The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Do Not Live At Eldon Court!!

hey if i was you i would NOT live at eldon court!!!! there mangement and service skills are the worst eva...as you can probably tell!

i lived there in my first year and it was a nightmare, as its all brand new let me warn you thats not a good ting! ok let me go through all the terrible tings that happend.....

first day we had to collect the keys they told EVERYONE moving in to come and collect the keys at 4pm due to the vast amount of poeple moving in obviously eveyone came at the same time and me and my mates had to wait from 4pm till 11pm YEP THATS RIGHT 11PM out on the streets to collect keys and the next day it was my first day at uni i thought what the F***!!!

few weeks later my window nearly fell out, the office closes at 6pm and so there was no1 to help me therefore i had to ring the fire brigade and tel them to help me. there is no cctv although they say there is it hasnt been working the whole year ive been there.

there is a card entry sytem which is hardly ever working.....they didnt fix the gates till feb and they have had soo many problems with the gates and due to this there has been numerous cars beening broken into. i used to see the police arriving nearly every night!!

nearly everyone plays REALLY REALLY loud music evan in the early hours and beacause there is none there you cant do anything about it and the fire alrams go of nearly every week for hours!!

water and gas bills ARE NOT INCLUDED in rent you have to top up electricity on the meter me and my mates ended up charging the meter with £10 EVERY WEEK.so basically your paying £10 a month for electricity. we got out bills at the end of the month and we had to pay £350 EACH CAN YOU BELVIE THAT £350 EACH!

throughout the whole year there were workmen on the site...as the halls havnt actually been fully completed yet so therfore workmen used to come at 8am and start there work so if your tinking about having a lie in 4get that!!

the only good thing abt these halls are that they are ensuite and both bathrooms and bedrooms are of a very good size!!

internet conecction IS NOT INCLUDED in rent you have to pay an xtra £180 to get the net for a whole year there are only 4 washing manchines on site!!

secruity is crap like f*** although they have put on securtiy codes on the main doors to get into your blocks they are always broken and the lift never works! my mate got stuck in the lift for a whole hour and we had to call the police because we cudont get hold of the people in charge!!

overall ELDON OURT IS THE MOST ****TIST PLACE TO LIVE IN LEEDS F*** THE LOCATION IM TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE AND WOULD RECOMMEND NO1 TO LIVE THERE!! COMPLETLY RUIND MY FIRST YEAR AT UNI.

if you have anymore questions jst reply back id be very greatful to help!!!

Scroll to see replies

Where abouts is Eldon court?I'm sure it's not even on the accommodation list this year, did you complain??I'm guessing that a lot of people did if it's not on the list this year!!
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
you bet we complained.....there not really student halls but the majority of people living there were all students! the halls are right opposite leds university ( parkinson building)!!!
Reply 3
my days, that is terrible!
OK I'm living at Eldon Court this year and it is NOTHING like that whatsoever.

For a start- gas, water and internet IS included in the bill which is £69 per week.
That's bloody good if you work it out.
Secondly I got my key and card straight away when we all paid our deposit.
Thirdly- I have had friends there who said it is perfectly fine.
Reply 5
Hey,

I just came to confirm the original post, I lived at eldon court last year from 2007-2008. Here was my experience:

Firstly upon arrival they hadn't cleaned the appartment, the kitchen was found in a dire state. Initially I had moved my stuff in and stayed there for a week, I went home for a week and then returned with more stuff. When I came back there was a sign on my bathroom door saying the shower had been resealed, there was a huge mess both on the bathroom floor and on the bedroom of what seemed to be chalk. What I had noticed is that my camera was missing. I knew I didn't take it home and it did look like they had rumaged through my stuff. I called the guy who is in charge of maintenance and he said he was sure that I had just misplaced it, he then kept calling me throughout the night tell me not to tell anyone. However I told the people at the reception desk the next day, it took them no less than 2 hours to find my camera. They claim that they had searched one of their employees and found it on him. They returned it to me, but all my pictures had been erased and the camera was scratched. The man was immediately fired and I called the police. The police told me it seemed like an internal job.

Other than that, when i first moved in I had noticed many things wrong. For instance there was a huge gap between the window and the wall. You could see outside through it. I informed them that I needed it plastered immediately, it seemed as if it would fall out. They informed me they would plaster it the next day. They didn't come the next day, so I went to see them, they said they would do it soon. After pestering them no less than 20 times in the space of 3 months, I finally had it plastered. This type of service carried on throughout the entire year. The building constantly did seem as if it would fall to pieces and often things needed to be done, but you needed to hastle them for about 20 times for them to do it, with the guy at the front desk assuring it would be done the next day.

Most of the people who live there are students who need a place to study. However eldon court is on a main road and the windows literally block out no sound, the constant sound of traffic will drive you mad and you definately cannot do any work in your room if you can't work with noise like that.

After arriving back from home after christmas me and my flat mates heard some loud hammering and chainsaw type noises very loudly. We lived on the ground floor and they were building a gym below us, these noises went on for the rest of the year and it was difficult to stay in the flat without being driven insane, again with the man at the front desk assuring me it would be over in less than a week. In april I decided to try to write them about it. I gave the letter to the man at the front desk, he then said he needed to type up the letter the people who owned the place responded with. It seemed highly suspicious, as you would think they would type the letter up themselves. The letter had denied making any noise, it was unbelievable. Since it was the last year of my degree though I needed to work constantly and just decided not to get involved in legal action.

So I left he place, I hated the people who worked there and I lived in dire conditions, you would think it was over. Well not quite, now they are trying to take £40 off my deposit and off the people I lived with. We had not damaged anything and we left the appartments in a clean state, the reason they did this they claim is because the shower heads and toilet basins needed a clean. I'm not kidding, their reason for taking £160 off us total is just that. I can assure you we left everything in a clean state, much cleaner than what we arrived to the place at.

So I'm trying to fight them to get the rest of my deposit back, but yet again that liar at the front desk is prooving extremely difficult to work with and I have to wait a week for someone else to call me back apparantly. I know they won't call though, so in a week I'll call them and see what I can do.

As a track record I'm not that fussy about places I live in, the accomodation in my first 2 years of uni was fine, I had no problems. But this company lies, steals (literally) and provides the most poor service of anyone I have ever dealt with. In conclusion, as the thread title says, DO NOT LIVE AT ELDON COURT, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS WARNING.
Reply 6
Depends on what you expect to an extent, I guess, but it sound like some people got burned :frown:

For the record, Opal is the best all rounder :smile:
Reply 7
for the price you pay...It has to be !
Good Lord...well the above post sounds like a terrible experience.

Sadly, though I will have to disagree with you. I'm at my second year living in Eldon Court and have had barely any problems at all, neither have lots of my other friends who are living here twice in a row.

I guess you must just have had a bad experience...
i have lived there for 2 years, the place is a dump.... the management are intolerable and hardly ever respond to requests, thefts by staff have been known to be common... I myself am taking up legal action against them due to their illegal group tenancies that they impose..

Although it is cheap for the location, I would recommend paying that little bit extra and getting peace of mind.

Examples of them trying to rip you off can be seen with them charging set up fees for the internet on laptops and taking 'cash' for it, but when contacting the ISP on the phone they clearly state that their should be no charge????seems the management are pocketing this ?!?

Windows have been known to fall out, the rooms are known to be poorly built and many issues have been taken up with the local council and police have been involved with these halls before....

I implore you to think carefully before signing or committing yourself to such poorly run student hall....they are dodgy middle eastern businessmen out to earn a quick buck in my opinion!!

my friend needed his shower fixing a while ago and someone came to fix it, his phone then went missing. He contacted the management and lo and behold the workers came back to him with his phone and obviously didnt want the police to be involved as it appeared that they were illegal workers!

my advice is to keep away....hope it helps
I Just Viewed A Flat At Eldon Court, 3 Chinese Girls Desperate To Move Out. Guys On Reception Eating Pizza With Their Feet Up, Looks Like A Real Dump. They Should Send In The Bulldozers Its Terrible
Reply 11
BUBBLE_GUM_CHICK
hey if i was you i would NOT live at eldon court!!!! there mangement and service skills are the worst eva...as you can probably tell!

i lived there in my first year and it was a nightmare, as its all brand new let me warn you thats not a good ting! ok let me go through all the terrible tings that happend.....

first day we had to collect the keys they told EVERYONE moving in to come and collect the keys at 4pm due to the vast amount of poeple moving in obviously eveyone came at the same time and me and my mates had to wait from 4pm till 11pm YEP THATS RIGHT 11PM out on the streets to collect keys and the next day it was my first day at uni i thought what the F***!!!

few weeks later my window nearly fell out, the office closes at 6pm and so there was no1 to help me therefore i had to ring the fire brigade and tel them to help me. there is no cctv although they say there is it hasnt been working the whole year ive been there.

there is a card entry sytem which is hardly ever working.....they didnt fix the gates till feb and they have had soo many problems with the gates and due to this there has been numerous cars beening broken into. i used to see the police arriving nearly every night!!

nearly everyone plays REALLY REALLY loud music evan in the early hours and beacause there is none there you cant do anything about it and the fire alrams go of nearly every week for hours!!

water and gas bills ARE NOT INCLUDED in rent you have to top up electricity on the meter me and my mates ended up charging the meter with £10 EVERY WEEK.so basically your paying £10 a month for electricity. we got out bills at the end of the month and we had to pay £350 EACH CAN YOU BELVIE THAT £350 EACH!

throughout the whole year there were workmen on the site...as the halls havnt actually been fully completed yet so therfore workmen used to come at 8am and start there work so if your tinking about having a lie in 4get that!!

the only good thing abt these halls are that they are ensuite and both bathrooms and bedrooms are of a very good size!!

internet conecction IS NOT INCLUDED in rent you have to pay an xtra £180 to get the net for a whole year there are only 4 washing manchines on site!!

secruity is crap like f*** although they have put on securtiy codes on the main doors to get into your blocks they are always broken and the lift never works! my mate got stuck in the lift for a whole hour and we had to call the police because we cudont get hold of the people in charge!!

overall ELDON OURT IS THE MOST ****TIST PLACE TO LIVE IN LEEDS F*** THE LOCATION IM TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE AND WOULD RECOMMEND NO1 TO LIVE THERE!! COMPLETLY RUIND MY FIRST YEAR AT UNI.

if you have anymore questions jst reply back id be very greatful to help!!!

then where is fine to live???
Has Eldon Court improved since then??! or has anyone any good reviews about it?? Am very concerned about the above posts! eek! I have lived in private halls like this before when I was an undergraduate, so can expect a long time for repairs to happen etc! :-(, I am now going back as postgraduate at Leeds uni so if I lived at eldon court I would be concerened about the fact that the windows don't block out the noise!! What are the facilities like that they offer? i.e. the gym, community room etc.

Please reply cheers :smile:
#Strong repost on dead thread. This is about 6 years old. Things change in that time...
Reply 14
and they can also stay pretty much the same. Anyone with any recent info? The location is ideal!
Reply 15
eldon court has changed a looot + im going dere next year so yeep its overall pretty great :smile:

Hey!!
Does anyone have any recent feedback from living at Eldon Court?? Would be a great help to those considerating to live there next year!:smile:
I can confirm you guys that Eldon Court didn't improve at all! It sucks like the old days! the management doesn't give a **** about their tenants at all! They love doing whatever whenever they want to do to your flat!

They can say, we are going to change the carpet to wooden floor now, so you need to pack up everything and move out from your room for a day (if you are lucky!) or they will bring people to up for viewing without noticing! so you may get caught taking a shower or writing essay when you are naked!

I guess they are a family business, so no matter how many complains they get guess they won't change much! And my flatmate get sexually harassed by one of the stuff in the lift while she tried to get home! The management is rude and disgusting!

Don't get fool by the low price! They will try their best to squeeze your money out from your pocket! Last time, my friend forgot to bring his key with him so he got locked out, he tried to get in touch with the management, and he agreed to pay £30 to just let him in. But their reply is: I am in Manchester at the moment and I am not coming back just to let you in. Find somewhere to stay for a weekend, we will let you in on monday! It happened during the exam period as well!

The management is trying so hard to piss everyone off and ruin your life! Please listen to the advice, DO NOT LIVE AT ELDON COURT! THIS PLACE IS A ****HOLE!
Original post by Eldon_hater
I can confirm you guys that Eldon Court didn't improve at all! It sucks like the old days! the management doesn't give a **** about their tenants at all! They love doing whatever whenever they want to do to your flat!

They can say, we are going to change the carpet to wooden floor now, so you need to pack up everything and move out from your room for a day (if you are lucky!) or they will bring people to up for viewing without noticing! so you may get caught taking a shower or writing essay when you are naked!

I guess they are a family business, so no matter how many complains they get guess they won't change much! And my flatmate get sexually harassed by one of the stuff in the lift while she tried to get home! The management is rude and disgusting!

Don't get fool by the low price! They will try their best to squeeze your money out from your pocket! Last time, my friend forgot to bring his key with him so he got locked out, he tried to get in touch with the management, and he agreed to pay £30 to just let him in. But their reply is: I am in Manchester at the moment and I am not coming back just to let you in. Find somewhere to stay for a weekend, we will let you in on monday! It happened during the exam period as well!

The management is trying so hard to piss everyone off and ruin your life! Please listen to the advice, DO NOT LIVE AT ELDON COURT! THIS PLACE IS A ****HOLE!

Its too late, I've booked my place! :frown: its til june, so I'll probably find a house to live in over summer! :smile:
Reply 19
Hi guys. I'm just arrived in Leeds...looking for an accomodation. Can anyone tell me which is a good place to stay considering I'll be studying at Leeds uni Business school?
Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending