The Student Room Group

Best college for Creative Media and Entrepreneurship?

Hello all!

I've got my IELTS result and very excitingly, my 7.5 overall score provides and encourages me apply for the MA courses I want. But I really need some advice in this case for I have to hear some "local" opinions.

Briefly, I want to study "Creative Media MA" and "Media Entrepreneurship MA". I've listed some great courses from various colleges and would like to consult you about them. So I'm listing my school opinions below and would be wonderful if you write me what you think.

P.S: I have a very strong academic and professional background from my homeland with 3.40 GPA. I really want to continue my PhD in England but of course financially, I'm a bit afraid of finding a part time job instantly so consider my job-need as well please :smile:

Here are the colleges;

Goldsmiths, London
Sussex, Brighton
Brighton, Brighton
Hertfordshire
Warwick, Coventry
Birkbeck, London
King's College

Waiting your thoughts, thanks in advance!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Amethrine,

I cant tell you which Uni's are best for your particular course, but I can give you a hint towards which Uni's are more respected over here.

Kings, Warwick and Sussex are probably the most prestigious of the group

Of those I personally would chose Sussex for quality of life and lefty politics, being situated in Brighton is a big plus.

After that, Goldsmiths and Birkbeck are both still very good and are both part of the University of London. Goldsmiths is very arty with a thriving social scene, and Birkbeck (my Uni) is very diverse, with the advantage that all classes are in the evenings making it easier to get a job to pay your way.

Hertfordshire and Brighton are lower in the league tables but both still good, Herefordshire location wise is my least favourite although was my second choice after birkbeck because the course they offered sounded very good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by martin_moo
Hi Amethrine,

I cant tell you which Uni's are best for your particular course, but I can give you a hint towards which Uni's are more respected over here.

Kings, Warwick and Sussex are probably the most prestigious of the group

Of those I personally would chose Sussex for quality of life and lefty politics, being situated in Brighton is a big plus.

After that, Goldsmiths and Birkbeck are both still very good and are both part of the University of London. Goldsmiths is very arty with a thriving social scene, and Birkbeck (my Uni) is very diverse, with the advantage that all classes are in the evenings making it easier to get a job to pay your way.

Hertfordshire and Brighton are lower in the league tables but both still good, Herefordshire location wise is my least favourite although was my second choice after birkbeck because the course they offered sounded very good.
Hi martin_moo,

Thank you so much for your enlightning answer. Sussex and Birkbeck are my priorities at the moment. Speaking of Sussex, is it true that flats and student life is cheaper than London in Brighton? There are so diversed comments on Internet so I'm a bit confused about the certain point. Would like to get an answer about it as well:smile:
Reply 3
Hey,

Yes Brighton is slightly less expensive rent wise, still not cheap though.

My best friend goes to Sussex and is staying in the halls of residence. What's nice is that they have put him with other fellow mature students in a lovely location on the sea front. He definitely pays less rent than I do being in London. On the other hand I get a higher student loan amount than he does being in London. So it probably balances out.
Both London and Brighton are very creative places so you will do well in either.

Hope this helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by amethrine
Hello all!

I've got my IELTS result and very excitingly, my 7.5 overall score provides and encourages me apply for the MA courses I want. But I really need some advice in this case for I have to hear some "local" opinions.

Briefly, I want to study "Creative Media MA" and "Media Entrepreneurship MA". I've listed some great courses from various colleges and would like to consult you about them. So I'm listing my school opinions below and would be wonderful if you write me what you think.

P.S: I have a very strong academic and professional background from my homeland with 3.40 GPA. I really want to continue my PhD in England but of course financially, I'm a bit afraid of finding a part time job instantly so consider my job-need as well please :smile:

Here are the colleges;

Goldsmiths, London
Sussex, Brighton
Brighton, Brighton
Hertfordshire
Warwick, Coventry
Birkbeck, London
King's College

Waiting your thoughts, thanks in advance!

Out of all of those although not highest ranked overall Goldsmiths is most well known/highly regarded for media. If your wanting to go onto do a Phd then the department you did your Masters is quite important. I know someone who was doing an MA in Film at UCL and used to go to Goldsmiths for part of her research because their department is so good.

As far as accomodation costs go Sussex is slightly cheaper than London, most unis only offer rooms at postgrad level to internationals so you'd need to find your own place.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending