The Student Room Group

struggling to get a part time job

Hi i've been searching for almost a month now with no avail. I got shortlisted for next but didn't hear back from them. I've applied to literally everywhere I know had to do numeracy tests logical tests, personality questionnaires, had to write about my qualities so many times and still no luck! I got my CV checked on TSR too. I'm looking for a weekend job mainly but that doesn't seem like its going to happen so I have been searching for christmas temp spots. I'm currently studying at uni, I don't know if that puts prospective employers off?
Reply 1
Original post by Lay-Z
I've applied to literally everywhere

No you haven't :p:p
stop being 'Lay_Z' and you'll have a better chance :wink:
Reply 3
I've applied to every UK supermarket chain, and most of the retail shops I know, does anyone know anywhere that offer Saturday and Sunday jobs?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You can sign up to an agency it's there job to find you a job it's free what do you have to loose :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
£10 says you didn't look properly.
Reply 6
Original post by Eidas
You can sign up to an agency it's there job to find you a job it's free what do you have to loose :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say agency what do you mean? Could you link me to one?
Reply 7
Well they are dependant on your location Some general examples are RED recruitment, acorn recruitment, all staff recruitment if you'd like to tell me where your from I'd be happy to look for some agencies for you :smile: x bit you should be able to just google recruitment agencies in my area x x x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Keep looking. Go and hand your CV in to local shops and cafes. Look at any vacancies at the University or Student Union. Being at university puts off employers for full time roles, but in general people are happy to employ students because they are flexible and need the money. When you apply to chain stores you're always at the mercy of HR, so broaden the places you are looking at.
Reply 9
Original post by Eidas
Well they are dependant on your location Some general examples are RED recruitment, acorn recruitment, all staff recruitment if you'd like to tell me where your from I'd be happy to look for some agencies for you :smile: x bit you should be able to just google recruitment agencies in my area x x x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Birmingham
Reply 10
Original post by Swanbow
Keep looking. Go and hand your CV in to local shops and cafes. Look at any vacancies at the University or Student Union. Being at university puts off employers for full time roles, but in general people are happy to employ students because they are flexible and need the money. When you apply to chain stores you're always at the mercy of HR, so broaden the places you are looking at.

The university ones are so competitive because they all pay 8:30 a hour +, I've applied for 2 and haven't heard back, cafe sounds like a good idea thanks
Keeping going, don't give up, you will find a job sooner or later.
Reply 13
Same I've applied for about 60 places (no exaggeration) and had 1 interview
Reply 14
Where's this TSR CV checker?
you must be doing something wrong if you are applying to loads of jobs and not getting it :/

what is the location in which you wish to work in btw?
Reply 17
Original post by a chinese loser
you must be doing something wrong if you are applying to loads of jobs and not getting it :/

what is the location in which you wish to work in btw?

Birmingham
Original post by Lay-Z
Birmingham

Try looking around bullring, there must be tons of shops that are recruiting for christmas temps.
Also, you need to figure out what you are doing wrong in these interviews. Maybe your tone? Confidence? Attitude? Do you research the role? Do you research the company?

Usually you just want to impress :3
Have you tried many speculative applications? I went to a jobshop workshop yesterday and they suggested that a good way of finding part-time work is to email companies rather than handing out your CV so that it reaches the people you want to read your application directly, rather than waiting for a position to become available. For example, say you're looking for bar work - search for restaurants and pubs in your area on google maps and it'll come up with loads of different places down the side. Call a few and ask for the email address of the manager or recruiter, then send them a personal email (don't say sir/madam/to who it may concern) asking about any vacancies and attach your CV and cover letter. You can send of dozens of emails that way, but for the love of all that is good, do not send the same CV to everyone - tailor it to the company you're applying for, especially when it's a smaller business.

I don't know if you've done this already so I'm sorry if it's useless advice but it might be worth a visit to your student union. My university runs a job shop service where they can help you to find part time work, and they also let you know about any jobs going on campus, for example my university are currently hiring for extra people to work in the ticket office over Christmas. You should also visit your careers advisor who can help you with your CV/applications/cover letters/interviews etc etc.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending