The Student Room Group

What are the job prospects like for computer science?

As the title mentions.

If I was to achieve a 2.1 in computer science from the open university would I have much trouble securing a job?

Whats the demand like for jobs within the computer science field?
Reply 1
Original post by pappu
As the title mentions.

If I was to achieve a 2.1 in computer science from the open university would I have much trouble securing a job?

Whats the demand like for jobs within the computer science field?

With any degree, you are almost obligated to aquire experience and internships which are sometimes unpaid. 2:1 with no experience will be much more difficult.

Nonetheless its a great degree, my brother is currently doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try and secure some works experience along side it otherwise you may struggle.
^This. My friend recently graduated in Computer Science and managed to land a standard help-desk job, not sure what jobs actually use the computer 'science' side of it though
Reply 4
You should probably narrow yourself a little more than just Computer Science.

Too broad.
Computer science generally teaches you a bit of everything. You could probably get any basic IT job. It all depends on what you do along side your degree. I'm about to start a computer science degree with the OU too and at the moment i'm teaching myself Python and writing a few programs to develop my skills.

I think the best thing to do is choose the section you enjoy the most and pursue that pathway more in your own time, or take a few short courses in it after the degree. Also, try and get some work experience. That way you'll be more likely to get a job in the sector you want.

Demand for skilled programers is quite high so there's a lot of gaps in the job market. If you're good at what you do it shouldn't be too hard.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending