The Student Room Group

Which supermarkets do you avoid?

Scroll to see replies

Those avoiding Lidl are missing out on really cheap but excellent quality meat. Plus you can get avocados for 50-70p each which is a bargain compared to the main supermarkets.

I generally avoid Morrison's, **** quality meat.
None. I shop at tesco, iceland & morrisons, the first 2 because they're beside my flat and morrisons because i work there and get a discount.
Tesco and Waitrose because they are too expensive... Oh and M&S now but I used to go in there to buy bits when I had a job. :ashamed2:

Iceland, their frozen desserts are nice but the cheap frozen meat makes me feel a little bit ill.
Asda can be a bit dodgy, also their aisles are too small (at least the ones near me)

Aldi is amazing quality for the price! I love Aldi, I don't know why people slate it. I prefer Aldi to Lidl - some Lidl stuff can be a bit dodgy.

I also like Morrison's and Sainsbury's but I don't go in there as much because Aldi is cheaper and same quality products.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Not a big Asda fan...
Reply 44
ASDA + Waitrose.

Asda have poor quality food and Waitrose is stupidly expensive.
Original post by SecretDuck
Aldi :sadnod:

their hazelnut chocolates are amazing though :drool:
Original post by Fullofsurprises

I know what people mean about Tesco, the real issue I have with them is how substandard a lot of their stuff is for the price - some of their vegetables and salad items are just awful. The Finest range is to be avoided generally.

Disgusting snob.
None, food is food!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lady Comstock
Disgusting snob.

Not at all, I just think Tesco are particularly poor quality for the price in many areas. They do a lot of 'passing off' of slightly substandard stuff. It's nothing to do with snobbery.
Original post by victoriajackson
For me it's Tesco and yes I would/do.

I refuse to buy from Tesco because they're everywhere, so far in a lot of areas I go to they have completely destroyed business for small business and shops by shoving their tesco express shops everywhere.

ditto, plus technically I'm banned :oops: :colondollar:
I avoid Lidl and Aldi. I don't have a Morrisons anywhere near me - never been there.. And eek I love Iceland and Sainsburys. Hated Tesco till they opened up a small store a couple of mins away from my house.
Original post by Alfissti
When I'm in England I normally shop either at a M&S, Waitrose or Sainsbury's but I don't avoid any stores other than Lidl, Aldi and Iceland...... find it to be full of chavs, benefit scroungers and the usual under-class plebs plus their products are pure crap too.

Or you know - they're just on a budget. My mum's always shopped at Aldi and I can happily say that we're neither chavs nor benefit scroungers. Nor have we ever experienced any trouble from these often perfectly friendly "under-class plebs" you speak of (although I suppose we'd count as one of them for shopping at Aldi).

Bloody supermarket snobs with their Waitrose superiority complex. :angry:

*EDIT* Oh, and I'll think you'll find that the quality in Aldi is actually very good once you get over your snobbery. The reason it's so cheap is because it's mainly own brand and they don't employ many workers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Waitrose, Co-op, Sainsburys, Farm Foods. I LOVE LIDL AND ALDI.
When I'm in England I normally shop either at a M&S, Waitrose or Sainsbury's but I don't avoid any stores other than Lidl, Aldi and Iceland...... find it to be full of chavs, benefit scroungers and the usual under-class plebs plus their products are pure crap too.

Surely this can't be serious.
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
ditto, plus technically I'm banned :oops: :colondollar:

You're banned from Tesco? Do tell. :biggrin:
Uhhhhhhhh not much of a story, I just stole some things :s-smilie:

It's great having no neg rep, or I couldn't have been so honest :tongue:

I'd just like to add, stealing is stupid and I'm never going to steal again. :smile:

Now I wish I had some entertaining story of me running through Tesco naked or something :laugh:
Reply 57
Original post by meenu89
Try Iceland, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not into buying frozen food stuff other than peas and since I rarely ever cook any meals when I'm in England it's usually a quick sandwich from the coolers, something hot from the deli section and perhaps some bread to go with it.

Plus in addition to the reasons I stated earlier, I somewhat dislike them due to their treatment of British dairy farmers.
Reply 58
I'm not into buying frozen food stuff other than peas and since I rarely ever cook any meals when I'm in England it's usually a quick sandwich from the coolers, something hot from the deli section and perhaps some bread to go with it.

Plus in addition to the reasons I stated earlier, I somewhat dislike them due to their treatment of British dairy farmers.

Idiot, is all I have to say.

I avoid Asda's, Never liked it, and considering the nearest Asda is in a place, where it's generally not nice at all.

Went in Aldi or Lidl once, Hated it, WAY too small, isles etc, one worker had one of them crane things or something to add to the cramp, without much room for that worker to move, it's bloody awful, but their doughnuts and Chocolate is very nice though, shame about the small, cramped, disgusting look of the place.
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
Now I wish I had some entertaining story of me running through Tesco naked or something :laugh:

Ha, yeah that would be cooler than shoplifting anyway. :smile: Hope you don't spend too many years banned, it would be harsh if you weren't allowed to re-enter a Tesco for the rest of your life. Although personally I could cope with that. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest