help! Thank you
Reply 13
Hi there. I'm a student at Edinburgh Napier in my final year. I'm actually in the Business School, so can't answer any questions directly to do with your course, but I have quite an extensive knowledge of the Uni itself, and would be able to put you in touch with someone if you have any specific course-related questions.

With regard to your interview, don't panic! As far as I'm aware, interviews aren't commonly required and students are usually only asked for interview if there is any confusion or anomalies to do with your application. BUT it might be different for your particular course. If you do get called in for an interview, all the University is looking to find out is how passionate you are about what you've chosen, and whether you have a good work ethic. Edinburgh Napier are a really inclusive Uni as opposed to exclusive, they want to ensure as many people as possible have access to a better future through education, so there will be no tricky or pressurising questions. It will mostly be about what led you to chose the course, how you'd apply yourself throughout, and what career plans you have.

Everyone is really friendly at the Uni, they'll make you feel completely comfortable and at ease. The important thing to remember is that the interview is not a test, its just a face-to-face to get a better insight into the person behind the application. Just be yourself and confident about what you want to achieve and they'll be more than welcoming.

Let me know if any other questions,
Sara
Reply 14
I also notice a lot of other people in this thread asking about Business School courses. I am in my final year of Marketing Management so have an extensive knowledge about the Business School, as well as a lot of contact for lecturers should you have any course-specific questions.

Edinburgh Napier's business school is amazing. The Events courses have a huge array of lecturers with direct industry experience (and contacts!) and continue to travel abroad/ manage events in-between teaching. One of the department heads is a key figure in organising Edinburgh Festival - you will find a HUGE amount of industry placement and experience opportunities throughout the course.

The library/ computer facilities are huge and the modules are very varied should you wish to focus on one particular aspect (you'll have the option to study international events, conference management, music management, marketing modules, digital modules. Loads.)

Let me know if any other Qs. I've also lived in Edinburgh most of my life so can answer anything to do with the city itself. It's an amazing place.

Sara
Original post by Jancalwell
Hey everyone! Okay so basically I am applying for children's nursing in Edinburgh Napier,I am almost ready to send of my UCAS. I was hoping someone could help me with interviews etc, like when do they start giving out interviews? and what is to be expected in the interviews? Are they really nerve racking? Also does anyone have any advice on improving personal statements for children's nursing? This would be so much help! Thank you 😊

Hiii!
Im applying for adult nursing :smile:
Ive had an acknowledgement email from them saying thanks for your application. Other than that no idea! Hope I hear soon. Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi do you know anything about the product design course there and what its like? Also what is the life in edinburgh?
Reply 17
Hi, I do have a bit of insight into Product Design as I went to the degree show last year and interviewed a few of the course's students for promo videos. It's a really comprehensive course. Of course most modules are concentrated on actual product design (digital media, materials, manufacturing etc), getting more advanced each term. But there's also option to take business-related modules. You usually are given optional modules every now and then so that you can tailor the course toward your career objectives. Also, this particular course offers placement opportunities in 3rd year - I did this in my first year as part of my course, it's an excellent way to get first-hand experience in the industry (and make industry connections!). Plus in your final year you'll have the opportunity to enter your work into various competitions. Napier is usually very well represented in these competitions and Napier students tend to win big every year that I have been here. The faculty has huge production rooms with loads of different machinery and equipment, and all the software is identical to those currently used in product design industries.

There's also lots of sponsorship and grant opportunities available should you wish to enter external product design competitions.

Life in Edinburgh is great. I don't know if you've been here before, but the city is like more of a town really - it's really easy to get around, you can walk almost everywhere (your campus would be about 20min walk from city centre, or 2min by bus). Too many good bars cafes and restaurants to list. Its not a major student city like Manchester or Newcastle, but I like that. Rent can sometimes be high, but it really depends on where you choose. Student halls are best for 1st years. Clubbing isn't as good as in Glasgow, but there's always something going on and loads of weekly student nights. Glasgow's only an hour on the train though.

Sara
Reply 18
Thank you so much! Edinburgh Napier is one of my top choices!

Original post by smyoung
Hi, I do have a bit of insight into Product Design as I went to the degree show last year and interviewed a few of the course's students for promo videos. It's a really comprehensive course. Of course most modules are concentrated on actual product design (digital media, materials, manufacturing etc), getting more advanced each term. But there's also option to take business-related modules. You usually are given optional modules every now and then so that you can tailor the course toward your career objectives. Also, this particular course offers placement opportunities in 3rd year - I did this in my first year as part of my course, it's an excellent way to get first-hand experience in the industry (and make industry connections!). Plus in your final year you'll have the opportunity to enter your work into various competitions. Napier is usually very well represented in these competitions and Napier students tend to win big every year that I have been here. The faculty has huge production rooms with loads of different machinery and equipment, and all the software is identical to those currently used in product design industries.

There's also lots of sponsorship and grant opportunities available should you wish to enter external product design competitions.

Life in Edinburgh is great. I don't know if you've been here before, but the city is like more of a town really - it's really easy to get around, you can walk almost everywhere (your campus would be about 20min walk from city centre, or 2min by bus). Too many good bars cafes and restaurants to list. Its not a major student city like Manchester or Newcastle, but I like that. Rent can sometimes be high, but it really depends on where you choose. Student halls are best for 1st years. Clubbing isn't as good as in Glasgow, but there's always something going on and loads of weekly student nights. Glasgow's only an hour on the train though.

Sara
Got an offer,making it my firm choice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest