The Student Room Group

Typo on personal statement

I just realised I've spelt ophthalmology wrong on my medicine personal statement. I completely misspelt it as opthamology.

I'm dying right now. How the hell did I make this mistake after so many rereads.
Reply 1
"How the hell did I make this mistake after so many rereads"

Well, how many times did you read it? How many times did your friends, teacher, parents and goldfish read it? And between you, none of you spotted it.

A university will read it once, and probably won't have much time to do so. Why do you think they'll spot it in that one read through when nobody else managed to?
A university which cares about that sort of thing is not one worth going to.
I'm afraid for Medicine, you will be seen as a lazy candidate that doesn't perform a task as simple as proof-reading. Given the competetive nature of the course you will probably be rejected.

Good Luck :h:
You're gonna get rejected. :colonhash:
Reply 5
You'll be fine, it's a minor typo and most unis use a score sheet when ranking the ps. E.g. Motivation for medicine, skill etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It turns out I made the same mistake twice in the same paragraph. I genuinely thought that's how you spell it. All my research on eye diseases, and I just never realised that my spelling of Ophthalmology was wrong.

Argh. We'll have to wait and see. I think my application and grades are strong. It's a shame I had to give myself this setback.
Did you still get an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending